Author Topic: Go the f**k to Sleep: a storybook for exhausted parents  (Read 5247 times)

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I iz also makin a list. U on it pal.
Go the f**k to Sleep: a storybook for exhausted parents
« on: April 29, 2011, 12:36:24 AM »

This is going to be my default gift for my friends who have kids.

Go the f**k To Sleep is a bedtime book for parents who live in the real world, where a few snoozing kitties and cutesy rhymes don't always send a toddler sailing off to dreamland. Honest, profane, and affectionate, Adam Mansbach's verses and Ricardo Cortés' illustrations perfectly capture the familiar--and unspoken--tribulations of putting your little angel down for the night, and open up a conversation about parenting in the process. Beautiful, subversive, and pants-wettingly funny, Go the f**k to Sleep is a perfect gift for parents new, old, or expectant. Here is a sample verse:

The cats nestle close to their kittens now.
    The lambs have laid down with the sheep.
    You're cozy and warm in your bed, my dear
    Please go the f**k to sleep.

Having had no children - but a sister for whom I was responsible in this manner, and nephews - I get it.  Some of the commenters there didn't, but this one is a jewel:

"bardfinn

Now, now, y'all don't be fussin'. Th' man's just sayin' wha' evra parent with a toddler is thinkin'.

Srsly - until you have a kid, and have memorised no fewer than five children's books and can work "Goodnight Moon" into the ending of every one, and know at exactly what angle to hold the child at while jogging your leg at exactly which frequency and exactly where to pat their butt, have donned a shirt that hasn't been washed in weeks because the child falls sleepy from the scent, or spent 45 minutes restraining a child whilst simultaneously listening to NOAA weather radio with them - because it's the only damned thing that works, you won't get the funny. After, well -- let's just say the psychotic giggling never goes away so you may as well enjoy it."

Forgot the H/T to Daphne
« Last Edit: April 29, 2011, 12:40:20 AM by Pandora »
"Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer." - Mark Twain

"Let us assume for the moment everything you say about me is true. That just makes your problem bigger, doesn't it?"

Offline michelleo

Re: Go the f**k to Sleep: a storybook for exhausted parents
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2011, 09:19:19 AM »
I get it.  It's funny.  I've been there.  But #12 in Books at Amazon?!?  In Preorder?!?

This is what happen when emotional children have children.

Offline John Florida

• Conservative Superhero
  • IT'S MY FONT AND I'LL USE IT IF I WANT TO!!
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2011, 09:36:32 AM »
I get it.  It's funny.  I've been there.  But #12 in Books at Amazon?!?  In Preorder?!?

This is what happen when emotional children have children.

Some people out there with young children are looking for answers in books when ther is an entire library out there in people that have had children. Who to know better than people that have been down that road. Twits!
All men are created equal"
 Filippo Mazzie

Offline trapeze

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • Hippies smell bad. Go away, hippie.
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2011, 03:37:53 PM »
Kid won't go to sleep? One word: Benadryl.
In a doomsday scenario, hippies will be among the first casualties. So not everything about doomsday will be bad.

Offline IronDioPriest

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I refuse to accept my civil servants as my rulers
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2011, 03:49:00 PM »
Kid won't go to sleep? One word: Benadryl.

+1  ::thumbsup::
"A strict observance of the written laws is doubtless one of the high duties of a good citizen, but it is not the highest. The laws of necessity, of self-preservation, of saving our country when in danger, are of higher obligation. To lose our country by a scrupulous adherence to written law, would be to lose the law itself, with life, liberty, property and all those who are enjoying them with us; thus absurdly sacrificing the end to the means."

- Thomas Jefferson

Offline Alphabet Soup

• Conservative Superhero
  • Hier standt ich. Ich kann nicht anders
« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2011, 03:53:37 PM »
    The cats nestle close to their kittens now.
    The lambs have laid down with the sheep.
    You're cozy and warm in your bed, my dear
    Please go the f**k to sleep.

That's catchy!

Random was a colicky kid. There were many nights when I would bundle her into the car and go on long drives because it comforted her. I can still recall a few nights falling asleep next to her crib while reaching through the bars in order to pat her on the back.

Offline BigAlSouth

• Established Member
  • Who won't 'co-exist?'
« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2011, 03:56:30 PM »
Old Family Recipe:

Nuke 'em with Nyquil

The problems we face today are there because the people who work for a living
are outnumbered by those who vote for a living.
--------------
The enemy of my enemy is my friend; the friend of my enemy is, well, he is just a dumbass.

Offline trapeze

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2011, 04:28:35 PM »
My severely hyperactive child was prescribed Benadryl for this. It's been eight years now and we have finally been able to back off of it. It's rare now that she needs to have a Benadryl in order to go to sleep. She is still on the hyperactivity meds but I can see that being dialed back, too, in another year or two.

The Benadryl, though was life changing. For me, anyway. Before it was introduced I had to lay down next to her in bed and physically restrain her (I would wrap her in my arms) for between 30 and 60 minutes before she could calm down enough to go to sleep. One or two Benadryls about two hours before bedtime and she could lay down in bed and go to sleep within a few minutes. They didn't make her sleepy (one would lay me out cold) but they got her into a condition where she could go to sleep.

Amazing stuff and it never would have occurred to me to use it if we hadn't seen a doctor. I saw the doctor, actually. I was in for my annual physical and the doc asked me about life in general and I told him what I had to do every night. He referred me/her to a psychiatrist and that was the best advice I had had in a long while. As my child bounced around the psychiatrist's office like a ball he said that she was the youngest patient that he had ever seen with this severe a case of hyperactivity. She was three years old at the time.

I used to think that the ADD/ADHD stuff was not real. I was wrong. It's very real. I still believe that ADD/ADHD is over diagnosed, that some children are put on meds that shouldn't be. But having had a severely hyperactive child of my own I can say without any doubt that there are kids out there for whom medication is the only answer. My daughter was completely and totally unable to sit still and listen to a story, watch a television show, or anything else that required even a modicum of patience.

When she got older we asked her what it was like to not be medicated. She said that it was like having thousands of voices screaming in her head...very confusing. The medication worked instantly and she was then able to have a normal life. When she is on the meds she is not dopey or goofy or drugged out, she is, instead, a normal child.

The Benadryl was the second part of the equation. It allowed her to go to sleep like a normal child. Without it she would be up until two or three in the morning every single night. Pretty hard to do well in school without proper rest.

Anyway, when anyone tells me that they have a child who won't go to sleep I recommend Benadryl without reservation. It's harmless to the child and it works.
In a doomsday scenario, hippies will be among the first casualties. So not everything about doomsday will be bad.

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2011, 04:47:30 PM »
It's only an antihistamine, so Benadryl is relatively benign.  I've been known to take a swig off the bottle myself in order to get back to sleep at 3 AM after a two-hour "nap".
"Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer." - Mark Twain

"Let us assume for the moment everything you say about me is true. That just makes your problem bigger, doesn't it?"

Offline michelleo

« Reply #9 on: May 02, 2011, 09:20:11 AM »
My 1st born was a horrible sleeper for his first year.  He'd wake up screaming every 2 hours every night.  When I would let him "cry" it out,it always ended badly.  He'd poop in his diaper and sit in it for hours, leaving a nasty diaper rash.  Or he'd figure out a way to barf all over himself (something he didn't do at any other time).  I tried simethicone (for gas). Wish I had tried benadryl.  The little stinker would only calm down by falling asleep latched onto the boob. Every two hours.  Every night.

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #10 on: May 02, 2011, 10:32:36 AM »
Something I just remembered was the Vet recommended a small syringe of children's Benadryl for the kitties pre-road trip to mildly sedate them.  Worked pretty well, too; they really don't like being stuck in the cat carriers for several hours.

It makes them drool horribly for the first few minutes, though.

Offline trapeze

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #11 on: May 02, 2011, 10:36:22 AM »
Benadryl is the active ingredient in Tylenol PM and all of the other OTC sleep inducing pain meds.