Author Topic: How to Make Fries That Taste Like McDonald’s’  (Read 3175 times)

Offline Maddy

• Likes the place
How to Make Fries That Taste Like McDonald’s’
« on: September 24, 2013, 12:04:55 PM »
I love to cook and bake and think that I'm going to try this just to see if it works one of these weekends (as it appears to be a 2 day process.) I thought I'd share. Yum!

How to Make Fries That Taste Like McDonald’s’

Here’s how to replicate that irreplaceable taste at home

Offline LadyVirginia

• Conservative Superhero
  • Mt. Vernon painting by Francis Jukes
Re: How to Make Fries That Taste Like McDonald’s’
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2013, 03:48:20 PM »
I like Wendy's.
"And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor."

Offline ChrstnHsbndFthr

• Established Member
    • Affordable Bail Bonds of NC, LLC
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2013, 05:48:52 PM »
I like Wendy's.

Many years ago, when I was a youth in California, there was a proposition on the ballot to BAN the private OWNERSHIP of handguns. Guess who contributed money? IF you guessed Wendy's, you win the prize. They have not received a dime of my money since.
“My mission today is to go forth and tell people about why I follow Christ and also what the Bible teaches, and part of that teaching is that women and men are meant to be together.

“However, I would never treat anyone with disrespect just because they are different from me. We are all created by the Almighty and like Him, I love all of humanity. We would all be better off if we loved God and loved each other.”
Phil Robertson an elder in the church of Christ

Offline Maddy

• Likes the place
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2013, 06:22:14 PM »
Interesting, CHF. Loves me some trivia!

LadyVirginia - if I remember correctly, so do I. Anymore we basically have only 1 or so locations in our metro area, none near me. So, I can't say that I've had any since the late 90's when I lived out on the W. Coast.

Online IronDioPriest

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I refuse to accept my civil servants as my rulers
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2013, 09:21:17 PM »
I ran across this pseudo-McDonald's fry recipe a while back, and I've always been curious about trying it.

In the meantime, I've discovered that Ore-Ida "crispy fast-food" style fries are pretty darn close. After an entire childhood and a majority of adulthood with Tater-Tots being the only acceptable oven-baked "fry" style potatoes, these things are really quite eye-opening. At least as eye-opening as oven-baked french fries can be. I didn't expect them to be so good, since all other oven-baked french fries have always been so yukky.
"A strict observance of the written laws is doubtless one of the high duties of a good citizen, but it is not the highest. The laws of necessity, of self-preservation, of saving our country when in danger, are of higher obligation. To lose our country by a scrupulous adherence to written law, would be to lose the law itself, with life, liberty, property and all those who are enjoying them with us; thus absurdly sacrificing the end to the means."

- Thomas Jefferson

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
  • Alea iacta est! Libertatem aut mori!
« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2013, 09:46:32 PM »
I like Culvers.  Don't know their stance on 2A.   ::thinking::

As far as tater-tots...ever have tater-tot hotdish?   ::whoohoo::
We are now where The Founders were when they faced despotism.

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I iz also makin a list. U on it pal.
« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2013, 10:27:21 PM »
I ran across this pseudo-McDonald's fry recipe a while back, and I've always been curious about trying it.

In the meantime, I've discovered that Ore-Ida "crispy fast-food" style fries are pretty darn close. After an entire childhood and a majority of adulthood with Tater-Tots being the only acceptable oven-baked "fry" style potatoes, these things are really quite eye-opening. At least as eye-opening as oven-baked french fries can be. I didn't expect them to be so good, since all other oven-baked french fries have always been so yukky.

Tried a few versions of oven-baked fries and they're all pretty good.  Just have to know how long to cook 'em.  Crispy outside, tender inside rules.
"Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer." - Mark Twain

"Let us assume for the moment everything you say about me is true. That just makes your problem bigger, doesn't it?"

Offline LadyVirginia

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2013, 11:27:40 PM »

Chic fil-a waffle fries are good. Guess I'll be eating those and not Wendy's. LOL!  There's one opening closer to us than the Wendy's we drive to so when we need fries chic fil-a it is. 
"And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor."

Offline ChrstnHsbndFthr

• Established Member
    • Affordable Bail Bonds of NC, LLC
« Reply #8 on: September 25, 2013, 09:25:42 AM »

Tried a few versions of oven-baked fries and they're all pretty good.  Just have to know how long to cook 'em.  Crispy outside, tender inside rules.

The ones I have tried, well, obviously I do not know the trick, but I was QUITE impressed with the ones you did. I love crispy fries!
“My mission today is to go forth and tell people about why I follow Christ and also what the Bible teaches, and part of that teaching is that women and men are meant to be together.

“However, I would never treat anyone with disrespect just because they are different from me. We are all created by the Almighty and like Him, I love all of humanity. We would all be better off if we loved God and loved each other.”
Phil Robertson an elder in the church of Christ

Offline AlanS

• Conservative Superhero
  • Proud Infidel
« Reply #9 on: September 25, 2013, 09:35:00 AM »

Chili-cheese tater tots.....MMMMMMMMMMM

My cholesterol hasn't reached quadruple digits yet.
"Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem."

Thomas Jefferson

Offline Maddy

• Likes the place
« Reply #10 on: September 25, 2013, 08:39:34 PM »
Holy crap! Looking at these posts it's clear that I've found the right crowd!

"Death by tater-tots" = my attempt to rip off "Death by stereo" Lost Boys  ;)

Offline LadyVirginia

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #11 on: September 26, 2013, 12:38:17 AM »
I haven't felt well today.

It was tater tots for lunch and French fries for dinner.

;D

Offline trapeze

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • Hippies smell bad. Go away, hippie.
« Reply #12 on: September 26, 2013, 01:10:08 AM »
I'm going to get myself a deep fat fryer for Christmas (because when you get to my age you can get away with that sort of thing) and the one that I'm looking at is this one.

After that, no more oven baked fries. And yeah, I'll be trying that recipe for the McDonalds fries. I kind of like waffle fries, though.

I'll be looking forward to chimichangas, too.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2013, 01:15:36 AM by trapeze »
In a doomsday scenario, hippies will be among the first casualties. So not everything about doomsday will be bad.

Online IronDioPriest

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I refuse to accept my civil servants as my rulers
« Reply #13 on: September 26, 2013, 04:59:26 AM »

Chili-cheese tater tots.....MMMMMMMMMMM

My cholesterol hasn't reached quadruple digits yet.

That's what the Statin drugs are for.
"A strict observance of the written laws is doubtless one of the high duties of a good citizen, but it is not the highest. The laws of necessity, of self-preservation, of saving our country when in danger, are of higher obligation. To lose our country by a scrupulous adherence to written law, would be to lose the law itself, with life, liberty, property and all those who are enjoying them with us; thus absurdly sacrificing the end to the means."

- Thomas Jefferson

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #14 on: September 26, 2013, 07:07:01 AM »

Chic fil-a waffle fries are good. Guess I'll be eating those and not Wendy's. LOL!  There's one opening closer to us than the Wendy's we drive to so when we need fries chic fil-a it is.

They are opening a Chic up near my neck of the woods, I'll finally get to be able to sample them!   ::thumbsup::

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #15 on: September 26, 2013, 07:09:16 AM »

;D

Comfort food.   ;D

Offline LadyVirginia

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #16 on: September 26, 2013, 10:59:23 AM »

;D

Comfort food.   ;D

Yep.

And, Trap, I look forward to the review on that fryer.  I'm not even a fried food kind of person (ok, outside of fries) and I think that thing looks like fun. I think it would be popular in this house since others here like donuts and fried fish etc. I like making food at home because it's always better but frying is hard to replicate effectively and it's too messy on the stove top.

And, Libertas, if you like fresh lemonade Chic fil-a has one that's pretty good.

Offline AlanS

• Conservative Superhero
  • Proud Infidel
« Reply #17 on: September 26, 2013, 11:36:35 AM »
Just a reminder folks. When you deep fry anything, it's hard to beat pure lard.

Damn, I'm a poet.
"Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem."

Thomas Jefferson

Offline Glock32

• Conservative Superhero
  • Get some!
« Reply #18 on: September 27, 2013, 01:25:46 AM »

They are opening a Chic up near my neck of the woods, I'll finally get to be able to sample them!   ::thumbsup::

I love just about everything at the Chick. Their nuggets are really good, and unlike some places these are quite obviously real chicken. Their barbecue dipping sauce is what really makes them.
"The Fourth Estate is less honorable than the First Profession."

- Yours Truly