Author Topic: the right to insurance  (Read 878 times)

Offline whimsicalmamapig

the right to insurance
« on: August 02, 2014, 02:33:55 PM »
I recently have observed a series of commercials by a national car insurance company that portrays policy holders who are disguntled to learn that their rates go up when they file a claim.

It mainly struck me (apart from the granted entitlement mentality of the "owners" of the policies) that the characters who were supposed to represent your typical policy holder were totally ignorant of how insurance policies work. As the one character states (and I paraphrase here: what good is having insurance if you can't use it) the idea of insurance to her was that she paid a modest amount every month so that she could get a "Payout" if she had an accident and that the business that provided that service was only in it to make sure she was made whole without regard to their own profit margin. she was totally unaware that the probability that she may have another accident had entered into the factoring that set her new rate. she was being "punished" for using her product.

do we not instruct our children as to how the world really works anymore. Have we turned the total education of our children over to the hands of liberals who want to totally evade the realities of life in favor of the utopian would-be make-believe world they so hopelessly believe in?

We cannot survive when even the basic understanding of how the real, hard, unfair, world works is hidden from our children for fear that they may have an adverse reaction to the possibility of unending utopia.

I almost yearn for a disruption of our society akin to the great depression, just to cleanse the system and separate the wheat from the chaff.
Democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not.
Thomas Jefferson

Offline richb

• Established Member
Re: the right to insurance
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2014, 04:53:57 PM »
Well,  its not a surprise when you mandate the purchase of insurance.   There isn't a state you can drive without insurance,  granted you can give up the "right" of driving and be a hermit.   Car insurance is  not cheap anywhere anymore either (due to being forced to purchase) so there no longer is a reason for insurance companies to be inexpensive anymore.   So it is natural to think it will pay out for EVERYTHING.   

Now we are mandated to buy health insurance.   No opt out with this one, you can't opt of living.   So it will get worse as people pay through the nose.   Just wait until it doesn't pay a bill, because it will someday.   Hmmmmmmmmm.

Insurance companies will someday regret "partnering" with big government to make us buy their c**p.  One day the insurance companies will no longer be needed as the government will want all that money. 

Crony deals only encourage attitudes like that. 

My car insurance didn't go up after an accident I had last summer.   It wasn't my fault but I was the victim of a hit and run so my insurance had to pay out instead of the person who caused it.    Thought it would go up but not so far. 

Offline AlanS

• Conservative Superhero
  • Proud Infidel
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2014, 05:22:18 PM »
I don't watch a lot of TV, but I had to ask my wife why the "husband" in every commercial I saw was a ignorant metrosexual. It's like real men don't exist anymore.

The only reason I bring it up is because all commercials seem to aim for Darwin candidates.
"Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem."

Thomas Jefferson

Offline Glock32

• Conservative Superhero
  • Get some!
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2014, 07:09:27 PM »
I don't watch a lot of TV, but I had to ask my wife why the "husband" in every commercial I saw was a ignorant metrosexual. It's like real men don't exist anymore.

The only reason I bring it up is because all commercials seem to aim for Darwin candidates.

Yeah this has bugged me for years. It's virtually every depiction of a couple, or a family. Husband/Dad is depicted as a Homer Simpson, always making things worse with his incompetent attempts at cliche, outmoded caveman stuff. Meanwhile his long suffering wife is always the picture of feminine sophistication, either quietly fixing things herself and graciously allowing her oaf of a husband to think he did it, or else using it as an hilarious moment to further emasculate him in front of the world.

It's in things like this that liberals will inadvertently tell you how they want to order the world. An incompetent, dependent, unambitious (because they've had that drummed out of them) population of overgrown children living in some artificial extension of kindergarten. All of this goes doubly so for men. Classic masculinity is incompatible with the Left's vision, and also happens to be one of the things that could derail it. That's why it is incessantly ridiculed and maligned.
"The Fourth Estate is less honorable than the First Profession."

- Yours Truly

Offline Weisshaupt

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2014, 12:04:32 AM »
Well,  its not a surprise when you mandate the purchase of insurance.   There isn't a state you can drive without insurance,  granted you can give up the "right" of driving and be a hermit.

I still remember watching "Mr President" tell his GOP colleagues that he didn't  have "real insurance" because it only  paid out if HE was irresponsible and hurt others.  Not if they hurt him.. I have no problem with requiring liability on public roads  - but the "people" in charge have no understanding of personal responsibility...

« Last Edit: August 03, 2014, 06:51:58 AM by Weisshaupt »

Offline whimsicalmamapig

« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2014, 09:39:13 AM »
one of my concerns with this representative batch of insurance customers was that they represented a swath of American culture that totally misunderstood the insurance industry. I am afraid we have also created a similar swath of citizens that have that same lack of understanding of how their political/government systems work and are expecting more from their government than is possible and with little regard for how taxes and economics work.

This series of commercials just illustrated to me the dire ineptitude of our current class of citizens that explains their willingness to accept half-baked theories of climate change, or the inherent dangers of interrupting millennium long patterns of social behavior such as marriage and the family. We have paid deeply and dearly to fund an agenda-driven education and social system that has undermined the best of what humanity had been able to develop and replace it with untested and fantastical theoretical mumbo-jumbo cooked up in faculty lounges and pawned off as academic research.
Democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not.
Thomas Jefferson

Online Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
  • Alea iacta est! Libertatem aut mori!
« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2014, 07:38:03 AM »
I'm sure the Insurance-Trail Lawyer-CronyCapitalist-Progressive consipracy has nothing to do with any of this...move along, nothing to see here...have a nice day.
We are now where The Founders were when they faced despotism.