Author Topic: Well, this is telling  (Read 920 times)

Offline Weisshaupt

• Conservative Superhero
Well, this is telling
« on: February 18, 2014, 08:28:12 AM »
UK's Metro ran an article called "Focusing on what Britain means to you" and the pictures they posted with the question "If you had to sum up Britain in one image, what would you choose?"

And what they choose to promote the contest  is telling:

with the caption: Bubble power: Visitors mingle beneath grey skies in the capital (Picture: @teklaszocs)

Yes, a  dreary world in which  clueless people mill around taking pictures, the only color is produced by bubbles, and everything is overshadowed by the govt.

or

with the caption: Bright sight: These colourful houses, standing beneath a blue sky, remind us it’s not always gloomy in Britain (Picture: @tejas_shah94)

Is it me, or does it look like someone is trying to hard to paint a rosy picture?

Offline richb

• Established Member
Re: Well, this is telling
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2014, 05:15:58 PM »
My grandparents thought they had hit the big time when then bought their big single family house.   They even bought the lot next door so they wouldn't have a neighbor so close.............

Now that liberals have declared war on the single family house,,,,,,,,,,,,,  let alone one with a double lot.   

We were pretty happy when we ditched the row house for a free standing house when I was in high school.   I hope I never have to share a wall with a neighbor again.    My next place,  I hope comes with at least an acre. 

Offline AlanS

• Conservative Superhero
  • Proud Infidel
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2014, 05:25:50 PM »
I thought the first one was waiting for the bubble to burst.....
"Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem."

Thomas Jefferson

Offline richb

• Established Member
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2014, 05:27:56 PM »
I thought the first one was waiting for the bubble to burst.....

Ah,  missed that one.   I latched on the second one,  probably due to my ex business.   

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I iz also makin a list. U on it pal.
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2014, 09:46:10 PM »
My grandparents thought they had hit the big time when then bought their big single family house.   They even bought the lot next door so they wouldn't have a neighbor so close.............

Now that liberals have declared war on the single family house,,,,,,,,,,,,,  let alone one with a double lot.   

We were pretty happy when we ditched the row house for a free standing house when I was in high school.   I hope I never have to share a wall with a neighbor again.    My next place,  I hope comes with at least an acre.

The happiest and saddest day in my life was when we signed the mortgage on our house.  Done with living with the inconsiderate abiding on the other side of the wall; yea!!  Welcome to the bank's rules whereby we needed to sign papers agreeing to them "inspecting" our/their house at their discretion; waaaah!

Paid 'em off asap.  Now, they can all KMA and I'll never live >this< close to other humans if I can avoid it, so help me God.
"Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer." - Mark Twain

"Let us assume for the moment everything you say about me is true. That just makes your problem bigger, doesn't it?"

Offline trapeze

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • Hippies smell bad. Go away, hippie.
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2014, 10:03:21 PM »
My next place,  I hope comes with at least an acre. 

Trust me on this one...an acre isn't enough.
In a doomsday scenario, hippies will be among the first casualties. So not everything about doomsday will be bad.

Offline oldcoastie6468

• Conservative Hero
« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2014, 08:16:56 AM »

I hope I never have to share a wall with a neighbor again.    My next place,  I hope comes with at least an acre.

The happiest and saddest day in my life was when we signed the mortgage on our house.  Done with living with the inconsiderate abiding on the other side of the wall; yea!!  Welcome to the bank's rules whereby we needed to sign papers agreeing to them "inspecting" our/their house at their discretion; waaaah!

Paid 'em off asap.  Now, they can all KMA and I'll never live >this< close to other humans if I can avoid it, so help me God.[/quote]

Roger that! We had lived in a co-op apartment before we moved here. The next door "neighbors" were hillbillies who never shut up and partied until early in the morning. On the day we moved, I took my bowling ball and shoved it down the stairs (which were on the common wall). That was a nice sound, slamming each step all the way down to the bottom! Woke them up from their "restful" sleep.

I also used Thioglycolic acid (TGA) {LOOK IT UP!} with a syringe to inject it down inside the window channel of his pickup truck. He ended up trading in the truck because it smelled like a skunk had pisssed all over it. (That one got him REAL good!)

I'm not mean by nature, but in someone phuckkks with me and I can turn on him in a NY second.
U.S. Coast Guard veteran, 1964-1968

Will Rogers never met Barack Obama. He would not like Obama.

I hate liberals. Liberalism is a disease that causes severe brain damage after it tries to suck knowledge and history out of yours.

Offline warpmine

• Conservative Hero
« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2014, 09:37:47 AM »

I hope I never have to share a wall with a neighbor again.    My next place,  I hope comes with at least an acre.

Paid 'em off asap.  Now, they can all KMA and I'll never live >this< close to other humans if I can avoid it, so help me God.

Roger that! We had lived in a co-op apartment before we moved here. The next door "neighbors" were hillbillies who never shut up and partied until early in the morning. On the day we moved, I took my bowling ball and shoved it down the stairs (which were on the common wall). That was a nice sound, slamming each step all the way down to the bottom! Woke them up from their "restful" sleep.

I also used Thioglycolic acid (TGA) {LOOK IT UP!} with a syringe to inject it down inside the window channel of his pickup truck. He ended up trading in the truck because it smelled like a skunk had pisssed all over it. (That one got him REAL good!)

I'm not mean by nature, but in someone phuckkks with me and I can turn on him in a NY second.
[/quote]
Ha! When I moved out of the hole(apartment co-opt) I cranked up the stereo for some much needed tunes all 160 watts as the assholes above worked graveyard shift at USPS, always came home paced back and forth across the bedroom threshold until it was so worn the floor creaked with every step. They owned theirs. When I gently complained, cordially, O was told that they put extra padding on the floor to absorb the sound of their feet. Repairing the f**king plywood apparently eluded them. For 2.5 hours every morning between 6:30 and 9 AM, I had to wake up whether I wanted to or not.

Oh, can you guess the ethnicity(postal workers should give you the clue)?
Remember, four boxes keep us free:
The soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.

Offline oldcoastie6468

• Conservative Hero
« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2014, 10:00:09 AM »
 ::thinking::

;)

I hate liberals. Liberalism is a disease that causes severe brain damage after it tries to suck knowledge and history out of yours.

Offline richb

• Established Member
« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2014, 06:04:15 PM »
My next place,  I hope comes with at least an acre. 

Trust me on this one...an acre isn't enough.

Well the problem is that an acre (in a area that is liveable) in my parts,  cost upwards of 300 grand.   Its one of the things I hated about selling real estate.   Telling people that they had no way of getting that big lot. 

Offline oldcoastie6468

• Conservative Hero
« Reply #10 on: February 20, 2014, 07:19:15 AM »
warpmine, we had a neighbor - and he was NOT a friend - who had a birthday cake and a loud party every year on Hitler's birthday. One year it got so bad that I called the cops and they took him away in cuffs.