Author Topic: AK47 Build Project  (Read 6855 times)

Offline trapeze

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • Hippies smell bad. Go away, hippie.
AK47 Build Project
« on: January 26, 2013, 10:15:48 PM »
I am thinking of building my own AK47. I thought it might be a fun project.

Now, I know that this will be very difficult merely from a parts acquisition standpoint. Receivers (even flat sheet metal blanks) are difficult to come by right now due to "the panic." But I believe that eventually the market will catch up to demand and I will be able to buy everything I need. I have a fairly well furnished shop but I don't have a hydraulic press so I would prefer to get either a fully finished receiver or an 80% finished receiver. I have a spot welder and a light duty wire feed welder. I have an oxygen/acetylene rig. I have a drill press.

I would like to build a good but not outrageously expensive gun. I would really like to build one with a milled receiver and have sent an email to Firing Line Oklahoma asking very nicely if they would let me know when I can get one of theirs. But...I am perfectly willing to use a traditional sheet metal receiver if the wait time is ridiculously long. Perhaps I can build a sheet metal one first...don't know. In fact...perhaps I should build one for each of my kids, too.

I may have to purchase the jigs and a cheapo hydraulic press. I am willing to do this. A hydraulic press is one of those things that I believe I would probably find many uses for once I have it so it's no big deal to get one. Harbor Freight or Northern.

I don't see any problem with a DIY hardening of the steel.

And I am aware that there are lots (and lots) of youtube vids on AK build projects. I am also aware that there are certain federal rules that must be followed in order to have a legal finished product.

So...

I am looking for advice. I am not very familiar with the AK platform. I would prefer to not make stupid costly mistakes...buying unnecessary things, etc.

First of all, has anyone in our group assembled an AK before? I assume that Gunsmith might have done it but I would like to hear from anyone else who has?

I would like to build a traditional (non-folding stock) AK47 chambered for 7.62x39mm. There are, of course, many variants. Which should I try to acquire?

Who should I buy from?

What other questions should I be asking?

« Last Edit: January 26, 2013, 10:21:30 PM by trapeze »
In a doomsday scenario, hippies will be among the first casualties. So not everything about doomsday will be bad.

Offline Glock32

• Conservative Superhero
  • Get some!
Re: AK47 Build Project
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2013, 10:11:09 AM »
The best place for parts is K-VAR:  www.k-var.com

I have never built one from scratch though, should be fun.
"The Fourth Estate is less honorable than the First Profession."

- Yours Truly

Offline IronDioPriest

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I refuse to accept my civil servants as my rulers
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2013, 10:22:27 AM »
I wouldn't know where to begin. My "workshop" is a recording studio. Completely useless when SHTF.
"A strict observance of the written laws is doubtless one of the high duties of a good citizen, but it is not the highest. The laws of necessity, of self-preservation, of saving our country when in danger, are of higher obligation. To lose our country by a scrupulous adherence to written law, would be to lose the law itself, with life, liberty, property and all those who are enjoying them with us; thus absurdly sacrificing the end to the means."

- Thomas Jefferson

Offline Alphabet Soup

• Conservative Superhero
  • Hier standt ich. Ich kann nicht anders
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2013, 10:40:04 AM »
I wouldn't know where to begin. My "workshop" is a recording studio. Completely useless when SHTF.

I have one of each  ;)

Offline trapeze

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2013, 10:46:08 AM »
My shop is close to 3000 square feet and it's a little crowded with equipment and stuff. One of these days I will reorganize it a bit and maybe find the room for a milling machine and lathe.
In a doomsday scenario, hippies will be among the first casualties. So not everything about doomsday will be bad.

Offline IronDioPriest

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I refuse to accept my civil servants as my rulers
« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2013, 12:02:59 PM »

I have one of each  ;)

The truth of it is I've never been much for handiwork. I have a stark compliment of household tools, usually purchased when the need arose to own them. I've just never had much interest or aptitude for building or fixing, preferring to pay experts. Not very self-reliant of me, I know.
"A strict observance of the written laws is doubtless one of the high duties of a good citizen, but it is not the highest. The laws of necessity, of self-preservation, of saving our country when in danger, are of higher obligation. To lose our country by a scrupulous adherence to written law, would be to lose the law itself, with life, liberty, property and all those who are enjoying them with us; thus absurdly sacrificing the end to the means."

- Thomas Jefferson

Offline ChrstnHsbndFthr

• Established Member
    • Affordable Bail Bonds of NC, LLC
« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2013, 12:39:40 PM »

I have one of each  ;)

The truth of it is I've never been much for handiwork. I have a stark compliment of household tools, usually purchased when the need arose to own them. I've just never had much interest or aptitude for building or fixing, preferring to pay experts. Not very self-reliant of me, I know.
I am in the same boat, IDP, but I fear times are changing. The best prepared man, that survives in the short term, will be a valuable man indeed in the long term. I think of Joseph storing food for seven years and how Pharaoh was the most powerful wealthy king for hundreds of years after because of that foresight. Since I cannot fix things or build things, I must store up stuff that I think will have value in the coming years.  But, I admit I am very nervous about that.
“My mission today is to go forth and tell people about why I follow Christ and also what the Bible teaches, and part of that teaching is that women and men are meant to be together.

“However, I would never treat anyone with disrespect just because they are different from me. We are all created by the Almighty and like Him, I love all of humanity. We would all be better off if we loved God and loved each other.”
Phil Robertson an elder in the church of Christ

Offline trapeze

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2013, 12:19:16 AM »
Okay, time for an update.

I have spent an inordinate amount of time looking at one website after another and viewing many different videos on youtube.

One thing I have concluded is that the hardening process is a little more than I thought it was. It seems that I will need a very high temperature oven. I found a video that shows how to construct one but it seems like a staggering amount of work to make something needed for only a few uses. If I was going to be making several dozen AKs then it would make sense to invest in one but I don't have any notion of doing so at this point.

As an alternative, I am thinking about asking one of our local pottery makers if I can use their kiln for what amounts to just a few minutes.

Actually, I think that I will probably buy a fully finished receiver for my first build. I got an email from Southern Armaments which said that they are going to be getting in a batch of receivers on this Friday or Monday. I have already made arrangements with my local gun dealer to do the transfer. I think that if I can see and handle a properly made AK receiver then I will be in a better position to know if I am making my own correctly or not. I'm looking at getting this Russian one for $80

The next thing to look at is an AK parts kit. A parts kit is where you obtain the majority of the pieces you need to assemble your firearm. Like receivers, parts kits (especially good ones) are rather hard to come by these days but I think I have located a source in Arms of America. They have a hand selected Egyptian parts kit for a mere $379 which seems like a pretty good price in these crazy times. A hand selected parts kit is supposed to yield a better quality gun when it's all said and done. Several of the build videos that I have watched recommend a hand select when you can get it. Anyway, it is supposed to match up well with the Russian receiver. This parts kit comes with a bayonet which is convenient.

One of the things I have learned is that I will need to infuse my build with approximately a half dozen or so American parts in order for it to be a legal (BATF approved) firearm. There are lists of recommended parts to be replaced...things like hand guards, stocks and muzzle brakes. I am also under the impression that one of the things that you get (and must not use) in the parts kit is the fire control group that would contribute to making it full auto. I imagine that you could hold onto it for a special occasion, though.

Oddly enough, 30-round magazines may become an issue for me here in Colorado. Even now, the Democrats in our state legislature are plotting to outlaw magazines with more than 15 rounds. This is really no more than an inconvenience since I can purchase anything I damn well please in Texas and bring it back. Or have them drop shipped there and then forwarded. Democrats are stupid and evil...a pretty retarded combination when you think about the implications.

On a related subject: I have also been looking at making an AR15. Since the AR utilizes a milled receiver there is no hardening to worry about. No, for the AR build the big ticket item is some way to finish the milling on an 80% receiver. After you buy the 80% receiver you need to acquire a finishing jig that matches your receiver. Some jigs will fit many receivers and some will only fit the receiver which comes out of the same shop. A jig seems to go for around $100 on average. Most of the 80% AR receivers are going for about $100 from legitimate sites when you can find them. Problem is that you can't find them. So...if you want one quickly you will have to pay two or more times the normal rate. Gunbroker has 80% receivers all the time for $175 to $290 or so.

As for the milling process, I can do it on one of my drill presses. Or, if I wanted to get really serious about building ARs, I could buy a cheapo milling machine. These can be had for around $500 or so on eBay (this one is only $200) and other similar such places. The thing is, a drill press may not make for a very pretty finished product but you are using it to mill out a part of the receiver that you will never see unless you take the thing apart for cleaning or switching out parts so...maybe a milling machine isn't necessary.

So that's where I'm at right now. I'm hopefully going to be placing an order for an AK receiver and parts kit by this weekend or early next week. Another update will come when I have parts in hand.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2013, 12:22:36 AM by trapeze »

Offline trapeze

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2013, 12:34:09 AM »
Oh, and since I got on this build thingy I also decided to do a full repair of my old 2nd Gen iPod Touch. That involves replacing the battery (moderate skill level required to un-solder the old battery and solder in the new one) and the (broken) glass touchscreen. Still waiting for the battery to show up. I pried out the old glass today and it wasn't quite as difficult as I thought it might be. I am hoping that the battery shows up tomorrow. The repair parts were incredibly cheap at Amazon. The whole thing is probably less than $30

The bad thing about the 2nd gen iPod Touch is that it can't take the new iOS. I found out that most of the apps that I had on it are no longer compatible. That is, when you try to install a new version of, say, the Kindle reader you get a message that says that it isn't compatible with your OS and then it wont install. So that sucks. But a lot of stuff still works and I have about 25 gigs of music on it so there's that.

There is something deeply satisfying in repairing something that a lot of people would throw away. I am typing this with my new MacBook Pro. I got it yesterday. The old MacBook was five years old and had developed power management problems. Perhaps I will take on a repair attempt with it sometime down the line.

Offline Glock32

• Conservative Superhero
  • Get some!
« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2013, 01:20:20 AM »
Replacing the trigger group with a US made set will also count toward your 922(r) minimum. You would get three parts from the hammer, disconnector, and trigger. A US made gas piston and stock set would get you four more parts. It's really a perfect example of government idiocy that such things even have to be taken into account.

Regarding the parts, if you end up getting Egyptian parts, they had quite good barrels. The barrels were produced by Simson-Suhl in East Germany, and later they setup the machinery to make them in Egypt. The Germans have always made good stuff, so even the East Germans stuck behind the Iron Curtain became the "cream" of ComBloc manufacturing (something of a backhanded compliment I guess).

My first AK-pattern rifle, which I bought sometime in the late 90s, was basically an assortment of East German parts on a US-made receiver (Krinks -- no longer made). The receiver is crap. It is slightly out of dimensional specs, and they have a reputation for not being heat treated properly. But the rest of it is very nice. Good trigger pull, great barrel. Going the Egyptian or E. German route is not a bad idea at all.

My favorites overall though are the Romanians. They're a bit rough around the edges, but they are utterly functional. Arsenal makes some really nice rifles with Bulgarian components, but IMO their price points are way too high for an AK. When you're looking at $1000 (before the latest craze) for a basic AK, that's simply too much.

- Yours Truly

Offline trapeze

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #10 on: March 02, 2013, 09:19:07 PM »
While browsing around for AK parts I did find this interesting rifle which, strangely, appears to actually be available for purchase.

It's a VZ-58 which is the Czech equivalent of the AK47. It has a milled receiver and has several real improvements over the AK. Cost is $800
Personally, I would rather have a fixed stock than a side folder. But that's just me.

This one, also apparently available for sale, is a 100% US made variant called the C-39. Cost is $850

If I can find the money I think I might get the C-39. Normally, not a problem but I just shelled out for a new MacBook Pro so I'm a little short of pocket change at the moment. It looks pretty good for a 7.62x39 gun, though.

http://centerfiresystems.com
« Last Edit: March 02, 2013, 09:26:19 PM by trapeze »

Offline Glock32

• Conservative Superhero
  • Get some!
« Reply #11 on: March 03, 2013, 12:16:13 AM »
Yeah that's a nice looking rifle. Never heard of it.  As for the VZ-58, not sure why but the Czechs were always just a bit different. Before that they had a VZ-52 rifle chambered in, I believe, 7.62x45. It is ballistically the same as the 7.62x39 but I guess they wanted to be different. I think it might have been a subtle form of protest against the USSR.

The VZ-58 features prominently in Full Metal Jacket. It's the rifle used by the female sniper at the end of the movie.

« Last Edit: March 03, 2013, 12:20:26 AM by Glock32 »

- Yours Truly

Offline trapeze

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #12 on: March 06, 2013, 12:27:19 PM »
Okay...just purchased two (yeah, I decided to go ahead and double my build) AK47 receivers from Southern Armament.

They just got them in and they are going fast so if you want one you should probably buy it today.

Offline trapeze

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #13 on: March 06, 2013, 08:49:16 PM »
Got my local gun shop to do the transfer so the receiver order is on the way. Then I placed an order for a parts kit and a magazine from Arms Of America. I'm thinking that within a week I will have the receivers and the parts kit in hand.

After that I will look at what I will need to finish the build. Some American parts for the 922 compliance, of course, but probably a few accessories to go a little beyond mere compliance. I will begin taking pictures of the project when I have parts in hand and maybe even a video or two.

The first rifle built will be mine but the second one I am planning on making as a Christmas gift for my son. Don't tell him...I want it to be a surprise.

If this goes well (and I don't see why it won't) then as soon as I can get my hands on an AR receiver I am going to set about making one of those.

BTW...I stopped in at a hunting store in a nearby town this afternoon and much to my surprise I discovered that they had not one, but two AR15s in stock. They had a very pricey Bushmaster at $2400 and then there was a Rock River one that (comparatively) seemed a bargain at $1300. I can't find the Bushmaster but here is the the Rock River gun. The little paw prints on the hand guard are interesting. I don't have a new AR15 in my budget right now but if someone here wants one of these just let me know.

Offline Glock32

• Conservative Superhero
  • Get some!
« Reply #14 on: March 06, 2013, 08:57:03 PM »
Is it a barreled receiver? If not just be sure you get a set of headspace gauges so you can get the barrel spaced properly in the trunion. I've never had to do it, but am vaguely familiar with the process. Most I've done is using a no-go gauge to check surplus rifle chambers.

- Yours Truly

Offline trapeze

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #15 on: March 06, 2013, 10:24:52 PM »
Is it a barreled receiver? If not just be sure you get a set of headspace gauges so you can get the barrel spaced properly in the trunion. I've never had to do it, but am vaguely familiar with the process. Most I've done is using a no-go gauge to check surplus rifle chambers.

I have no idea at this point. I will find out when the stuff arrives. After that I will proceed slowly and carefully. I have a lot of youtube videos lined up on AK47 builds and I expect that most of my questions will be answered there. And, if not, I know several real gunsmiths that I can consult but I hope to not have to resort to that because it would be sort of cheating.

Offline trapeze

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #16 on: March 08, 2013, 01:13:38 PM »
I am going to be receiving my gun parts either today or on Monday. But then I have a road trip to Texas for a week so there won't be any progress until I get back. Too bad but I will be shopping for AK magazines and some non-AK ammo while I'm down there.

Offline AlanS

• Conservative Superhero
  • Proud Infidel
« Reply #17 on: March 08, 2013, 05:53:32 PM »
......but I will be shopping for AK magazines and some non-AK ammo while I'm down there.

Hope you have better luck in TX than we do in the swamps.
"Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem."

Thomas Jefferson

Offline trapeze

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #18 on: March 24, 2013, 10:52:08 PM »
I received my Maadi parts kit and I am sincerely underwhelmed. I thought that by buying a parts kit I would be getting almost everything I needed to put a gun together. I was very wrong. Expensive lesson.

I suppose that I at least got a full auto trigger group out of it. The kit didn't have a barrel and that was extremely disappointing. When I went back to the site I bought it from there it was in fine print...no barrel included. I felt pretty stupid for not noticing that. And for a "hand picked" kit the furniture was terrible. I know now that I could have purchased individual parts (no doubt of higher quality) for less. So that's what I will be doing when I build the second one.

Building this gun is going to be very expensive. I will need to invest in several expensive tools to get this done. For instance, I will need a way to press rivets into the receiver. The cheapest solution I have found is a set of replacement jaws for a bolt cutter at around $70. Oh, and a decent barrel will cost at least $100.

At this rate I will be done with the first rifle in about three months. I thought for sure that I could get through this much quicker than that.

Offline trapeze

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #19 on: April 02, 2013, 03:35:36 PM »
I cleaned up my parts kit today. Soaked everything in mineral spirits. The furniture looks a lot better, nearly acceptable, but I think that I am still going to go with new synthetic stuff when I get to that point.

Right now, the thing that is holding me back is the lack of a barrel. It took me a long time to get a receiver and a parts kit and I have been looking for quite a while now and there are almost zero barrels to be had. The ones that I have found are not chrome lined so I am going to be patient and wait for what I want to continue the build.

In the meantime I am ordering a rivet kit and one of the bolt cutter riveting tools so that I can at least move forward with that part of the project.

And I am going to have to find a source for 30 round mags and get those coming before they are illegal in July. Not that I can't buy them in Texas but I just want to have that part of the process out of the way. And I guess I will also need to start stocking up on ammo for it, too.

This project is beginning to get interesting and it might just develop into a full blown hobby. I haven't had an obsession-grade hobby since the feds outlawed online poker. The only problem will be what to do with all of the firearms I make. Technically, I not supposed to sell anything (without a serial number) that I make so I guess I will be giving them away. Someday. After I have some.