Author Topic: Illegal: barter currency  (Read 8681 times)

Online IronDioPriest

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I refuse to accept my civil servants as my rulers
Re: Illegal: barter currency
« Reply #20 on: April 08, 2011, 03:21:12 PM »
Bartering is a HUGE - HUGE - HUGE - underground economy.

I do it as often as possible !

Most proprietors do. Business owners develop a network of 'symbiotic' local businesses with whom they do business regularly and with whom there is mutual trust. Bartering is a regular thing among them - the norm, not the exception.
"A strict observance of the written laws is doubtless one of the high duties of a good citizen, but it is not the highest. The laws of necessity, of self-preservation, of saving our country when in danger, are of higher obligation. To lose our country by a scrupulous adherence to written law, would be to lose the law itself, with life, liberty, property and all those who are enjoying them with us; thus absurdly sacrificing the end to the means."

- Thomas Jefferson

Offline John Florida

• Conservative Superhero
  • IT'S MY FONT AND I'LL USE IT IF I WANT TO!!
« Reply #21 on: April 08, 2011, 03:32:48 PM »
If I told you what I traded for you wouldn't believe it.
All men are created equal"
 Filippo Mazzie

Offline rickl

• Established Member
« Reply #22 on: April 08, 2011, 05:49:04 PM »
He's in trouble for mimiking too closely, US money, not for bartering.  Using the term "dollar" is a no no.

You just can't go creating your own monetary system.

Even if it is probably more stable than US currency.

Especially if it is probably more stable than US currency.
We are so far past and beyond the “long train of abuses and usurpations” that the Colonists and Founders experienced and which necessitated the Revolutionary War that they aren’t even visible in the rear-view mirror.
~ Ann Barnhardt

Offline LadyVirginia

• Conservative Superhero
  • Mt. Vernon painting by Francis Jukes
« Reply #23 on: April 08, 2011, 10:04:50 PM »

No one around here is interested in trading.

they'd rather run up their credit cards.
"And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor."

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I iz also makin a list. U on it pal.
« Reply #24 on: April 08, 2011, 10:13:11 PM »
Gunsmith recently traded an old grinder for a mess of empty brass.
"Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer." - Mark Twain

"Let us assume for the moment everything you say about me is true. That just makes your problem bigger, doesn't it?"

Offline LadyVirginia

• Conservative Superhero
  • Mt. Vernon painting by Francis Jukes
« Reply #25 on: April 08, 2011, 10:23:18 PM »
traded an old grinder for a mess of empty brass.

Nobody around here would know what that even means.
"And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor."

charlesoakwood

« Reply #26 on: April 08, 2011, 10:24:34 PM »
There is probably not a book that teaches one to do this?  

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #27 on: April 08, 2011, 10:27:09 PM »

"Here", everybody knows.  By you, not so much then.  I getcha, though.

Somebody I know *ahem* keeps trying to talk us into waising wabbits.  Bet I can trade for fresh eggs.
"Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer." - Mark Twain

"Let us assume for the moment everything you say about me is true. That just makes your problem bigger, doesn't it?"

Offline John Florida

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #28 on: April 08, 2011, 10:29:08 PM »

Somebody I know *ahem* keeps trying to talk us into waising wabbits.  Bet I can trade for fresh eggs.

It wouls have to be a lot of eggs for one wabbit.
 Filippo Mazzie

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #29 on: April 08, 2011, 10:31:11 PM »

It wouls have to be a lot of eggs for one wabbit.

That'd be the plan.  Some these week, some next week, like that.  Barter on the installment plan.  Heheh.

Offline Sectionhand

• Conservative Hero
« Reply #30 on: April 09, 2011, 03:09:42 PM »

Maybe I would ... What's her name ?

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #31 on: April 09, 2011, 03:25:57 PM »
 ::rimshot::

Offline John Florida

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #32 on: April 09, 2011, 04:12:07 PM »

Not even close I was married by then. I had a Christian church close to my shop and used to work on the ministers car. He approached me on day with a problem. He had a churchmember that was a widow with 4 kids and didn't have sh*t for anything, The church was helping her all they could and she needed brakes on her car real bad. To the point where the car wasn't drivable and with young kids it was not a good thing.

So he asked what I could do for her for a price(this is after I got the long sad story)So I told him I would have the car towed in and take a look at it and then I would call him.

So I mobilized a couple of friends on had tow trucks and he didn't charge me a dime and the other was my brake part supplier who ended up donating all the parts(he's Jewish)

So we ended up doing front brakes including hoses and calipers and pads and rotors.And the rears ended up with new drums brake cylinders and shoes and hardware kits and we put on a new master cylinder.

I called the Minister and told him to come get the car at which point he asked how much. I told him to come get it and that I had not printed up the bill yet and I didn't know what the total was.But I would have it ready when he came in.

Well he showed up with the woman and I went through all the part list and the and explained what we had to do and why. Then I spun the bill around the  total for everything read like this. The payment expected was to be pain in 4 equal payments in prayer for the souls of all the people involved in putting the car back together. So for the next four Sundays the church had to pray for all of us at each service.

The woman said that she would pray for us for the rest of her life and I told her that that would be over charging.I got big hugs and they both left in tears(me too).

My payment was the feeling this left me and my guys with.Nobody made money but what we got was worth more than all the gold on earth.
 Filippo Mazzie

Online IronDioPriest

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I refuse to accept my civil servants as my rulers
« Reply #33 on: April 09, 2011, 04:24:26 PM »
That's the kind of kindness that sticks with people for the rest of their lives.
"A strict observance of the written laws is doubtless one of the high duties of a good citizen, but it is not the highest. The laws of necessity, of self-preservation, of saving our country when in danger, are of higher obligation. To lose our country by a scrupulous adherence to written law, would be to lose the law itself, with life, liberty, property and all those who are enjoying them with us; thus absurdly sacrificing the end to the means."

- Thomas Jefferson

Offline Sectionhand

• Conservative Hero
« Reply #34 on: April 10, 2011, 04:46:51 AM »

Not even close I was married by then. I had a Christian church close to my shop and used to work on the ministers car. He approached me on day with a problem. He had a churchmember that was a widow with 4 kids and didn't have sh*t for anything, The church was helping her all they could and she needed brakes on her car real bad. To the point where the car wasn't drivable and with young kids it was not a good thing.

So he asked what I could do for her for a price(this is after I got the long sad story)So I told him I would have the car towed in and take a look at it and then I would call him.

So I mobilized a couple of friends on had tow trucks and he didn't charge me a dime and the other was my brake part supplier who ended up donating all the parts(he's Jewish)

So we ended up doing front brakes including hoses and calipers and pads and rotors.And the rears ended up with new drums brake cylinders and shoes and hardware kits and we put on a new master cylinder.

I called the Minister and told him to come get the car at which point he asked how much. I told him to come get it and that I had not printed up the bill yet and I didn't know what the total was.But I would have it ready when he came in.

Well he showed up with the woman and I went through all the part list and the and explained what we had to do and why. Then I spun the bill around the  total for everything read like this. The payment expected was to be pain in 4 equal payments in prayer for the souls of all the people involved in putting the car back together. So for the next four Sundays the church had to pray for all of us at each service.

The woman said that she would pray for us for the rest of her life and I told her that that would be over charging.I got big hugs and they both left in tears(me too).

My payment was the feeling this left me and my guys with.Nobody made money but what we got was worth more than all the gold on earth.

Like I said ... What's her name ?

Offline Alphabet Soup

• Conservative Superhero
  • Hier standt ich. Ich kann nicht anders
« Reply #35 on: April 10, 2011, 09:29:00 AM »
You're a good man JF... ::bows::

Offline rickl

• Established Member
« Reply #36 on: April 10, 2011, 09:49:07 AM »
That's a great story, John.

It's also an excellent illustration of why the free market works.  Business owners who make a profit have a cushion that they can use to do work for free when necessary.  It's completely voluntary and no coercion or confiscation is needed.
We are so far past and beyond the “long train of abuses and usurpations” that the Colonists and Founders experienced and which necessitated the Revolutionary War that they aren’t even visible in the rear-view mirror.
~ Ann Barnhardt

Offline John Florida

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #37 on: April 10, 2011, 10:15:25 AM »

It's also an excellent illustration of why the free market works.  Business owners who make a profit have a cushion that they can use to do work for free when necessary.  It's completely voluntary and no coercion or confiscation is needed.

And nobodies permission. And to be honest it paid back in spades with the rest of the church members.(added bonus)
 Filippo Mazzie

Offline rickl

• Established Member
« Reply #38 on: April 10, 2011, 10:29:39 AM »

It's also an excellent illustration of why the free market works.  Business owners who make a profit have a cushion that they can use to do work for free when necessary.  It's completely voluntary and no coercion or confiscation is needed.

And nobodies permission. And to be honest it paid back in spades with the rest of the church members.(added bonus)

That too!  You couldn't buy that kind of advertising for any amount of money.  Win-win all around.
~ Ann Barnhardt

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
  • Alea iacta est! Libertatem aut mori!
« Reply #39 on: April 11, 2011, 07:00:50 AM »
Ahh, I knew you were a big softy JF!   ;)

Good job big guy!   ::thumbsup::
We are now where The Founders were when they faced despotism.