Author Topic: Courtesy or conditioning  (Read 1471 times)

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I iz also makin a list. U on it pal.
Courtesy or conditioning
« on: April 25, 2011, 04:06:16 PM »
Just stopped by Drudge and note the link to this article headline out of Georgia, Military patrols start Friday night in downtown Columbus, wherein one reads this.

Starting at 10 o’clock Friday, two senior non-commissioned officers from Fort Benning will be on courtesy patrol.  The soldiers will be wearing arm bands that read, “Courtesy Patrol.”

Fort Benning Commanding General Robert Brown and Columbus Mayor Teresa Tomlinson made the announcement earlier this week.

Is this really a “courtesy” measure, or, a conditioning measure for future implementation of martial law?
"Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer." - Mark Twain

"Let us assume for the moment everything you say about me is true. That just makes your problem bigger, doesn't it?"

Offline Glock32

• Conservative Superhero
  • Get some!
Re: Courtesy or conditioning
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2011, 04:21:34 PM »
So they can put the military on patrol of the streets of Columbus, Georgia but not the Mexican border. And yes, it's all about conditioning.

eta - finding the original article it sounds like this is targeted at undisciplined on-leave Army personnel. Columbus is near a major base then? Still, nothing can be taken at face value anymore, especially with the current administration.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2011, 04:26:33 PM by Glock32 »
"The Fourth Estate is less honorable than the First Profession."

- Yours Truly

Offline IronDioPriest

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I refuse to accept my civil servants as my rulers
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2011, 05:31:43 PM »
What is the point if not to make people used to military presence? These officers will have no constitutional law enforcement authority. So what purpose could there be for their presence? And why Columbus Georgia? Where's the need?

Things need to be reined in, or they're going to get completely out of hand.
"A strict observance of the written laws is doubtless one of the high duties of a good citizen, but it is not the highest. The laws of necessity, of self-preservation, of saving our country when in danger, are of higher obligation. To lose our country by a scrupulous adherence to written law, would be to lose the law itself, with life, liberty, property and all those who are enjoying them with us; thus absurdly sacrificing the end to the means."

- Thomas Jefferson

Offline LadyVirginia

• Conservative Superhero
  • Mt. Vernon painting by Francis Jukes
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2011, 05:34:06 PM »
If that was in my town I'd be parked outside the Mayor's office with signs, calling my neighbors and showing up to city council meetings asking for an explanation.
"And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor."

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2011, 05:34:22 PM »
Hah!  Too late.
"Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer." - Mark Twain

"Let us assume for the moment everything you say about me is true. That just makes your problem bigger, doesn't it?"

Offline John Florida

• Conservative Superhero
  • IT'S MY FONT AND I'LL USE IT IF I WANT TO!!
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2011, 05:40:16 PM »
IIRC this is not the first time they did this there. Am I correct?
All men are created equal"
 Filippo Mazzie

Offline Alphabet Soup

• Conservative Superhero
  • Hier standt ich. Ich kann nicht anders
« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2011, 06:43:55 PM »
File this under "Has the world gone Topsy-turvy?"

I don't have any idea how pervasive the leftism is in your community Pan, but the irony of living in a town filled with Seattlunatics is that, unlike me, they are unabashed in their hatred of the military. This could never happen here (absent a formal declaration of martial law).

Heck, we had riots when the Striker teams returned from Iraq. Our state capitol is also a marine port and the "citizens" attempted to pass laws forbidding the offloading of troops and equipment!

This needs to be nipped in the bud!

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2011, 07:16:04 PM »
It's pretty lefty where I am, but I'd say, on the whole, North Carolina isn't having any of that military-bashing.  Likewise, I don't believe the aforementioned little training exercise would go over very well in most places here.

This does need to be stepped on, hard, and I hope Georgia does so.

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
  • Alea iacta est! Libertatem aut mori!
« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2011, 08:11:29 PM »
Three thoughts -

1) Where is the police on this?  Is this OK with their leadership, rank-and-file, union?

2) This is something that, and I hate saying this, where if an incident occurs between soldiers and citizens, things could get fugly!  No mention of arms, but will they have night-sticks, flashlights & radios?  How does the operational control flow?  Who responsible? How will liability and injury/death issues be resolved? How does this pass constitutional muster?

3) This is a really bad idea that should not be entertained at all.  This better be nothing more than a trial balloon, I cannot conceive anything good coming of this.  It's as if they are trying to manufacture animosity toward military presence, which serves the military not one whit and establishes a dangerous precedent that could be perverted in the future, much to our regret.

This has to be challenged!
We are now where The Founders were when they faced despotism.

charlesoakwood

« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2011, 10:16:57 PM »

Possibly the fellas are just getting a little too rowdy for civilians and they need to be reminded they are not in the field.

I don't think the military wants to take over the country, they've got their hands full.

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #10 on: April 25, 2011, 10:28:53 PM »

Possibly the fellas are just getting a little too rowdy for civilians and they need to be reminded they are not in the field.

I don't think the military wants to take over the country, they've got their hands full.

I don't think the order-givers give a sht what "the military" wants.  They go where they're told and do what they're told.

Stay frosty .........

Offline Glock32

• Conservative Superhero
  • Get some!
« Reply #11 on: April 25, 2011, 10:47:48 PM »
I know the Navy will sometimes send SPs ashore during port calls to, if required, drag drunk and rowdy sailors back to Le Brig. Could this be basically the same thing?

Still, I don't ever recall it being noteworthy enough to warrant a news article. Lots of things are "different" now it would seem....
"The Fourth Estate is less honorable than the First Profession."

- Yours Truly

charlesoakwood

« Reply #12 on: April 25, 2011, 10:58:25 PM »

Every Top Cop , Fire Chief, and city councilperson will hold a press conference for two hours about nothing; It will make the 6 O'Clock News and odds on it will make Fox.

Offline Alphabet Soup

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #13 on: April 25, 2011, 11:37:59 PM »
This just doesn't make sense. My neck of the woods is permeated with military bases. I've seen MP's on duty before. There was never anything ominous about it.

They're labeling these soldiers as "Courtesy Patrol". Why not simply call them Military Police? If this report is to be believed it is just a couple of servicemen working with the local cop-shop in response to a few disturbances (one resulting in a fatality).

http://www2.wrbl.com/news/2011/apr/22/military-patrols-start-friday-night-ar-1752061/

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #14 on: April 25, 2011, 11:38:45 PM »
This just doesn't make sense. My neck of the woods is permeated with military bases. I've seen MP's on duty before. There was never anything ominous about it.

They're labeling these soldiers as "Courtesy Patrol". Why not simply call them Military Police? If this report is to be believed it is just a couple of servicemen working with the local cop-shop in response to a few disturbances (one resulting in a fatality).

http://www2.wrbl.com/news/2011/apr/22/military-patrols-start-friday-night-ar-1752061/

"Courtesy Police" as a courtesy to whom?

Offline Alphabet Soup

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #15 on: April 25, 2011, 11:43:50 PM »

"Courtesy Police" as a courtesy to whom?

Hence my confusion Pan. We all know the role of an MP. Why don't they simply say that they stepping up the presence of their MP's in response to the recent military-involved crimes? Why are they being deliberately coy?

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #16 on: April 25, 2011, 11:46:19 PM »
Can't say, but it is my first instinct, then through logical reason, to suspect nefariousness, hence conditioning.

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
  • Alea iacta est! Libertatem aut mori!
« Reply #17 on: April 26, 2011, 07:32:05 AM »
Agreed.  They are not MP's or SP's, so it implies they are not just patrolling their own.  When ashore/off base, they can only deal with military personnel, any civilians have to be left to the locals to handle.  This stinks.  I just don't understand any of this and nobody is pressing anyone to find out.  At least somebody on either Armed Services Committee needs to ask the Pentagon wtf is going on!
We are now where The Founders were when they faced despotism.