Author Topic: Sewing  (Read 2052 times)

Offline LadyVirginia

• Conservative Superhero
  • Mt. Vernon painting by Francis Jukes
Sewing
« on: October 01, 2013, 05:28:51 PM »
I sew.

I've had the same machine for over 25 years (Kenmore).  I taught myself out of necessity when babies started coming along and I didn't have the money to dress them nice. Sewing is now another hobby that has gotten expensive (I saw an article a few years ago that said no one sews to save money any more!  lol) I have sewn my children competition outfits for their sports which has saved us hundreds of dollars.

I wish I had time to sew more often.
"And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor."

Offline Tania513

• Likes the place
Re: Sewing
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2013, 05:55:44 PM »
I sew as well. I have a Husqvana Viking. I make a whole bunch of things, clothes, costumes, table mats, curtains. I have wanted to try a quilt.

Offline LadyVirginia

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2013, 06:48:22 PM »
I've made a few small quilts--nothing exciting or fancy or time-intensive.

I've made blankets for Project Linus

I have lots of fabric & patterns and since my dear husband is out of work I've already started planning the gifts I will make for the kids.
"And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor."

Offline whimsicalmamapig

« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2013, 07:30:08 PM »
I was the manager of the fabric department in a Ben Franklin Franchise store and I watched 2 separate events transpire from 1993-1996 while I was there.

1. With the arrival of a Walmart all other local craft and fabric stores closed within a year and even our franchise could not compete so we opted to go "Quilting" and brought in very expensive products that walmart could not contract to offer. we picked up lots of affluent customers and did well.

2.Unfortunately, because of our strict EPA rules, many of the brilliant colored fabrics needed to be made overseas because of the chemicals required. This allowed another industry to find a manufacturing base off-shore but to raise the price of its product as high as the customers would bear, leaving the home-sewer with rising prices. It transformed the culture of home sewing into an upper-class "hobby" of "artistic expression".

I have sewn all my life and early on, while my husband was getting his teaching degree, I worked for years in a "sewing factory" making sports accessories. I read an article just within the past few days that said clothing manufacturing was returning to America because of a need for quality workmanship but that it was finding it difficult to find competent workers. If I were just a little younger I might consider taking one of the jobs because it allows you to be busy all day while you can have your radio/IPad going listening to books or programs, and getting paid for it!!!
Democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not.
Thomas Jefferson

Offline Tania513

• Likes the place
« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2013, 08:16:00 PM »
I LOVE Ben  Franklin. We have a great one here in Raymond, NH. Great selection, and the prices are great. I work at Walmart, and cover the gal who normally cuts, when she is not there. It doesn't have the best selection, but has the basics.I much prefer Joanne's Fabrics, especially when it comes to thread. And then there is Mardens, they have a great selection as well.

Offline LadyVirginia

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2013, 10:33:57 PM »
I didn't know Ben franklins were still around.

I have bought a lot of fabric online from moms running at home businesses--usually the variety is better and the prices comparable to big box stores and often lower.  Some also get European fabric that is pricey but fun to have a little of.