Author Topic: Baby forcibly taken from mother's womb  (Read 1547 times)

Offline AlanS

• Conservative Superhero
  • Proud Infidel
Baby forcibly taken from mother's womb
« on: December 02, 2013, 02:58:40 PM »
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/law-and-order/10486452/Child-taken-from-womb-by-social-services.html

A pregnant woman has had her baby forcibly removed by caesarean section by social workers.

Essex social services obtained a High Court order against the woman that allowed her to be forcibly sedated and her child to be taken from her womb.

• Torment of woman who had baby taken from womb
• Child taken from womb by social services: 'It's not always wrong'

The council said it was acting in the best interests of the woman, an Italian who was in Britain on a work trip, because she had suffered a mental breakdown.

The baby girl, now 15 months old, is still in the care of social services, who are refusing to give her back to the mother, even though she claims to have made a full recovery.
Related Articles

Child taken from womb: it's not always wrong
    02 Dec 2013

'Operate on this mother so that we can take her baby’
    30 Nov 2013

Child taken from womb by social services
    30 Nov 2013

The case has developed into an international legal row, with lawyers for the woman describing it as “unprecedented”.

They claim that even if the council had been acting in the woman’s best interests, officials should have consulted her family beforehand and also involved Italian social services, who would be better-placed to look after the child.

Brendan Fleming, the woman’s British lawyer, told The Sunday Telegraph: “I have never heard of anything like this in all my 40 years in the job.

“I can understand if someone is very ill that they may not be able to consent to a medical procedure, but a forced caesarean is unprecedented.

“If there were concerns about the care of this child by an Italian mother, then the better plan would have been for the authorities here to have notified social services in Italy and for the child to have been taken back there.”

The case, reported by Christopher Booker in his column in The Sunday Telegraph, raises fresh questions about the extent of social workers’ powers.

It will be raised in Parliament this week by John Hemming, a Liberal Democrat MP. He chairs the Public Family Law Reform Coordinating Campaign, which wants reform and greater openness in court proceedings involving family matters.

He said: “I have seen a number of cases of abuses of people’s rights in the family courts, but this has to be one of the more extreme.

“It involves the Court of Protection authorising a caesarean section without the person concerned being made aware of what was proposed. I worry about the way these decisions about a person’s mental capacity are being taken without any apparent concern as to the effect on the individual being affected.”

The woman, who cannot be named for legal reasons, is an Italian national who come to Britain in July last year to attend a training course with an airline at Stansted Airport in Essex.

She suffered a panic attack, which her relations believe was due to her failure to take regular medication for an existing bipolar condition.

She called the police, who became concerned for her well-being and took her to a hospital, which she then realised was a psychiatric facility.

She has told her lawyers that when she said she wanted to return to her hotel, she was restrained and sectioned under the Mental Health Act.
[Coming soon to a country near you. AS]
Meanwhile, Essex social services obtained a High Court order in August 2012 for the birth “to be enforced by way of caesarean section”, according to legal documents seen by this newspaper.

The woman, who says she was kept in the dark about the proceedings, says that after five weeks in the ward she was forcibly sedated. When she woke up she was told that the child had been delivered by C-section and taken into care.

In February, the mother, who had gone back to Italy, returned to Britain to request the return of her daughter at a hearing at Chelmsford Crown Court.

Her lawyers say that she had since resumed taking her medication, and that the judge formed a favourable opinion of her. But he ruled that the child should be placed for adoption because of the risk that she might suffer a relapse.

The cause has also been raised before a judge in the High Court in Rome, which has questioned why British care proceedings had been applied to the child of an Italian citizen “habitually resident” in Italy. The Italian judge accepted, though, that the British courts had jurisdiction over the woman, who was deemed to have had no “capacity” to instruct lawyers.

Lawyers for the woman are demanding to know why Essex social services appear not have contacted next of kin in Italy to consult them on the case.

They are also upset that social workers insisted on placing the child in care in Britain, when there had been an offer from a family friend in America to look after her.

An expert on social care proceedings, who asked not to be named because she was not fully acquainted with the details of the case, described it as “highly unusual”.

She said the council would first have to find “that she was basically unfit to make any decision herself” and then shown there was an acute risk to the mother if a natural birth was attempted.

An Essex county council spokesman said the local authority would not comment on ongoing cases involving vulnerable people and children.
"Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem."

Thomas Jefferson

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I iz also makin a list. U on it pal.
Re: Baby forcibly taken from mother's womb
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2013, 03:16:42 PM »
Outrageous, innit.  Bureaucratic totalitarians confiscating babies from the womb of a citizen of another country now.

This shiite doesn't stop until it's *made* to stop.
"Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer." - Mark Twain

"Let us assume for the moment everything you say about me is true. That just makes your problem bigger, doesn't it?"

Online Pablo de Fleurs

• Conservative Hero
  • @PesoNeto3
    • Apologetics Workshop
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2013, 03:21:48 PM »
Guess they'll be retiring the "My Body/My Choice" mantra in 3...2...1..........
2 Timothy 1:7
For God did not give us a spirit of timidity, but of power & of love and of calm, a well-balanced mind, discipline and self-control.

Offline Glock32

• Conservative Superhero
  • Get some!
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2013, 03:47:05 PM »
Yeah I'm sure the only thing about this whole story that would bother the Left is that they actually delivered a live baby. It must really stick in their craw that it wasn't just summarily aborted and flushed down a drain.
"The Fourth Estate is less honorable than the First Profession."

- Yours Truly

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I iz also makin a list. U on it pal.
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2013, 03:50:33 PM »

Breath.  Not holding it.

This is why they're insane; they somehow hold two opposing and contradictory positions in their heads, think nothing of it, and have no idea it's making them into lunatics.
"Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer." - Mark Twain

"Let us assume for the moment everything you say about me is true. That just makes your problem bigger, doesn't it?"

Online Pablo de Fleurs

• Conservative Hero
  • @PesoNeto3
    • Apologetics Workshop
« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2013, 04:15:40 PM »

Breath.  Not holding it.

This is why they're insane; they somehow hold two opposing and contradictory positions in their heads, think nothing of it, and have no idea it's making them into lunatics.

Exactly. By taking the child away, they are stating that life is sacred…that human beings have intrinsic value; otherwise, why rescue it? But when a woman wants to abort, where does that value reside?? In their thinking*? Their point of view expressed today, versus yesterday? Moral relativism: on Wednesdays, children have intrinsic worth…but not on Fridays.

And who, exactly makes the determination? Whomever is in power…& that’s why they’re desperate to maintain it…and the cycle of nihilistic humanism continues.

The value either exists, outside of man’s determination, or it doesn’t (and becomes subjective). If there is no God, then nothing is wrong.

• God exists only if objective moral values exist;
• Objective moral values exist;
• Therefore, God exists.

(* - which may be why Dear Leader is touted as brilliant....he is able to discern these things)
« Last Edit: December 02, 2013, 04:32:37 PM by Pablo de Fleurs »
2 Timothy 1:7
For God did not give us a spirit of timidity, but of power & of love and of calm, a well-balanced mind, discipline and self-control.

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
  • Alea iacta est! Libertatem aut mori!
« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2013, 07:33:04 AM »
The bizzare is commonplace...surely the end is near.
We are now where The Founders were when they faced despotism.

Offline Glock32

• Conservative Superhero
  • Get some!
« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2013, 10:17:33 AM »
When I look at the UNsanity all around us, I can't help but conclude it's a judgment. Wickedness is a permanent part of humanity, but healthy societies organize themselves to minimize and mitigate it. Ours positively celebrates it and is constantly seeking new, more extreme ways to indulge in it.

There's a struggle going on that is as old as existence itself, animated by the same eternal players.
"The Fourth Estate is less honorable than the First Profession."

- Yours Truly