Author Topic: It's coming..........  (Read 33455 times)

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I iz also makin a list. U on it pal.
Re: It's coming..........
« Reply #180 on: December 22, 2013, 07:55:30 PM »
An ice storm hit Toronto over the last couple of days.. Power out.. Etc.. You'd think they'd be all happy drinking their windmill heated starbucks and snuggling in front of their solar powered fire places.. But no.. Lib central Canada is sniveling about the cold..

Bwahah.  Schadenfreude strikes again.
"Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer." - Mark Twain

"Let us assume for the moment everything you say about me is true. That just makes your problem bigger, doesn't it?"

Offline oldcoastie6468

• Conservative Hero
« Reply #181 on: December 23, 2013, 10:26:48 PM »
Brrrrr....... 3oF out there now.
U.S. Coast Guard veteran, 1964-1968

Will Rogers never met Barack Obama. He would not like Obama.

I hate liberals. Liberalism is a disease that causes severe brain damage after it tries to suck knowledge and history out of yours.

Offline oldcoastie6468

• Conservative Hero
« Reply #182 on: December 23, 2013, 11:12:35 PM »
Well, now it's -8oF out there, and still falling. And we're supposed to get snow beginning tomorrow evening and continuing through Christmas morning. No big thing if I have to plow our driveway and the 91 year old neighbor's, though. I have to keep them open; his 90 year old wife was taken to the hospital the day before yesterday.

We all do what we need to do, correct? That's what we stand for here. (At least to my way of thinking.)

I hate liberals. Liberalism is a disease that causes severe brain damage after it tries to suck knowledge and history out of yours.

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I iz also makin a list. U on it pal.
« Reply #183 on: December 23, 2013, 11:22:56 PM »
That's it, fella; we do what we must.  You be safe plowing and traveling.
"Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer." - Mark Twain

"Let us assume for the moment everything you say about me is true. That just makes your problem bigger, doesn't it?"

Offline oldcoastie6468

• Conservative Hero
« Reply #184 on: December 24, 2013, 12:02:18 AM »
That's it, fella; we do what we must.  You be safe plowing and traveling.

Plowing and driving 2 blocks to the neighbor's are not problems at all. We're on a rural road, and that's one of the reasons I added to the factory lights on my John Deere - so I can be seen, not necessarily so I can see. Brighter lights and a tail light give me more confidence. (Although if I have to plow at night, the lights are invaluable.)

I WAS able to get the mowing deck out to our small barn. Couldn't have done it without the tire chains.

The barn was actually built almost around a steer; the original owners' son had a steer for 4H. It has a brick floor and it's wired for electricity.

And we almost lost it when this happened. (A 125 year old white oak fell 2 feet away from the barn.)

Driveway looking east.

Driveway looking south (it turns south at our property line).

Offline fordguy_85

« Reply #185 on: December 24, 2013, 12:12:08 AM »
 ::snoshovel:: You can keep it, 'cause I don't want it  ;)
Eric Morgan
"Can the liberties of a nation be secure when we have removed the conviction that these liberties are the gift of God?" - Thomas Jefferson

"Opinions and instructions do not outmatch the Constitution. Against it, they are void." - Calvin Coolidge

Offline oldcoastie6468

• Conservative Hero
« Reply #186 on: December 24, 2013, 12:21:56 AM »
::snoshovel:: You can keep it, 'cause I don't want it  ;)

No prob! Especially now that we're both retired, if we can't get out we don't labor to go out. We have 2 fireplaces and a pool table so........

Besides, there I go again! 

Offline oldcoastie6468

• Conservative Hero
« Reply #187 on: December 24, 2013, 03:21:00 PM »
We just talked to my BIL, who lives on 45 wooded acres south of Buffalo, NY. They got over a foot of snow every night for the last week (7 days). Some has melted, but he still has over 6' on the ground. So we have 6 inches of snow, and he has over 6 feet!

Except it's in Erie County.

His gas line froze up and they had no heat and could not use the stove. He has his own wellhead and pipeline (supplied by the Gas Company) and pays nothing for natural gas, but he's responsible for the maintenance. The deep snow prevented him from getting back to the wellhead with a 4x4 farm tractor, a neighbor couldn't get back there with a bigger 4x4 tractor either, and his SIL finally beat his way back with his huge 4x4 Case tractor. They worked for 15 hours to just get back to the wellhead. His SIL works with the gas company, and he used some special liquid to defrost and melt everything. They got the line cleared, and he's now running everything at the maximum temp setting 24x7 to get all of the moisture out of the line; if they need to cool the house(s) [one for them, one for his MIL, another for his FIL (he's sick and almost bedridden)] down, they just open the windows.

And you think YOU have problems...the water heater also crapped out during all of this mess.

Gee - the Rheem water heater I gave him only lasted for 23 years.  ::whatgives::

He and I are really glad they no longer have any livestock to worry about. (2 ponies, 3 goats, and a hog.) His daughter (our niece) however, had a goat die, which would normally be no problem. Trouble is: that goat and her horse were REAL close friends and slept in the same stall. They took the tractor, and the backhoe, and buried the goat. Now the horse lies on the ground, whinnying (sp?) and kicking the walls because she misses her goat so much.

::gaah::  ::falldownshocked::

I think I need a drink. Jack and water - hold the water and the ice.  ::snoshovel::  ::rimshot::
« Last Edit: December 24, 2013, 03:33:29 PM by oldcoastie6468 »

Offline Glock32

• Conservative Superhero
  • Get some!
« Reply #188 on: December 25, 2013, 02:37:40 PM »
I've heard in Alaska they have problems with natural gas and propane because it can get so cold the gas will become so dense that it no longer has any vapor pressure.  You could open a valve all the way and no gas would come out.
"The Fourth Estate is less honorable than the First Profession."

- Yours Truly

Offline oldcoastie6468

• Conservative Hero
« Reply #189 on: December 25, 2013, 11:18:43 PM »
I've heard in Alaska they have problems with natural gas and propane because it can get so cold the gas will become so dense that it no longer has any vapor pressure.  You could open a valve all the way and no gas would come out.

Diesel fuel turning into jelly is a problem in cold climes, too.

Offline Tania513

• Likes the place
« Reply #190 on: December 28, 2013, 09:35:02 PM »
I have heard, that we are supposed to be getting a nasty one tomorrow night, here in New England.. Bring it on!!

Offline oldcoastie6468

• Conservative Hero
« Reply #191 on: December 29, 2013, 10:36:10 AM »
We're supposed to get sub-zero, but no snow.

Offline John Florida

• Conservative Superhero
  • IT'S MY FONT AND I'LL USE IT IF I WANT TO!!
« Reply #192 on: December 29, 2013, 06:13:44 PM »
I have heard, that we are supposed to be getting a nasty one tomorrow night, here in New England.. Bring it on!!

Where are you in New England?I lived in Conn and my daughter is still there with the rest of my family.
All men are created equal"
 Filippo Mazzie

Offline oldcoastie6468

• Conservative Hero
« Reply #193 on: December 29, 2013, 07:07:09 PM »

Where are you in New England?I lived in Conn and my daughter is still there with the rest of my family.

Tania lives - or exists - in New Hampshire.

Offline oldcoastie6468

• Conservative Hero
« Reply #194 on: December 29, 2013, 07:08:12 PM »
Now another forecast says over 6" of snow later this week.

(Gotta post a poem here.....)

Offline Tania513

• Likes the place
« Reply #195 on: December 29, 2013, 11:03:35 PM »

Tania lives - or exists - in New Hampshire.

I am a Clam chowdah, lobstah roll eatin, snow tolerating, squito hating New Englandah!! I live in a 300 year old farm in Durham. Home of the UNH Wildcats!!

Offline oldcoastie6468

• Conservative Hero
« Reply #196 on: December 29, 2013, 11:56:05 PM »
I am a Clam chowdah, lobstah roll eatin, snow tolerating, squito hating New Englandah!! I live in a 300 year old farm in Durham. Home of the UNH Wildcats!!

We all have our crosses to bear and our sob stories to tell...  ;)  ::rimshot::

Offline oldcoastie6468

• Conservative Hero
« Reply #197 on: December 30, 2013, 12:28:27 AM »
As I promised.......

SNOW!

Dec 8   6 PM.  It started to snow. The first of the season and my wife and I took our cocktails and sat by the window watching the soft flakes drift down all over the area. It was beautiful!

Dec 9   We awoke to a beautiful blanket of crystal white snow covering the landscape! What a fantastic sight! Every tree and shrub covered with a beautiful white mantle! I shoveled snow for the first time in years and loved it. I did both our driveway and our sidewalk. Later the snowplow came along and covered up our sidewalk with compacted snow from the street, so I shoveled again.

Dec 12   The sun has melted all of our lovely snow. Oh well, I’m sure we will get some more before the lovely wintertime is through.

Dec 14   It snowed 8 inches last night and the temperature dropped to 20 degrees below zero. I shoveled the driveway and the sidewalk again, and then the snowplow came by and did its trick again.

Dec 15   Sold my sedan and bought a 4X4 so I can drive in the snow. Bought snow tires for my wife’s car.

Dec 18   Fell on my ass on the ice in the driveway. All I hurt was my feelings.

Dec 19   Still cold (below zero) and the icy roads make for very tough driving.

Dec 20   Had another 24 inches of the white sheit last night. More shoveling in store for me today. That damned snowplow came by twice.

Dec 22   We are assured of a white Christmas because 13 more inches of the white sheit fell today, and with this freezing weather it won’t melt until August. Got all dressed up to go out and shovel (boots, jumpsuit, heavy jacket, scarf, earmuffs, gloves, etc.) and then I had to pee!

Dec 23   I was going to go ice fishing today but my worms froze and I didn’t want the fish to break their teeth on my bait.

Dec 24   If I ever catch the son-of-a-bitch who drives that snowplow, I’ll drag him through the drifts by his balls! I think he hides around the corner and waits for me to finish shoveling and then he comes down the street at 100 miles an hour to throw snow all over what used to be my driveway, sidewalk and lawn!

Dec 25   Merry Christmas! They predict 20 more inches of the f***ing sheit tonight. Don’t they know how many shovels full of snow 20 inches is? To hell with Santa -- he doesn’t have to shovel all of that white sheit. The snowplow driver came by asking for a donation, and I smacked him in the face with my snow shovel.

Dec 26   We got 28 more inches and then some. I must be going snow-blind or have a severe case of cabin fever, because my wife is starting to look good to me.

Dec 28   The toilet froze. If you go outside, don’t eat the brown or yellow snow.

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
  • Alea iacta est! Libertatem aut mori!
« Reply #198 on: December 30, 2013, 03:39:06 PM »
We're supposed to get sub-zero, but no snow.

I got both today!  It's like gettin' whupped upside the head and then asking for seconds! 

Oh well, keeps the riff raff from rootin' 'round!
We are now where The Founders were when they faced despotism.

Offline robins111

« Reply #199 on: December 30, 2013, 03:54:58 PM »
Went to work at 05:00 this morning.. the thermometer registered a minus 41 c... it was so cold it burned your hands climbing up the ladder to the cab of the truck.. trucks run 24-7 now till the cold snap breaks.. the tires on my pickup had a flat spot frozen on them and they thumped for about 5 minutes while driving till they warmed up..   Al Gore can kiss my hind end