Author Topic: Looking for ammo  (Read 3534 times)

Offline Predator Don

• Conservative Superhero
Looking for ammo
« on: April 03, 2013, 12:07:45 AM »
Normally, I don't look to buy ammo online. Usually I can find it at one of several gun shops in my area......until today. My son needed 5.56 and I wanted some 9mm and 380. We couldn't locate a single box. We ended up calling a place who had what we wanted, ( except for 9mm) had to drive a few miles but I ended up buying the 12 boxes of 380 and the 4 boxes of 556, all he had.

So......ive  never paid attention to online retailers some of you use, but I'm open to suggestions....lol
I'm not always engulfed in scandals, but when I am, I make sure I blame others.

Offline Glock32

• Conservative Superhero
  • Get some!
Re: Looking for ammo
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2013, 12:32:38 AM »
All of my regular suppliers online are cleaned out.  ammoman.com has some .223 in stock, but you'll pay for it.

My regular rotation includes the following...it's worth checking them out periodically:

Widener's
SG Ammo
Ammunition To Go (I love that name)
Natchez
Ammo Man
Dan's Ammo
The Sportsman's Guide

These are some others I'm familiar with, but haven't bought from:

www.aimsurplus.com
www.southernohiogun.com
www.jgsales.com
www.ableammo.com
www.luckygunner.com
www.palmettostatearmory.com

Good luck :)
"The Fourth Estate is less honorable than the First Profession."

- Yours Truly

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
  • Alea iacta est! Libertatem aut mori!
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2013, 06:43:31 AM »
You can also check some of the big sporting good reatailers too like Cabelas, BassPro etc, but they are all mostly cleaned out online.  In-store I see most flavors (with restrictions on quantity of course) return to Cabelas and Fleet Farm, but some stuff like .22LR, .223/5.56 is hard to find, if you have an AK or a Mosin-Nagant variant there is plety to be had.  Even the little Log Cabin place in Danbury this past Saturday had most flavors, except of course .22LR or .223/5.56.  I think it is going to be a while before any bulk opportunities come back for in-store purchases, if opportunities appear for that it will likely be with the online sellers Glock listed above.  I have 1k rounds of .22LR coming from Ammo To Go any day now, and I paid at least double what I should have.

As we find stuff available let's let each other know, we do a pretty good job of that already, but timing is the game now.

Happy hunting Don!

PS-Off topic, but my fever for open water fishing continues to grow, I recently swapped out my old clunky plastic tackle box for a soft-side case and have all my stuff organized (some compartments labeled) and all new line spooled on my reels.  Watching fishing shows of guys hauling in mutant bass isn't dampening my enthusiasm at all!
 ;D
We are now where The Founders were when they faced despotism.

Offline Predator Don

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2013, 08:00:05 AM »
You can also check some of the big sporting good reatailers too like Cabelas, BassPro etc, but they are all mostly cleaned out online.  In-store I see most flavors (with restrictions on quantity of course) return to Cabelas and Fleet Farm, but some stuff like .22LR, .223/5.56 is hard to find, if you have an AK or a Mosin-Nagant variant there is plety to be had.  Even the little Log Cabin place in Danbury this past Saturday had most flavors, except of course .22LR or .223/5.56.  I think it is going to be a while before any bulk opportunities come back for in-store purchases, if opportunities appear for that it will likely be with the online sellers Glock listed above.  I have 1k rounds of .22LR coming from Ammo To Go any day now, and I paid at least double what I should have.

As we find stuff available let's let each other know, we do a pretty good job of that already, but timing is the game now.

Happy hunting Don!

PS-Off topic, but my fever for open water fishing continues to grow, I recently swapped out my old clunky plastic tackle box for a soft-side case and have all my stuff organized (some compartments labeled) and all new line spooled on my reels.  Watching fishing shows of guys hauling in mutant bass isn't dampening my enthusiasm at all!
 ;D

I know ammo is scarce, but I've always found something. I have a 9mm I won't shoot because im so low. I did buy 600 rounds of 380, all they had. My son bought 100 rounds of 5.56, Again all they had. I'm also in the market for a 22 cal tactical rifle, something I can shoot for fun.

As far as fishing, lake guntersville, ky lake and chicamonga are on fire. 31 lb sack on guntersville only took 3 rd. a tournament was won on chicamonga with just over 40 lbs. it took 31 lbs to win on ky lake. Had 20 lbs and didn't sniff a check. It is incredible right now. Google lake guntersville fishing reports and eyeball the fish being caught there today.
I'm not always engulfed in scandals, but when I am, I make sure I blame others.

Offline trapeze

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • Hippies smell bad. Go away, hippie.
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2013, 08:43:15 AM »
Use the Walmart strategy.
In a doomsday scenario, hippies will be among the first casualties. So not everything about doomsday will be bad.

Offline trapeze

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2013, 09:11:07 AM »
And CT lawmakers, as I predicted on a different thread, have thrown more fuel on the ammo shortage fire with their new insane anti-gun bill.

Today, Connecticut lawmakers plan to vote on possible new gun control laws that could be some of the toughest in the country.

This was a big concern for gun owners, and thousands of them rushed to gun stores to stock up on guns and ammunition that could soon be illegal.

“They’re insane, I’ve never seen them so busy before,” said Shari Reilly

She bought high-capacity magazines at three different stores, from Norwalk to Newington, and she was irate over the possible changes.

“Beyond words, I’ve been calling and emailing all my representatives,” Reilly said.

State lawmakers could vote to ban those magazines sometime on Wednesday.

I would have said Democrats instead of lawmakers but, supposedly, there are a few RINOs supporting this craziness that provides the Democrats cover in that area. I guess that's what you get in Connecticut.

The proposed gun laws include immediate background checks for all gun sales and a expanded assault weapons ban. Magazines over 10 rounds would be banned too and every magazine will need to be registered.

And, as I mentioned in the other thread, the state will be demanding to see "your papers" when you want to buy ammunition. The law will also require you to be pre-authorized by the state to be able to purchase ammo. I wonder when they will begin to register typewriters, copy machines and computers because this whole freedom and liberty thing has to be regulated, you know?

In a doomsday scenario, hippies will be among the first casualties. So not everything about doomsday will be bad.

Offline Glock32

• Conservative Superhero
  • Get some!
« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2013, 10:58:40 AM »
Yeah, get used to hearing "Ihre papieren, bitte." everywhere you go. Maybe they'll even have us start using internal passports. Oh wait, the "standardized" drivers licenses are pretty much that already.

- Yours Truly

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2013, 11:24:30 AM »

Happy hunting Don!

;D

I know ammo is scarce, but I've always found something. I have a 9mm I won't shoot because im so low. I did buy 600 rounds of 380, all they had. My son bought 100 rounds of 5.56, Again all they had. I'm also in the market for a 22 cal tactical rifle, something I can shoot for fun.

As far as fishing, lake guntersville, ky lake and chicamonga are on fire. 31 lb sack on guntersville only took 3 rd. a tournament was won on chicamonga with just over 40 lbs. it took 31 lbs to win on ky lake. Had 20 lbs and didn't sniff a check. It is incredible right now. Google lake guntersville fishing reports and eyeball the fish being caught there today.

Yumpin' Yimminy!   :o

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2013, 11:26:57 AM »
Yeah, get used to hearing "Ihre papieren, bitte." everywhere you go. Maybe they'll even have us start using internal passports. Oh wait, the "standardized" drivers licenses are pretty much that already.

People in CT should be rioting, people everywhere else ought to know they are on borrowed time.

Offline Glock32

• Conservative Superhero
  • Get some!
« Reply #9 on: April 03, 2013, 11:45:31 AM »

People in CT should be rioting, people everywhere else ought to know they are on borrowed time.

I am quite certain the die is cast. They mean to reduce us under tyranny, their every act is in service to that aim. All I can say is, all the millions of people who bought these guns better be prepared for the inevitability of having to use them.

- Yours Truly

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #10 on: April 03, 2013, 11:55:37 AM »

I am quite certain the die is cast. They mean to reduce us under tyranny, their every act is in service to that aim. All I can say is, all the millions of people who bought these guns better be prepared for the inevitability of having to use them.

Agreed.

Online benb61

• Established Member
  • My 2 fast cars
« Reply #11 on: April 03, 2013, 12:11:09 PM »

Agreed.

So say we all!
Eschew Obfuscation

Offline warpmine

• Conservative Hero
« Reply #12 on: April 03, 2013, 12:28:15 PM »

Agreed.

So say we all!
Yeah, right! The ingestion of fluoride from drinking water is likely going to stifle any thoughts regarding rebellion.
Remember, four boxes keep us free:
The soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #13 on: April 03, 2013, 01:04:22 PM »

Agreed.

So say we all!
Yeah, right! The ingestion of fluoride from drinking water is likely going to stifle any thoughts regarding rebellion.

General Ripper, how are things at the base?

Offline trapeze

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #14 on: April 05, 2013, 12:59:28 AM »
Well...back to ammunition availability.

I was looking around at various sites (as I am wont to do from time to time) and was surprised to see some availability beginning to creep back into the market. The prices at this site are not great but they aren't awful by any stretch of the imagination, either. And that is the way it will happen...availability will come back first and good prices will eventually follow as supply slowly but inevitably catches up with demand. I have looked at that site perhaps once every week to ten days and I haven't seen this much ammo available (not even anything close to this much) since the panic began. So...that's a good sign. Sort of like seeing the first robin of spring or something. Some warm days after a long, hard winter. Okay, I'm out of stupid seasonal metaphors.

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #15 on: April 05, 2013, 06:44:11 AM »
Wha...?  No allusion to emerging from hibernation, seeing ones shadow?

::facepalm::

You're slipping, Trap!

;D

Offline warpmine

• Conservative Hero
« Reply #16 on: April 16, 2013, 06:12:15 AM »
Members: I won two auctions to my surprise yesterday for .22 LR ammo. So I have an extra 550 round brick of Federal valu-pack if anyone is interested. The cost is $94 shipped anywhere in the lower 48. Decide amongst yourselves who's in greater need of it and PM me. To avoid a second shopping charge, I'll have the vendor drop it at your door instead of mine and you send me the money via check or money order. Any takers?

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #17 on: April 16, 2013, 07:19:41 AM »
Excellent offer Warp!  IIRC I think Don was really looking to score some rounds.

Trap started a thread over here, we're calling it the "Member Goods Exchange Thread", idea started with Ammo but I thought it might be good to be a starting point for anybody looking for anything!  People with requests could post what they are looking for and people with excess or a desire to offer something up for cash or trade could post too.  Might as well get used to operating in an environment like this, ones coming soon enough!

http://itsaboutliberty.com/index.php/topic,8103.0.html

Offline warpmine

• Conservative Hero
« Reply #18 on: April 16, 2013, 07:58:25 AM »
Excellent offer Warp!  IIRC I think Don was really looking to score some rounds.

Trap started a thread over here, we're calling it the "Member Goods Exchange Thread", idea started with Ammo but I thought it might be good to be a starting point for anybody looking for anything!  People with requests could post what they are looking for and people with excess or a desire to offer something up for cash or trade could post too.  Might as well get used to operating in an environment like this, ones coming soon enough!

http://itsaboutliberty.com/index.php/topic,8103.0.html
Thanks Libertas

Offline ChrstnHsbndFthr

• Established Member
    • Affordable Bail Bonds of NC, LLC
« Reply #19 on: April 17, 2013, 06:26:12 AM »
Got lucky yesterday and picked up some .40 s&W--just 100 rounds but had not been able to get ANY for some time. Still no .22 long rifle to be had at reasonable prices.
“My mission today is to go forth and tell people about why I follow Christ and also what the Bible teaches, and part of that teaching is that women and men are meant to be together.

“However, I would never treat anyone with disrespect just because they are different from me. We are all created by the Almighty and like Him, I love all of humanity. We would all be better off if we loved God and loved each other.”
Phil Robertson an elder in the church of Christ