Author Topic: Rogue Cell Towers  (Read 864 times)

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
  • Alea iacta est! Libertatem aut mori!
Rogue Cell Towers
« on: September 04, 2014, 07:13:16 AM »
Well, not surprised...but I guess I never heard discussion of their existence until now...

http://chicago.cbslocal.com/2014/09/03/rouge-cell-towers-can-intercept-your-data-at-least-one-found-in-chicago/

Great.  The ESD website doesn't seem to list prices for their stuff...

http://esdcryptophone.com/products/mobile

I guess if I have to ask privacy is not anything I can afford...

Swell.  I wonder if these clowns are giving protection money to the NSA and that is driving up the cost?

::pullhair::

Seems the common person has no choice...crooks in and out of government get a crack at us...
We are now where The Founders were when they faced despotism.

Offline Glock32

• Conservative Superhero
  • Get some!
Re: Rogue Cell Towers
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2014, 11:12:17 AM »
Well, I do know the government has devices like that.  What is it called, something like Stingray I think.  The article quotes some source as saying it's probably criminals because the government can simply obtain the data directly from the cellular carriers with a warrant (LOL, how quaint).  To me though, there's no distinction between criminals and government.  It's all one big criminal enterprise.  Plus the NSA is already harvesting every single bit that traverses the Internet or radio networks.
"The Fourth Estate is less honorable than the First Profession."

- Yours Truly

Offline richb

• Established Member
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2014, 02:45:46 PM »
The government doesn't need any equipment to listen in.   All they have to do is go to the phone companies switching offices (central office)  and plug in a phone.  Yes,  its that easy.   

Offline Alphabet Soup

• Conservative Superhero
  • Hier standt ich. Ich kann nicht anders
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2014, 02:48:40 PM »

I heard $3500. Can't (IDC enough to research) confirm. Understand they're selling briskly.

Offline Glock32

• Conservative Superhero
  • Get some!
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2014, 03:44:10 PM »
The government doesn't need any equipment to listen in.   All they have to do is go to the phone companies switching offices (central office)  and plug in a phone.  Yes,  its that easy.   

Hell, they don't even have to do that.  They have fiber optic trunks running directly to the NSA from the switching offices.
"The Fourth Estate is less honorable than the First Profession."

- Yours Truly

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
  • Alea iacta est! Libertatem aut mori!
« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2014, 06:47:18 AM »

I heard $3500. Can't (IDC enough to research) confirm. Understand they're selling briskly.

Yeah, I'm losing interest too.

Plus, I'll bet dollars to doughnuts NSA has passkeys to this encryption too, heck, they probably own the company through a myriad of blind trusts and shadow companies and are laughing their asses off as the proceeds for each sale hit their account!!!
We are now where The Founders were when they faced despotism.