Author Topic: Feel Good Story of the Week  (Read 991 times)

Offline BigAlSouth

• Established Member
  • Who won't 'co-exist?'
Feel Good Story of the Week
« on: April 14, 2011, 10:39:36 AM »
Most folks do not realize that there is a movement afoot to boycott all goods manufactured in Israel. From Yourish.com:

Reality sets in: An Australian town council voted to boycott Israel, and did the number-crunching of what it would cost to replace “Israeli” products with something else: $3.7 million (and even in Australian dollars, that’s a lot). It’s being inundated by calls from angry taxpayers demanding that the council STFU about things that don’t affect them and don’t get involved in international affairs.

The Greens-dominated Marrickville Council, in Sydney’s inner west, voted in December to back the global Boycott, Divestment and Sanctions (BDS) movement, which boycotts all products said to be directly or indirectly associated with Israel.

A new Marrickville Council business paper reveals the boycott could cost taxpayers $3.7 million if all the recommendations contained within the document were adopted.
    Advertisement: Story continues below

More than $3 million of that would come from replacing all the authority’s Hewlett-Packard computers, which the BDS website claims are used at Israeli military checkpoints that restrict the movement of Palestinians. The BDS movement was started in 2005 in protest over alleged oppression of Palestinians.

It’s a beautiful thing, reality. Whether or not the councillors will listen to their angry constituents is going to be decided next week. Oh, and this council has voted to boycott a nation before: Burma.

OMG. Burma next! How will they survive?

http://www.yourish.com/2011/04/14/14028
The problems we face today are there because the people who work for a living
are outnumbered by those who vote for a living.
--------------
The enemy of my enemy is my friend; the friend of my enemy is, well, he is just a dumbass.

Offline LadyVirginia

• Conservative Superhero
  • Mt. Vernon painting by Francis Jukes
Re: Feel Good Story of the Week
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2011, 10:51:25 AM »

It’s being inundated by calls from angry taxpayers demanding that the council STFU about things that don’t affect them and don’t get involved in international affairs.

I love it when common sense breaks out in different parts of the world.

"And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor."

Online Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
  • Alea iacta est! Libertatem aut mori!
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2011, 11:20:04 AM »
Indeed!  A healthy and properly functioning cerebral cortex is a beautiful thing to behold!

::cool::
« Last Edit: April 14, 2011, 02:40:43 PM by Libertas »
We are now where The Founders were when they faced despotism.

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I iz also makin a list. U on it pal.
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2011, 01:49:04 PM »
I never see anything for sale here that was made in Israel - that I'm aware of.  Anybody know if we actually import, and if so, what (besides a few food items)?

Good on those folks!
"Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer." - Mark Twain

"Let us assume for the moment everything you say about me is true. That just makes your problem bigger, doesn't it?"

charlesoakwood

« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2011, 02:20:51 PM »

I bought Danish hams. I would be glad to by Israeli products.

I already boycott certain countries products, ie Turkey.

Online Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
  • Alea iacta est! Libertatem aut mori!
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2011, 02:41:32 PM »
Wish I could completely avoid ChiCom products...but they're fricken everywhere!

::cussing::
We are now where The Founders were when they faced despotism.

Offline BigAlSouth

• Established Member
  • Who won't 'co-exist?'
« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2011, 04:30:28 PM »
Wish I could completely avoid ChiCom products...but they're fricken everywhere!

::cussing::

Most Chinese goods are made in Commieland, but there are some still made on Formosa. I used to know the way to tell the difference.
The problems we face today are there because the people who work for a living
are outnumbered by those who vote for a living.
--------------
The enemy of my enemy is my friend; the friend of my enemy is, well, he is just a dumbass.

Offline LadyVirginia

• Conservative Superhero
  • Mt. Vernon painting by Francis Jukes
« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2011, 04:39:45 PM »

Most Chinese goods are made in Commieland, but there are some still made on Formosa. I used to know the way to tell the difference.

ROC--Republic of China

Though I just don't see that as often as I used to--don't know why
"And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor."

hemm

« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2011, 06:14:48 PM »
Indeed!  A healthy and properly functioning cerebral cortex is a beautiful thing to behold!

::cool::

and extremely rare inside the beltway...........