Author Topic: Illegal: barter currency  (Read 8677 times)

Offline LadyVirginia

• Conservative Superhero
  • Mt. Vernon painting by Francis Jukes
Re: Illegal: barter currency
« Reply #40 on: April 11, 2011, 11:11:06 AM »
traded an old grinder for a mess of empty brass.

Nobody around here would know what that even means.

"Here", everybody knows.  By you, not so much then.  I getcha, though.

Sorry, yes, I meant where I live.

I mean I even get that patronizing little smile when I say I cook from scratch and sew. My kids know that if someone asks where they got something (as kids often ask) they smile and say my mom got it for me. lol

"And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor."

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I iz also makin a list. U on it pal.
« Reply #41 on: April 11, 2011, 12:19:10 PM »

I mean I even get that patronizing little smile when I say I cook from scratch and sew. My kids know that if someone asks where they got something (as kids often ask) they smile and say my mom got it for me. lol

No, ma'am; that was on me; I was ribbing you a bit, that's all.  ;D

Cook from scratch.  Heheh, been a long time since I've heard "from scratch".  My neighbor buys whole potatoes already wrapped in ... something .... cellophane, I think .... for baking.  Because it's so much more trouble to wash the potato yerself, pierce it and then nuke/bake it.  I shake my head, I swear.
"Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer." - Mark Twain

"Let us assume for the moment everything you say about me is true. That just makes your problem bigger, doesn't it?"

Offline John Florida

• Conservative Superhero
  • IT'S MY FONT AND I'LL USE IT IF I WANT TO!!
« Reply #42 on: April 11, 2011, 01:04:08 PM »

No, ma'am; that was on me; I was ribbing you a bit, that's all.  ;D

Cook from scratch.  Heheh, been a long time since I've heard "from scratch".  My neighbor buys whole potatoes already wrapped in ... something .... cellophane, I think .... for baking.  Because it's so much more trouble to wash the potato yerself, pierce it and then nuke/bake it.  I shake my head, I swear.

You may need a fence it the Crap hits the fan.Lazy asses.
All men are created equal"
 Filippo Mazzie

Offline LadyVirginia

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #43 on: April 11, 2011, 02:14:30 PM »

Cook from scratch.  Heheh, been a long time since I've heard "from scratch". 

hahaha

I try to remember not to use that word around my friends, in fact. I do get weird looks on that one.

Since I was a kid the whole idea of being able to do things on my own has been the way I operated. Not sure where I get it.  My mom grew up on a farm and hated it as did my grandmother. My mother won't even buy the orange juice in the can and mix it--says it's too much trouble. Buys the cartons.   I juice my own! She needs a new dress she spends days at the mall.  I go to my patterns and pick out something and make it. My father grew up in a middle class small town family and was a teacher.  His dad was an inventor...hmmm.
"And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor."

Offline Sectionhand

• Conservative Hero
« Reply #44 on: April 11, 2011, 02:30:09 PM »
She needs a new dress she spends days at the mall.  I go to my patterns and pick out something and make it. My father grew up in a middle class small town family and was a teacher.  His dad was an inventor...hmmm.

Was his name Singer ?  ;D

Offline LadyVirginia

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #45 on: April 11, 2011, 02:43:34 PM »
She needs a new dress she spends days at the mall.  I go to my patterns and pick out something and make it. My father grew up in a middle class small town family and was a teacher.  His dad was an inventor...hmmm.

Was his name Singer ?  ;D

hahaha

My grandfather held several  patents--designed machines for manufacturing.  A smart guy but from the hushed comments I think he had a troubled life and died young--in his early sixties, years before I was even born.

(You know when Singer first tried to sell his machines, housewives weren't interested.  They were afraid of it.  Not until manufacturers started using them did  household use become popular.)