Author Topic: TNT's "Legend" Series  (Read 1225 times)

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
  • Alea iacta est! Libertatem aut mori!
TNT's "Legend" Series
« on: August 14, 2014, 07:11:22 AM »
OK, now how many y'all catch this last night?

Are they seriously trying to use this as propaganda/conditioning the populace to embrace more police state action in order to feeeel safe as well as promote the idea that it is mostly white right-wing radicals out to destroy this supposed enlightened and benign police state?

WTF?

We'll have to see where this series goes but so far I am not impressed with the messages being sent!
We are now where The Founders were when they faced despotism.

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I iz also makin a list. U on it pal.
Re: TNT's "Legend" Series
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2014, 12:52:53 PM »
I watched with one eye, so I didn't get that impression.  What occurred to me is that it seems to be a  TV version of the Bourne Identity.
"Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer." - Mark Twain

"Let us assume for the moment everything you say about me is true. That just makes your problem bigger, doesn't it?"

Offline AmericanPatriot

• Conservative Hero
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2014, 01:02:29 PM »
I DVRed it but haven't watched yet

Offline IronDioPriest

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I refuse to accept my civil servants as my rulers
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2014, 01:07:39 PM »
I DVRd it because wife loves Boromir/Ned Stark. Haven't watched it yet.
"A strict observance of the written laws is doubtless one of the high duties of a good citizen, but it is not the highest. The laws of necessity, of self-preservation, of saving our country when in danger, are of higher obligation. To lose our country by a scrupulous adherence to written law, would be to lose the law itself, with life, liberty, property and all those who are enjoying them with us; thus absurdly sacrificing the end to the means."

- Thomas Jefferson

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2014, 06:51:26 AM »
I watched with one eye, so I didn't get that impression.  What occurred to me is that it seems to be a  TV version of the Bourne Identity.

It may be that is the intent, but the opening backdrop (bad white guys with lots of [including illegal, of course] guns about plotting to attack a bunch of government guys and bankers) seemed to Hollywood SOP to me, maybe I am more viscerally annoyed at their biased editorializing.  But it wasn't all bad, the acting seemed good, seems a role Bean can run with and seeing Ali Larter as an exotic dancer didn't suck, she's not so hard on the eyes...for a Jersey girl.
 ;D

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2014, 03:45:21 PM »
Aha!  I thought I recognized her from "Resident Evil"!

Libs, you can take the girl out of Jersey, but you can't take the Jersey out of the girl.   ::evilbat::
"Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer." - Mark Twain

"Let us assume for the moment everything you say about me is true. That just makes your problem bigger, doesn't it?"

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2014, 06:54:06 AM »
Aha!  I thought I recognized her from "Resident Evil"!

Libs, you can take the girl out of Jersey, but you can't take the Jersey out of the girl.   ::evilbat::

I think the best Jersey girls are the ones who escape Jersey...shows they got smarts not just sass n' brass!    ;)   ::thumbsup::   :D

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2014, 02:07:17 PM »
 ::curtsy4::

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2014, 02:10:03 PM »
Ah yes, proof right thar!   ::thumbsup::

Offline AlanS

• Conservative Superhero
  • Proud Infidel
« Reply #9 on: August 18, 2014, 04:40:48 PM »
Ah yes, proof right thar!   ::thumbsup::

I learn something everyday on this site.
"Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem."

Thomas Jefferson

Offline fporretto

• Newb
  • Long Island's crazy libertarian-conservative
    • Liberty's Torch
« Reply #10 on: August 26, 2014, 03:24:27 PM »
Whatever the intent of the series (other than entertainment), it's a far cry from the book on which it's based. Essentially the only thing the producers used from the book was the general outline of the central character. Everything else is miles away from the novel, including what Martin Odum does. In the novel, he's left the CIA for moral reasons. In fact, the CIA has painted a bull's-eye on his chest.

The novel's pretty good, by the way.
This post is programming you in undetectable ways.

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #11 on: August 27, 2014, 07:24:58 AM »
Sounds like the producers should have stuck closer to the novel, thanks for the input Fran, I'll have to give the book a look!   ::thumbsup::

Offline IronDioPriest

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I refuse to accept my civil servants as my rulers
« Reply #12 on: August 27, 2014, 08:34:09 AM »
We watched the first two episodes. The first one was meh. I asked my wife about 2/3 of the way through the first episode, "Are you buying any of ths?" Her response was an immediate "no" without caveats.

We watched the second episode right after, and it was somewhat better. Enough to give it one more chance in the third episode, but that's about it.

The bad guy in the first episode was a Right-wing terrorist called "The Founding Father". Stupid. One scene in the second episode casually spoke of the "usual" terror suspects - you know, al Qaeda and domestic militants. Stupid.

The real terrorists are the "Funding Fathers" in DC, and "domestic militants" are quickly becoming the only thing that could save the country in the long-run.
"A strict observance of the written laws is doubtless one of the high duties of a good citizen, but it is not the highest. The laws of necessity, of self-preservation, of saving our country when in danger, are of higher obligation. To lose our country by a scrupulous adherence to written law, would be to lose the law itself, with life, liberty, property and all those who are enjoying them with us; thus absurdly sacrificing the end to the means."

- Thomas Jefferson

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #13 on: August 27, 2014, 08:37:38 AM »
Yup, well said IDP.   ::thumbsup::

Offline AlanS

• Conservative Superhero
  • Proud Infidel
« Reply #14 on: August 27, 2014, 12:40:17 PM »
The bad guy in the first episode was a Right-wing terrorist called "The Founding Father". Stupid. One scene in the second episode casually spoke of the "usual" terror suspects - you know, al Qaeda and domestic militants. Stupid.

Why am I NOT surprised? Given the crap coming out of Hollywierd?
"Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem."

Thomas Jefferson