Author Topic: Crack and America  (Read 1504 times)

Offline rickl

• Established Member
Crack and America
« on: August 04, 2011, 05:51:15 PM »
From Karl Denninger's Market Ticker early this morning.  It is a letter-perfect analogy with our present economic situation.

The night you had the chest pains was really scary.  You thought you were going to die.  But you didn't, and the next morning you feel fine - with another hit off the pipe, of course.

The doctor delivers his sermon: Stop the drugs, right now, or you're dead.

You solemnly nod your head in understanding.  You know he's right - you had that feeling the night before.  But you also know that if you quit you won't get to work the next day and you'll get fired.  You might get thrown into the street and starve.

When you get home you gaze longingly at the pipe.  "Just one more hit" you promise yourself.  "I can taper it off... over ten years" you say.  "It'll be ok" you reassure yourself.

And you reach for the pipe........

This is a must-read.  So go read it.
We are so far past and beyond the “long train of abuses and usurpations” that the Colonists and Founders experienced and which necessitated the Revolutionary War that they aren’t even visible in the rear-view mirror.
~ Ann Barnhardt

Offline IronDioPriest

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I refuse to accept my civil servants as my rulers
Re: Crack and America
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2011, 06:04:38 PM »
Ugh.
"A strict observance of the written laws is doubtless one of the high duties of a good citizen, but it is not the highest. The laws of necessity, of self-preservation, of saving our country when in danger, are of higher obligation. To lose our country by a scrupulous adherence to written law, would be to lose the law itself, with life, liberty, property and all those who are enjoying them with us; thus absurdly sacrificing the end to the means."

- Thomas Jefferson

Offline rickl

• Established Member
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2011, 06:15:47 PM »
Note that this Ticker was posted this morning at 9:09 am EDT---before the Dow dropped 500+ points.
We are so far past and beyond the “long train of abuses and usurpations” that the Colonists and Founders experienced and which necessitated the Revolutionary War that they aren’t even visible in the rear-view mirror.
~ Ann Barnhardt

Offline IronDioPriest

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I refuse to accept my civil servants as my rulers
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2011, 06:36:14 PM »
Note that this Ticker was posted this morning at 9:09 am EDT---before the Dow dropped 500+ points.

Double ugh.
"A strict observance of the written laws is doubtless one of the high duties of a good citizen, but it is not the highest. The laws of necessity, of self-preservation, of saving our country when in danger, are of higher obligation. To lose our country by a scrupulous adherence to written law, would be to lose the law itself, with life, liberty, property and all those who are enjoying them with us; thus absurdly sacrificing the end to the means."

- Thomas Jefferson

Offline Alphabet Soup

• Conservative Superhero
  • Hier standt ich. Ich kann nicht anders
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2011, 08:50:09 PM »

In the immediate wake of the sell-out vote the stock market shivered. I can just imagine the treasonous bastards crowing, "Well we dodged a bullet that ti..........."Thwack"!!!!!

Offline rickl

• Established Member
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2011, 08:54:00 PM »
Reminiscent of the Civil War general who said, "They couldn't hit an elephant at this dist---".

ETA:  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Sedgwick
« Last Edit: August 04, 2011, 09:00:00 PM by rickl »
~ Ann Barnhardt

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
  • Alea iacta est! Libertatem aut mori!
« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2011, 06:57:17 AM »
Anybody think the proglodytes will go for a 40% contraction in government without risking all-out civil war?

Anybody think the GOP as it is now (or ever will be) will be able to advocate cuts that deep?

This involves wholesale elimination of programs and departments, which I am all for, but the Ruling Class will choose hell on earth before letting it happen.

I think the path we are on is near impossible to prevent.  Delay of judgement day is possible, but avoiding it is folly.
We are now where The Founders were when they faced despotism.

Offline rickl

• Established Member
« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2011, 07:02:21 AM »
Looks like both the Asian and European markets got hammered too.

Hope your survival preps included plenty of  ::popcorn::.

ETA:  Why does a black box keep appearing behind the popcorn smiley?
~ Ann Barnhardt

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
  • Alea iacta est! Libertatem aut mori!
« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2011, 07:10:56 AM »
Yup.

I might have to play some double-short action today.

I dunno, what is that black box?

An old maid that got away or a nefarious tracking device planted by O'Bammy?!

::foilhathelicopter::
We are now where The Founders were when they faced despotism.

charlesoakwood

« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2011, 11:04:06 PM »
Reminiscent of the Civil War general who said, "They couldn't hit an elephant at this dist---".

ETA:  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Sedgwick
Sedgwick fell at the beginning of the Battle of Spotsylvania Court House, on May 9, 1864. His corps was probing skirmish lines ahead of the left flank of Confederate defenses and he was directing artillery placements. Confederate sharpshooters were about 1,000 yards (900 m) away and their shots caused members of his staff and artillerymen to duck for cover. Sedgwick strode around in the open and was quoted as saying, "What? Men dodging this way for single bullets? What will you do when they open fire along the whole line? I am ashamed of you. They couldn't hit an elephant at this distance." Although ashamed, his men continued to flinch and he repeated, "I'm ashamed of you, dodging that way. They couldn't hit an elephant at this distance."[3] Just seconds later he fell forward with a bullet hole below his left eye.[4]

They aimed for the shiny brass.

He led a quite remarkable life filled with great adversaries; I hope he was a great progenitor.