Author Topic: Hey buddy want fresh Veggies?  (Read 1454 times)

Offline John Florida

• Conservative Superhero
  • IT'S MY FONT AND I'LL USE IT IF I WANT TO!!
Hey buddy want fresh Veggies?
« on: April 15, 2011, 01:21:32 PM »
The high price of produce, especially for tomatoes after the deep winter freezes, has attracted more than heightened attention from consumers. A ring of sophisticated vegetable bandits was watching, too.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/42603382/ns/us_news-the_new_york_times/?GT1=43001
All men are created equal"
 Filippo Mazzie

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I iz also makin a list. U on it pal.
Re: Hey buddy want fresh Veggies?
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2011, 01:25:39 PM »
I suspect this practice will only grow as food becomes more and more expensive.
"Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer." - Mark Twain

"Let us assume for the moment everything you say about me is true. That just makes your problem bigger, doesn't it?"

Offline John Florida

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2011, 01:44:41 PM »

That stuff is going to end up in every mom and pop store in the tri state. It was sold for the most part the day the got it. Switch out the trucks in the first 3/4 hours and blend into traffic.
 Filippo Mazzie

charlesoakwood

« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2011, 02:01:19 PM »

That stuff is going to end up in every mom and pop store in the tri state. It was sold for the most part the day the got it. Switch out the trucks in the first 3/4 hours and blend into traffic.

This was an elaborate production to gross only $300K. 
Whomever contrived this idea knew it would be a short lived company. 
They could have done as they do in Mexico and simply stole the trucks.

Offline John Florida

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2011, 02:19:34 PM »

This was an elaborate production to gross only $300K. 
Whomever contrived this idea knew it would be a short lived company. 
They could have done as they do in Mexico and simply stole the trucks.

You don't think that they used their own trucks???The trucks are as hot as the cargo. They didn't use their own trucks till the load was switched out.And I'll bet they sold it some of it to other food suppliers. Wish I knew where the beef went off to. But then again I'm way out of range.
 Filippo Mazzie

Offline michelleo

« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2011, 09:28:36 PM »
That's the new norm.  Hopenchange!!

Weisshaupt and I are semi-serious about the whole yak thing.  But we're worried that the land we'd have to graze them on is not contiguous to the land with the house on it.  We're worried about rustlers.  I guess it's not out of the question to be worried.

charlesoakwood

« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2011, 09:55:46 PM »

Safest thing about yaks and rustlers is ease of sale or resale.

psst,want to buy a yak?
sure, what caliber is it?

Offline John Florida

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2011, 10:57:45 PM »

Weisshaupt and I are semi-serious about the whole yak thing.  But we're worried that the land we'd have to graze them on is not contiguous to the land with the house on it.  We're worried about rustlers.  I guess it's not out of the question to be worried.

If it's that far away and that prone to thieves maybe the best bet is to pen them as close as you can and bring the feed to them and only pasture them when you can stand guard and bring them home again.It's a pain but how many options are there?
 Filippo Mazzie

Offline michelleo

« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2011, 09:50:10 AM »

If it's that far away and that prone to thieves maybe the best bet is to pen them as close as you can and bring the feed to them and only pasture them when you can stand guard and bring them home again.It's a pain but how many options are there?

True.
Just wish we had had gobs of money to buy a house with a lot of land.  If we buy the 40 acre lot we eventually could build a house on it and move to the lot.  In the meantime, we'd have to move the yaks back and forth 2 miles each way if rustling becomes a problem.

Offline John Florida

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #9 on: April 16, 2011, 10:09:02 AM »

True.
Just wish we had had gobs of money to buy a house with a lot of land.  If we buy the 40 acre lot we eventually could build a house on it and move to the lot.  In the meantime, we'd have to move the yaks back and forth 2 miles each way if rustling becomes a problem.

Or have great guard dogs,
 Filippo Mazzie

Offline John Florida

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #10 on: April 16, 2011, 10:34:33 AM »
Camers with motion sensers with an alarm feature.
 Filippo Mazzie