Author Topic: Obama tells man questioning him about high gas prices: Buy a new car  (Read 58895 times)

Offline IronDioPriest

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I refuse to accept my civil servants as my rulers
See, high gas prices are not government's fault. It's our fault, because we don't drive the government approved vehicles. We use too much gas.

OBAMA: Get Used To High Gas Prices.

“Obama needled one questioner who asked about gas prices, now averaging close to $3.70 a gallon nationwide, and suggested that the gentleman consider getting rid of his gas-guzzling vehicle.”

High gas prices aren’t a bug, they’re a feature.

UPDATE: Rapid Reaction: I got an email from Haley Barbour’s office with this reaction: “Instead of changing his policies, President Obama is trying to blame the American people for skyrocketing gas prices by saying they should trade-in their cars.”

<snip>

[AP scrubbed the quote from its articles on the exchange between Obama and the man asking him the question. Fortunately, Glenn Reynolds saved a screen shot at the link.]

[Transcript mine; IDP]
[blockquote]Obama: "I know some o' these big guys, there still drivin' their big SUVs. You know, they got their big monster trucks and everything. You're one of 'em? [points to man in audience]. Well now, here's my point. You know, if you're complaining about the price of gas, and you're only gettin' 8 miles a gallon [laughs at man, pauses for audience to laugh at man, mocks the man with facial expression]... You know [laughs] you might have a big family, but it's probably not THAT big [laughs, audience laughs]... So - how many you have, 10 kids you say? 10 kids? [mocking facial expression again, encouraging people to laugh at the man] Well... you definitely need a hybrid van then... Like I said, if you're gettin' 8 miles a gallon you might wanna think about a trade-in."[/blockquote]

God help me, I want this assshole gone, now.

Obama Gas Prices

« Last Edit: April 07, 2011, 12:11:14 PM by IronDioPriest »
"A strict observance of the written laws is doubtless one of the high duties of a good citizen, but it is not the highest. The laws of necessity, of self-preservation, of saving our country when in danger, are of higher obligation. To lose our country by a scrupulous adherence to written law, would be to lose the law itself, with life, liberty, property and all those who are enjoying them with us; thus absurdly sacrificing the end to the means."

- Thomas Jefferson

Offline Predator Don

• Conservative Superhero
Re: Obama tells man questioning him about high gas prices: Buy a new car
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2011, 12:15:34 PM »
See, high gas prices are not government's fault. It's our fault, because we don't drive the government approved vehicles. We use too much gas.

OBAMA: Get Used To High Gas Prices.

“Obama needled one questioner who asked about gas prices, now averaging close to $3.70 a gallon nationwide, and suggested that the gentleman consider getting rid of his gas-guzzling vehicle.”

High gas prices aren’t a bug, they’re a feature.

UPDATE: Rapid Reaction: I got an email from Haley Barbour’s office with this reaction: “Instead of changing his policies, President Obama is trying to blame the American people for skyrocketing gas prices by saying they should trade-in their cars.”

<snip>

[AP scrubbed the quote from its articles on the exchange between Obama and the man asking him the question. Fortunately, Glenn Reynolds saved a screen shot at the link.]

[Transcript mine; IDP]
[blockquote]Obama: "I know some o' these big guys, there still drivin' their big SUVs. You know, they got their big monster trucks and everything. You're one of 'em? [points to man in audience]. Well now, here's my point. You know, if you're complaining about the price of gas, and you're only gettin' 8 miles a gallon [laughs at man, pauses for audience to laugh at man, mocks the man with facial expression]... You know [laughs] you might have a big family, but it's probably not THAT big [laughs, audience laughs]... So - how many you have, 10 kids you say? 10 kids? [mocking facial expression again, encouraging people to laugh at the man] Well... you definitely need a hybrid van then... Like I said, if you're gettin' 8 miles a gallon you might wanna think about a trade-in."[/blockquote]

God help me, I want this assshole gone, now.

Obama Gas Prices

I'm gonna vote we trade in our President.
I'm not always engulfed in scandals, but when I am, I make sure I blame others.

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
  • Alea iacta est! Libertatem aut mori!
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2011, 12:32:27 PM »
"Uhh...yeah...I remember pumping gas!"

Yeah, sure Barry.  If "gas" is a term of endearment for some guy you played out your bi-curious fantasies with, I'll buy that!  But you have no freaking clue what it is to be an every day working productive member of society so don't insult us by pretending otherwise!

What utter trash!

Familiar with contractors?  No, didn't think so prick!

Familiar with farmers and other people who enjoy children and big families?  No, didn't think so prick!

Familiar with earning your keep and paying for what you own and not being a parasite on others?  No, didn't think so prick!

Familiar with oil & gas exploration, the need for domestic drilling to reduce our need to buy foreign oil controlled by batsh*t-crazy jislamists bastards and so our people can afford the gas they need?  No, didn't think so prick!

Familiar with the poor safety of smaller cars and the lack of economic sense and environmental damage your eco-specs cause?  No, didn't think so prick!

Familiar with telling the truth and not being a disingenuous bastard and exploit political issues by dodging them and running out of town to pimp cash for reelection instead?  No, didn't think so prick!

This POS can't get kicked out of town fast enough!!!
We are now where The Founders were when they faced despotism.

Offline Sectionhand

• Conservative Hero
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2011, 12:54:58 PM »
"Cash for Clunkers" is coming again November 2012 and we'll scrap that bastard !

Offline John Florida

• Conservative Superhero
  • IT'S MY FONT AND I'LL USE IT IF I WANT TO!!
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2011, 01:15:18 PM »
He once again prove what an empty suit he really is. Even if the guy traded his truck in does he think the truck just vanishes into thin air? The truck is going to be resold and it's still on the road.The natural gas cars can be done right now the conversion isn't a big deal but where the hell are you going to fill it up?

There is no distribution available that can service to people that did do it. But since for some reason nobody that know anything can get a question in he skates and we sit here and fume over it.I would love to sit across a table from him and have that conversation.
All men are created equal"
 Filippo Mazzie

Offline Predator Don

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2011, 05:42:25 PM »
I can't imagine anyone else getting away with such idiocy.

Someone should have run his telepromptor out.

Offline rickl

• Established Member
« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2011, 05:58:20 PM »
His contempt for the American people is palpable.  He doesn't even try to hide it.

I can't think of any other President with such an attitude.  If there have been any, they had the decency to keep it to themselves for the most part.  Maybe Wilson, who seems to have had a very high opinion of his own intellect. 

As bad as his policies were, FDR was justifiably popular.  Despite the fact that he was a rich man from a rich family, he was able to connect on an emotional level with people who were suffering from the Depression.  He didn't flaunt his wealth in their faces like the Obamas do on a daily basis.
We are so far past and beyond the “long train of abuses and usurpations” that the Colonists and Founders experienced and which necessitated the Revolutionary War that they aren’t even visible in the rear-view mirror.
~ Ann Barnhardt

Offline Damn_Lucky

• A Regular
    • patriotsteaparty
« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2011, 06:03:35 PM »
I wish we could Buy a new President, Like the progressives did in '08 ::cussing::
A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves - Edward R. Murrow

Offline John Florida

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2011, 06:35:37 PM »
I wish we could Buy a new President, Like the progressives did in '08 ::cussing::

Get ready the SOB is going to have a Billion in the next one.He knows that if he doesn't get that much he's done for before it all starts.
 Filippo Mazzie

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I iz also makin a list. U on it pal.
« Reply #9 on: April 08, 2011, 01:23:48 AM »
I want this here, for the record which seems to have been ... somewhat purged .... and I'm not sure how long the YouTube will be allowed to exist either.

The media, hwoever, are covering up this stunning comment by Obama. Glenn Reynolds of Instapundit published a screen shot of the original AP story on the event, which included the "let them eat cake" comment.  

Soon, however, the editors at AP realized their man was not looking good here, and they cut the reference, with the result that few newspapers and other media picked up on it.  Ed Morrissey:

A search for "If you're complaining about the price of gas and you're only getting 8 miles a gallon" turned up 26 hits last night at 7:15 pm ET, most of them Associated Press links or links to their affiliates. In each of those, the quote was removed in later editing.

Despite his media brigade covering for him, Obama's high energy/low employment policies are hurting poor people and minorities the most, and black and Hispanic approval levels for him are falling.

Text link is American Thinker.

Glenn Reynolds scored the page capture.
"Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer." - Mark Twain

"Let us assume for the moment everything you say about me is true. That just makes your problem bigger, doesn't it?"

Offline BigAlSouth

• Established Member
  • Who won't 'co-exist?'
« Reply #10 on: April 08, 2011, 05:52:57 AM »
Back in the day, I had a 1989 Plymouth Voyager van Sport, with a 4 cyl. engine. At 189,000 miles, the engine was so worn out that I was lucky to get 14 mpg on the road.

Yeah, I got a new vehicle. Traded it in on a used Suburban. It got better mileage . . .
The problems we face today are there because the people who work for a living
are outnumbered by those who vote for a living.
--------------
The enemy of my enemy is my friend; the friend of my enemy is, well, he is just a dumbass.

Offline Glock32

• Conservative Superhero
  • Get some!
« Reply #11 on: April 08, 2011, 06:31:34 AM »
The salient point being that "in the land of the free" you shouldn't need a bureaucratic permission slip to live your own life the way you want. This retort covers all bases for 99% of progressive ideology.
"The Fourth Estate is less honorable than the First Profession."

- Yours Truly

Offline warpmine

• Conservative Hero
« Reply #12 on: April 08, 2011, 06:38:06 AM »
IF this idiot had been emperor of say the Byzantian Empire or even Rome, the palace guards would have already wasted him. ::laserkill:: Modern day Americans are weak, sniveling creatures that complain way to much about things our forebears would have already taken care of like wasting this asshole.

Again, I'm distraught at why his own personal guard, secret service hasn't done their duty to the United States and killed his dumb azz or at the very least cuffed him and frog marched him out. Could Biden really be any worse? ::cussing::

Prayer is a personal thing to many but sharing mine may be over the top but a sincerely pray everyday, that he slips down the the mobile case for AF One or the plane suddenly develops a major problem in mid-flight or he just slips on one of the banana peels left on the floor by the First Orangutan.

My poor children will be cleaning up the mess for years after I'm dead. ::puke::
Remember, four boxes keep us free:
The soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.

Offline Predator Don

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #13 on: April 09, 2011, 09:51:41 AM »
I believe the whole gas "crisis" best exemplifies the media bias . Remember when gas ran up last time? Of course you do, it lead every news story during the Bush Presidency. He was the "big oil" President..he was in bed with the saudis, he was lining the pockets of rich republicans, he took all his orders from big oil, Cheney was in bed with big oil, Bush protecting his texas buddies.....There was story after story...after story. Or should I say hit piece.

How much reporting is coming from the media today over gas prises? Oh, that's right, we have a liberal in office, so lets squelch all the high gas price banter.

If a conservative offered there was little short term assistance over the cost of gas...I can only imagine the headlines coming from a press that knows what liberals have for lunch and dinner every day.

Offline Thresherman

• Likes the place
« Reply #14 on: April 09, 2011, 12:45:07 PM »
Here is a guy who can't afford the gas for his vehicle and our Dear Leader's response is that he should shell out another 20, 30 grand for a new one.  While many cite this as proof of the lack of a common touch on behalf of Obama and the slavish idolization that the media regards him with, it also illustrates what an utter idiot he is when it comes to finances.  Since the savings in fuel mileage would only come to about $2,000/year, it would take 10 to 15 years to realize any financial gain on trading for better mileage and that is without interest figured in. 

It is becoming ever more undeniably obvious that our Dear Leader has gotten as far in life as he has, is due more to white liberal guilt and the color of his skin than whatever meager abilities he possesses.

Offline Alphabet Soup

• Conservative Superhero
  • Hier standt ich. Ich kann nicht anders
« Reply #15 on: April 09, 2011, 01:38:33 PM »
"Just desserts"

Sometimes I wonder what the world would look like if there truly was such a thing as just desserts. Quite certainly different people would inhabit the planet that are currently here among us. Would there be more? Fewer? Any?!

Would I still be here?

I'm no theologian and definitely among God's more imperfect children, so I temper my remarks by allowing myself to be subject to the same "rule" I might apply to another.

I hear you warpmine, and I empathize exactly with what you say. I fight the impulse to wish ill of (almost) everyone, and to wish someone's death is way out there on the outlier, but I find myself losing the battle against Øbozo. I'll readily admit to it being a human failing and sinful, but it is what it is.

I recall when carter was president. I remember the "misery index" although I was too young to grasp it's import at the time. I don't hear many express the same attribution to Øbozo, but they should. This man inflicts more misery per second than I have in my entire lifetime.

Now I know that some might think that hyperbolic and that's alright. I don't equate Øbozo with Mao, or Hitler. I do equate him - unfavorably - to jimmuh carter. I do believe him to be objectively the worse president this country has ever endured.

I do believe him to be actively damaging our nation. Not through negligence or incompetence, but by design. Little vignettes like this reinforce those beliefs. My old man used to say, "Why climb a tree to tell a lie when you can stand on the ground and tell the truth".

Øbozo prefers to climb trees.

I truly, sincerely despise him.

edit: altard proofed

Offline Scrollbar

• Newb
« Reply #16 on: April 12, 2011, 08:57:50 AM »
This whole thread is full of ridiculous misguided anger.

A dude driving a huge gas guzzling vehicle is whining to the president that it costs too much to fill up, and the president offers some HONEST advice? "OH NO HE HATES 'MURICAH!!"

We shouldn't confuse this as an attack on liberty so much as being realistic. My god, people nowadays are so freaking unable to make sacrafice. Can you imagine if this was ww2 and people were being asked to limit their fuel use and donate whatever they could to the war effort? People would be marching on the streets crying that they won't be able to play xbox and drive an escalade to drop their kid off to school.

Grow up America.

Offline John Florida

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #17 on: April 12, 2011, 10:03:30 AM »

A dude driving a huge gas guzzling vehicle is whining to the president that it costs too much to fill up, and the president offers some HONEST advice? "OH NO HE HATES 'MURICAH!!"

We shouldn't confuse this as an attack on liberty so much as being realistic. My god, people nowadays are so freaking unable to make sacrafice. Can you imagine if this was ww2 and people were being asked to limit their fuel use and donate whatever they could to the war effort? People would be marching on the streets crying that they won't be able to play xbox and drive an escalade to drop their kid off to school.

Grow up America.

What do you suggest he drive with a big family? Or does he dump some of the kids off?How much will it cost him to buy this imaginary car?And who in the hell is the President to suggest how this guy should live his life?
 Filippo Mazzie

Offline Alphabet Soup

• Conservative Superhero
  • Hier standt ich. Ich kann nicht anders
« Reply #18 on: April 12, 2011, 10:33:46 AM »
Greetings Scrollbar and welcome to It's About Liberty.

Words have meaning so let's be clear.

The man in the audience did not "whine'. To say so is a distortion bordering on outright lie.

The "man" with the microphone did not give an "HONEST" answer - he dodged the mans legitimate question and insulted him with both his words and his presentation.

"OH NO HE HATES 'MURICAH!!"

When I see the word America tormented like that it is usually coming from a libtard. You aren't a libtard, are you?

My god, people nowadays are so freaking unable to make sacrafice (sic).

Actually the only ones not making any "sacrafices" LOL is the entitlement class that is totally beholden to the federal government.

Apparently you are unable (or unwilling) to see the difference between a sacrafice (that one just cracks me up!) of paying more or driving less and the perverse and offensive suggestion that the man spend $30k to buy a new rig.

Enjoy your stay.

Offline Predator Don

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #19 on: April 12, 2011, 10:42:33 AM »

Grow up America.

Welcome....but there is no misguided anger in this thread. Now, our president did give a father, feeling the pressure of higher gas costs, a ridiculous answer...if you want to qualify asking someone to buy a new car a legitament answer to his question.

As far as sacrifice, this father wouldn't be asking the question if his family was not "sacrificing".....Instead, his president gave him attitude, contemptable at best. He gives his suffering family a smirk....

But welcome...We welcome all opinions, even the shallow ones.