Author Topic: What did things cost in 1967?  (Read 13479 times)

Offline oldcoastie6468

• Conservative Hero
What did things cost in 1967?
« on: January 13, 2014, 10:29:07 PM »
Gas: 24.5 to 29.9 per gallon.
Bread 25 cents a loaf for cheap stuff.
Wage: $1.65 was minimum wage. A Doctor or lawyers made $50k and malpractice insurace was like $2,000 a year.
Homes, in Chicago $12,-25k. In Los Angeles $30 - 50k.
New Toyota Corolla was $1800, Cadillac Brogam was 9K, Mustang GT was 8k, Mercedes SL was $25k, new VW was $1200.
Shasta Cola was 8 to 10 cents each.
A scoop of Ice Cream at Baskin Robbins was 35 cents.
A scoop of Ice cream at Walgreens or Thriftys was 5 cents.
Hamburger was 29 cents a pound.
T Bone steak was $1.15 a pound.
McDonald's Hamburger was 39 cents.
White Castle Hamburger was 15 cents.
Coffee was 10 cents a cup or $2 for THREE POUNDS.
The Sunday Times was 25 cents.
A pay phone call was 10 cents.
Bus ride was a quarter including free transfer.
Staten Island Ferry was 5 cents.
Rent was $65 to $75 for an old dumpy 1 bedroom and $100 - $115 for a nice apartment with pool, dishwasher, AC.
A movie was $1.50.
Popcorn was 50 cents.
A snickers bar was 5 cents.
Gum balls were a penny.
A dozen rubbers were 89 cents a box for Trojans.
Cigarettes were 27 cents in stores and 35 cents in machines.
Zig Zags were a nickel.
It cost $8.50 to see Linda Ronstadt in North Hollywood.
It cost $8.50 to see Hair live in Hollywood at the Aquarius Theater.
It cost $12.50 to fly from Los Angeles to San Francisco on Continental.
U.S. Coast Guard veteran, 1964-1968

Will Rogers never met Barack Obama. He would not like Obama.

I hate liberals. Liberalism is a disease that causes severe brain damage after it tries to suck knowledge and history out of yours.

Online Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
  • Alea iacta est! Libertatem aut mori!
Re: What did things cost in 1967?
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2014, 07:31:00 AM »
All I know is I could scrounge up a bunch of returnable bottles and go to the local store and buy a sack full of candy with my easily acquired treasure!

;D
We are now where The Founders were when they faced despotism.

Offline BigAlSouth

• Established Member
  • Who won't 'co-exist?'
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2014, 06:02:30 PM »
All I know is I could scrounge up a bunch of returnable bottles and go to the local store and buy a sack full of candy with my easily acquired treasure!

;D

My brother and I would wander over to the nearest construction site and collect as many soft drink bottles we could find. Then, we would take them to the grocery store and walk out with candy bars and Cokes.

Good times, Libertas. Good times.
The problems we face today are there because the people who work for a living
are outnumbered by those who vote for a living.
--------------
The enemy of my enemy is my friend; the friend of my enemy is, well, he is just a dumbass.

Offline rustybayonet

• Established Member
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2014, 06:24:10 PM »
Got out of the service Nov. 1965, left California and drove home to Michigan.  Last year and a half in the service, my total monthly income including wifes allotment was $425.50 per month.  My first job back home I made $165.00 per week + benefits, and I thought I was in s**t city.  Prices were a little lower than CG posted.  In early 1966 we bought our first house a 3 bedroom Cape Cod with full basement for $11,300.00, plus a new 1966 goat [GTO for you youngkids  ::laughonfloor::]for under $2,500.00.  Livin' high on the hog as they say.......
All gave some -- Some gave all    Humbled to be one of the 33 original members of the Coast Guard Honor Guard, started in 1962.
 Today is the Tomorrow, we worried about Yesterday

Offline AmericanPatriot

• Conservative Hero
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2014, 06:56:20 PM »
I pumped a lot of gas for $.259
Some "Thrifty" stations were 5 for a buck
There was a sandwich shop where hot dogs were $.25 or 5 for a buck

Pizza was a novelty here. One place had them for $.10/slice.
Comic books were a dime

Little off topic but I went to a country elementary school that had 2 grades/room
If we brought a nickel or dime, they took orders and a couple 6th graders went to the country store and brought back popsicles, penny candy or candy bars which we had as our afternoon snack after last recess.
Imagine that being allowed today.
BTW, I started first grade in 1956 so it wasn't THAT far back

Another thing before I let you get back on topic.
In first grade we didn't have running water in the school. There was a well but not enough water for inside bathrooms.
On the first day of second grade, we had a field trip down over the hill to see the new cistern which would have enough water to have inside baths
That was a big deal!!!

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I iz also makin a list. U on it pal.
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2014, 07:29:15 PM »
Let's see, in '67, I was thirteen, and I'm not clear if that's when Mom started complaining about bananas costing fifteen cents a pound or later on.

When I was a few years younger, around nine/ten, Mom would take us to the second-hand bookstore.  They'd cut the top third off the comic book covers and you got your choice of five for a quarter.
"Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer." - Mark Twain

"Let us assume for the moment everything you say about me is true. That just makes your problem bigger, doesn't it?"

Offline Alphabet Soup

• Conservative Superhero
  • Hier standt ich. Ich kann nicht anders
« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2014, 09:27:45 PM »
In 1967 I was in a hurry. I was in a hurry to get a license, get a car, and drive. I was in a hurry to be onstage in a world-famous band. I was in a hurry to have a girlfriend. I was in a hurry to grow up.

Many of my recollections of that period revolve around music. A year earlier I had wanted to see my idols (the Beatles) when they came to town. My mom refused to let me buy tickets so I rode the bus downtown on the sly and sat outside the Colosseum and listened to them. In '67 my mom wouldn't let me buy tickets to see the Doors when they played at The Eagles Auditorium (looking back I can definitely see why). I snuck out for that one, too.

The tickets for the Beatles were $6.00. The next year the tickets to see the Doors were $8.00. In '70 when I saw Hendrix I paid the princely sum of $13.00.

I suppose this is where I should insert that I assiduously saved my pennies and dimes toward some lofty goal but in truth I blew it all on concert tickets, pot and beer.

And yes - I was a wild child.

Offline warpmine

• Conservative Hero
« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2014, 10:02:01 PM »
Mustang GT for $8k????  I don't think so. Perhaps a Ford Cobra 427 but not a Mustang.
Remember, four boxes keep us free:
The soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.

Offline oldcoastie6468

• Conservative Hero
« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2014, 10:09:44 PM »
How much is a 1967 shelby gt 500 cost?

Answer
Retail price in 1967:
Shelby GT500: $4,195

Power disc brakes: $63.77
Power steering: $84.47
Shoulder harness: $50.76
Select-O-Matic transmission: $50.00
Air conditioner, SelectAire: $356.09
Exhaust emission control system: $45.45 Closed crankcase emission system: $5.19 Fold-down rear seat (mandatory): $64.77 Radio, AM push-button: $57.51
Deluxe wheels: $185.00
Rallye stripe: $34.95
Price today range from $90K for a restorable derelict upward to $200K for a vehicle with a proper provenance and race history.

http://wiki.answers.com/Q/How_much_is_a_1967_shelby_gt500_cost
U.S. Coast Guard veteran, 1964-1968

Will Rogers never met Barack Obama. He would not like Obama.

I hate liberals. Liberalism is a disease that causes severe brain damage after it tries to suck knowledge and history out of yours.

Offline trapeze

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • Hippies smell bad. Go away, hippie.
« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2014, 10:50:51 PM »
You forgot to mention that other standard feature of Shelby Cobras...the cop in the rear view mirror.
In a doomsday scenario, hippies will be among the first casualties. So not everything about doomsday will be bad.

Online Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #10 on: January 15, 2014, 07:25:54 AM »
In 1967 I was in a hurry. I was in a hurry to get a license, get a car, and drive. I was in a hurry to be onstage in a world-famous band. I was in a hurry to have a girlfriend. I was in a hurry to grow up.

Many of my recollections of that period revolve around music. A year earlier I had wanted to see my idols (the Beatles) when they came to town. My mom refused to let me buy tickets so I rode the bus downtown on the sly and sat outside the Colosseum and listened to them. In '67 my mom wouldn't let me buy tickets to see the Doors when they played at The Eagles Auditorium (looking back I can definitely see why). I snuck out for that one, too.

The tickets for the Beatles were $6.00. The next year the tickets to see the Doors were $8.00. In '70 when I saw Hendrix I paid the princely sum of $13.00.

I suppose this is where I should insert that I assiduously saved my pennies and dimes toward some lofty goal but in truth I blew it all on concert tickets, pot and beer.

My brother!   ;D

OK, you were just a few years ahead of me...the 70's were my wild(er) years!

Offline BigAlSouth

• Established Member
  • Who won't 'co-exist?'
« Reply #11 on: January 15, 2014, 03:15:16 PM »

When I was a few years younger, around nine/ten, Mom would take us to the second-hand bookstore.  They'd cut the top third off the comic book covers and you got your choice of five for a quarter.

Know why they did that? The original retailer would mail in the top part to get reimbursed for not selling the comic book that month.Then, they would heavily discount the comic and make more money on the discount issue!
The problems we face today are there because the people who work for a living
are outnumbered by those who vote for a living.
--------------
The enemy of my enemy is my friend; the friend of my enemy is, well, he is just a dumbass.

Offline Septugenarian

• A Regular
« Reply #12 on: January 15, 2014, 03:39:35 PM »

In the early '50s a neighbor's daughter worked at Woolworth's and brought home all those comics that didn't sell for us kids.  We got to read all the comics for free.  Too bad she got married and moved.
I'm entitled (to be cranky).

Offline AlanS

• Conservative Superhero
  • Proud Infidel
« Reply #13 on: January 15, 2014, 04:41:54 PM »

My brother!   ;D

I graduated HS in 1975, so yes, I can relate. ::pimp::
"Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem."

Thomas Jefferson

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I iz also makin a list. U on it pal.
« Reply #14 on: January 15, 2014, 04:42:38 PM »

Know why they did that? The original retailer would mail in the top part to get reimbursed for not selling the comic book that month.Then, they would heavily discount the comic and make more money on the discount issue!

I've got no problem with that.  They made a little money, stayed in business and we got our comics.
"Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer." - Mark Twain

"Let us assume for the moment everything you say about me is true. That just makes your problem bigger, doesn't it?"

Online Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #15 on: January 16, 2014, 07:24:34 AM »

My brother!   ;D

I graduated HS in 1975, so yes, I can relate. ::pimp::

At least bands like Led Zeppelin, Deep Purple, Rush, Pink Floyd, Black Sabbath, Judas Priest, ZZ Top, Kiss, Nazareth, AC/DC, Van Halen and Ted Nugent helped me survive the D**** craze and that soft mellow pop crap that corrupted the airwaves then!

Offline Alphabet Soup

• Conservative Superhero
  • Hier standt ich. Ich kann nicht anders
« Reply #16 on: January 16, 2014, 09:48:44 AM »
I saw music and musicians on TV in the early sixties and was instantly hooked. I loved most nearly everything except the weepy cowboy music. My dad used to rouse us kids on Saturdays with big band and marching music. The influences seemed ever-present and intoxicating.

Remember how you used to look forward to the next innovation in music? From the late 50's through the early 80's music made a rapid evolution that was breathtaking. Whatever you liked - from light pop to heavy metal to junky punky to R&B there was something new and exciting at every turn.

When was the last time you saw anything innovative or exciting in music? When was the last time you bought any music that wasn't ten years old? LOL

Online Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #17 on: January 16, 2014, 11:49:34 AM »
Modern buttdonkedonk music not innovative enough for ya?! 

::hysterical::

Heh, I agree though.  But I suppose the youth of today look upon us as goofy old foggies who don't know what they're talkin' about.

It is what it is.  Do the youth know the genesis of what they listen to?  Who influenced them beyond one generation?  Some maybe.  Beyond two generations?  That early R&R and modern country grew out of blues that filtered up from the delta into places like Chicago?  Doubtful.