Author Topic: Sterling vows to take Clippers fight to SCOTUS  (Read 2572 times)

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
  • Alea iacta est! Libertatem aut mori!
Sterling vows to take Clippers fight to SCOTUS
« on: May 14, 2014, 11:42:29 AM »
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2627675/EXCLUSIVE-Donald-Sterling-vows-fight-LA-Clippers-Supreme-Court-calls-Obama-flippant-attacking-racist-views.html

I think his angst is justified and I don't think it will take 20 years to resolve this (Sterling won't last that long anyway) because either the Courts agree that you cannot be forced to sell something you own (this isn't tangible property of the same class as land that is subject to the political whims granted by an overly expansive view of eminent domain those fools have allowed) or they say it is OK using the reverse ObamaCare argument: if the government can force purchase of something, why not force the sale of something too?!

So...

We'll find out soon enough how far down the toilet America is...

Like the Battle of Bunkerville, many nominally on our side of the fence will see yet another hill not worth dying on becuase of the person at the center of this...no matter what the defeat does to damage what is left of the Republic...

May Hell torment them all for eternity!
We are now where The Founders were when they faced despotism.

Offline richb

• Established Member
Re: Sterling vows to take Clippers fight to SCOTUS
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2014, 01:58:24 PM »
He likely won't live to see the end of this all,  but I hope he (or his ex-wife or estate) doesn't back down.  It has become a property rights case (that includes the recording) now,  that will need to be fought,  since we have been drifting down that way lately.   Of course the racism "charge" will be the focus of the lamesteam "media",  but when it comes down to the courtroom,  it really won't have much basis in the actual case.   It will be like the Monica and Bill case,  when the media was fixated on the sex but the actual case was the treason due to his lying.

Don't get me wrong,  Sterling is an major a**hole.    We do have to note he is no conservative and not even a Republican,  and not allow the lamestream media to paint him as one (as some have already done). 

But they are "punishing" him the wrong way.   They will likely lose,  at least in the past they would have lost.  They went too far and probably did it too fast.   They didn't want the bad press,  and it will now probably cost them.   That's what PC gets you.   So its a case where you don't like either side,  both sides suck. 

Its still a important case though.   Will the rule of law prevail or have we gone past that now, and "incorrect" thoughts going to cost you your businesses,  livelihood and income?     If Sterling is forced out,  it will be a matter of time that actual conservative pro sports team owners will be forced out.    I have heard that gay activists have Wayne Huizenga (Florida Panthers) in their sights.   

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I iz also makin a list. U on it pal.
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2014, 03:51:35 PM »
Mark Levin read the NFL NBA contract; nowhere in there does it say that the Commissioner had the authority to ban Sterling from the team, in effect to confiscate his ownership, nor that of his estranged wife, nor can he demand the sale of the team.  Neither is the 2.5 million dollar fine within the terms of the contract.  Furthermore, iirc, from what Levin said, no contract penalty at all is authorized for personal speech.

eta:  NFL, NBA, tomato, tomahto.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2014, 03:56:14 PM by Pandora »
"Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer." - Mark Twain

"Let us assume for the moment everything you say about me is true. That just makes your problem bigger, doesn't it?"

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I iz also makin a list. U on it pal.
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2014, 04:01:04 PM »
"Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer." - Mark Twain

"Let us assume for the moment everything you say about me is true. That just makes your problem bigger, doesn't it?"

Offline Alphabet Soup

• Conservative Superhero
  • Hier standt ich. Ich kann nicht anders
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2014, 06:30:40 PM »
Don't get me wrong,  Sterling is an major a**hole.    We do have to note he is no conservative and not even a Republican,  and not allow the lamestream media to paint him as one (as some have already done).

This is (IMO) one of the fundamental places where conservatives draw the brightline between themselves and the leftist scum of the earth. Yes, Sterling is an a-hole. But that doesn't (and shouldn't) preclude his constitutional rights.

G. Zimmerman was an a-hole, and a leftist who probably voted for Øbongo. It doesn't change the fact one iota that he was within his rights to defend himself against a mortal attack by whats his name. I would still defend his constitutional rights.

I don't have a dog in this dustup - I don't GAF about bassetball and I care even less for libtards. That said, I hope that he grinds the nba into mud.

Offline benb61

• Established Member
  • My 2 fast cars
« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2014, 06:59:25 PM »

This is (IMO) one of the fundamental places where conservatives draw the brightline between themselves and the leftist scum of the earth. Yes, Sterling is an a-hole. But that doesn't (and shouldn't) preclude his constitutional rights.

G. Zimmerman was an a-hole, and a leftist who probably voted for Øbongo. It doesn't change the fact one iota that he was within his rights to defend himself against a mortal attack by whats his name. I would still defend his constitutional rights.

I don't have a dog in this dustup - I don't GAF about bassetball and I care even less for libtards. That said, I hope that he grinds the nba into mud.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
What he said.
Eschew Obfuscation

Offline Predator Don

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2014, 07:14:44 PM »
I guess the NBA needs to create a litmus test for each owner or potential owner, in case they say something the NBA doesn't like.
I'm not always engulfed in scandals, but when I am, I make sure I blame others.

Offline AlanS

• Conservative Superhero
  • Proud Infidel
« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2014, 07:16:35 PM »
Mark Levin read the NFL NBA contract; nowhere in there does it say that the Commissioner had the authority to ban Sterling from the team, in effect to confiscate his ownership, nor that of his estranged wife, nor can he demand the sale of the team.  Neither is the 2.5 million dollar fine within the terms of the contract.  Furthermore, iirc, from what Levin said, no contract penalty at all is authorized for personal speech.

When was the last time libs cared about contracts?
"Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem."

Thomas Jefferson

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2014, 07:29:05 AM »

When was the last time libs cared about contracts?

They don't...

...unless enforcing them benefits only them...

And 'Soup is right, echoing the point I made regarding the Battle of Bunkerville, the person at the center of attention doesn't matter, so they are flawed?  BFD!  The principle under attack is of more consequential importance to ALL OF US.

Oh, and the statement in Pan's link that “You can’t force somebody to sell property in America!” I would argue is unsettled, thanks to ObamaCare...if people can be forced to buy something why cannot the opposite be just as lawful?  I mean if thers is to be any logic (effed up or otherwise) to all this crap, lets get to it!

Offline AlanS

• Conservative Superhero
  • Proud Infidel
« Reply #9 on: May 15, 2014, 09:16:57 AM »
Oh, and the statement in Pan's link that “You can’t force somebody to sell property in America!” ......

Eminent Domain. ::pullhair::
"Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem."

Thomas Jefferson

Offline Glock32

• Conservative Superhero
  • Get some!
« Reply #10 on: May 15, 2014, 09:57:34 AM »
Exactly.  All these longstanding concepts like eminent domain are things the Left happily enlists into serving their agenda. Already we see eminent domain being used for policy objectives and "public-private partnership" cronyism rather than genuine public utility. Why wouldn't the Left eventually get around to arguing that it's a public good to seize property from this or that figure because, you know, we simply can't have "someone that out of touch with the values of 21st century America" owning something of high visibility.
"The Fourth Estate is less honorable than the First Profession."

- Yours Truly

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #11 on: May 16, 2014, 07:12:45 AM »
Sterling says stick your fine...

http://variety.com/2014/biz/news/donald-sterling-refuses-nbas-2-5-million-fine-threatens-to-sue-1201183067/#

...let them short him on the TV payout...it will only ensure he goes all-in, cheap pot odds for this fella!

Offline Alphabet Soup

• Conservative Superhero
  • Hier standt ich. Ich kann nicht anders
« Reply #12 on: May 16, 2014, 09:00:48 AM »

http://variety.com/2014/biz/news/donald-sterling-refuses-nbas-2-5-million-fine-threatens-to-sue-1201183067/#

...let them short him on the TV payout...it will only ensure he goes all-in, cheap pot odds for this fella!

The comments (at the Variety link) are delightful!

More popcorn!

::popcorn::

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #13 on: May 16, 2014, 12:03:53 PM »

The comments (at the Variety link) are delightful!

More popcorn!

They are stirred up.

Variety and NPR must be wondering if Hell froze over or something!   ::hysterical::

Offline richb

• Established Member

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #15 on: May 16, 2014, 12:20:05 PM »
Sports Illustrated has a piece too.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/nba/news/20140515/donald-sterling-nba-la-clippers-adam-silver/

Wow.

Reading some of those comments will definitely lower your IQ...

NBA fans must be some of the dumbest on the planet...

Offline warpmine

• Conservative Hero
« Reply #16 on: May 17, 2014, 10:32:51 AM »
Sports Illustrated has a piece too.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/nba/news/20140515/donald-sterling-nba-la-clippers-adam-silver/

Wow.

Reading some of those comments will definitely lower your IQ...

NBA fans must be some of the dumbest on the planet...
I can verify and confirm that statement as some have worked for me in the past and please noticed that past tense of the term "work". I can deal with skin color, culture differences but I hate stupid people.
Remember, four boxes keep us free:
The soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #17 on: May 30, 2014, 07:46:19 AM »
Maybe Sterling is nuts...so what, not a danger to himself or others, so...this whole competency ruse seems pretty thin and if he is serious about fighting for the team then the drama is far from over...

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nba/clippers/2014/05/30/donald-sterling-mental-health-shelly-los-angeles-sale-steve-ballmer/9754549/