Author Topic: Triple Crown in 2015?  (Read 2713 times)

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
  • Alea iacta est! Libertatem aut mori!
Triple Crown in 2015?
« on: May 18, 2015, 06:38:06 AM »
http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/horseracing/2015/05/16/american-pharoah-preakness-pimlico-triple-crown-belmont/27459501/

Odds are against it, the long Belmont track has ground 13 contenders into the dirt since 1978.
We are now where The Founders were when they faced despotism.

Offline AmericanPatriot

• Conservative Hero
Re: Triple Crown in 2015?
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2015, 08:01:00 AM »
Darn, I forgot about the Preakness.

We now have some drama.
Without a potential Triple Crown winner, the Belmont is just another horse race

Offline AmericanPatriot

• Conservative Hero
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2015, 06:11:22 PM »
American Pharoah pole to pole!

Online Pablo de Fleurs

• Conservative Hero
  • @PesoNeto3
    • Apologetics Workshop
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2015, 09:26:07 AM »
@iowahawkblog
Breaking: American Pharoah refuses stud farm assignment; says "I now identify as Nefertiti"

;- D
2 Timothy 1:7
For God did not give us a spirit of timidity, but of power & of love and of calm, a well-balanced mind, discipline and self-control.

Offline AmericanPatriot

• Conservative Hero
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2015, 11:05:13 AM »
American Pharoah wants to emulate Bruce Jenner and be a filly

Online IronDioPriest

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I refuse to accept my civil servants as my rulers
« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2015, 12:31:34 PM »
I read yesterday somewhere that if you compared American Pharaoh's Belmont time to Secretariat's, Secretariat wins by 15 lengths.
"A strict observance of the written laws is doubtless one of the high duties of a good citizen, but it is not the highest. The laws of necessity, of self-preservation, of saving our country when in danger, are of higher obligation. To lose our country by a scrupulous adherence to written law, would be to lose the law itself, with life, liberty, property and all those who are enjoying them with us; thus absurdly sacrificing the end to the means."

- Thomas Jefferson

Offline AmericanPatriot

• Conservative Hero
« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2015, 12:50:40 PM »
Secretariat beat everyone by 15 lengths when she ran the Belmont

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I iz also makin a list. U on it pal.
« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2015, 01:12:59 PM »
I read yesterday somewhere that if you compared American Pharaoh's Belmont time to Secretariat's, Secretariat wins by 15 lengths.

Are you aware that you've misspelled the name?  His name is Pharoah because the winner of the name-the-horse contest (run by the owner) spelled it incorrectly and by the time it was realized, the deal was done.

Before the race, there was a link on Drudge's page to an article citing genealogical/physical reasons why Pharoah wouldn't win.  I looked for it after and, of course, it was gone.  I laugh -- experts.
"Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer." - Mark Twain

"Let us assume for the moment everything you say about me is true. That just makes your problem bigger, doesn't it?"

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #8 on: June 08, 2015, 06:44:55 AM »
American Pharoah wins the Triple Crown for the first time in forever, and yeah everybody got stomped by Secretariat, Big Red was a true freak of nature...and not surprisingly given his prodigious breeding just about every thoroughbred alive can trace him as an ancestor now, as can American Pharoah who if my math is correct is the Great, Great, Great Grandson of Secretariat on his momma's side.

What is more surprising is how unimpressive the others in the lineage are, outside of Unbridled & Storm Cat I recognize none of the names, but somehow the genes came together at the right time for this horse.

Offline Septugenarian

• A Regular
« Reply #9 on: June 08, 2015, 07:51:19 AM »
News Flash !!!  Obama is the 1st president since Jimmah to have a Triple Crown !!!   Great accomplishment !!!
I'm entitled (to be cranky).

Offline AmericanPatriot

• Conservative Hero
« Reply #10 on: June 11, 2015, 08:02:13 AM »
Here is a side-by-side video of the two horses' races with times at certain points.

http://videos.komando.com/watch/8092/kims-picks-american-pharoah-vs-secretariat

Secretariat was, roughly, 3 seconds faster.

Don't know how many lengths that would be but when Big Red kicked in the afterburners, it was like the other horses were standing still

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #11 on: June 11, 2015, 08:26:19 AM »
Here is a side-by-side video of the two horses' races with times at certain points.

http://videos.komando.com/watch/8092/kims-picks-american-pharoah-vs-secretariat

Secretariat was, roughly, 3 seconds faster.

Don't know how many lengths that would be but when Big Red kicked in the afterburners, it was like the other horses were standing still

Pretty cool.  The 1/4 mile mark was fairly close...but Secretariat was a beast...after the 1/4 mile mark the lead grew between the two, and that poor horse in 1973 that was trying to stay close just had zip left in the tank going into the final turn and Big Red just cruised.  You can tell Secretariat had more left, hardly any hard head movement but on American Pharoah his head was working hard.  And rough math says probably two strides per second so that comes out to 6 and I think I heard someone say Big Red would have won by 5 1/2 lengths so that seems right.

Good win by American Pharaoh but Secretariat is still the greatest racehorse to have ever lived.

Offline AmericanPatriot

• Conservative Hero
« Reply #12 on: June 11, 2015, 10:54:59 AM »
I love the movie, too.
:)