Author Topic: Precedent for State Retribution  (Read 668 times)

Offline BigAlSouth

• Established Member
  • Who won't 'co-exist?'
Precedent for State Retribution
« on: May 05, 2011, 02:00:40 PM »
Almost 40 years ago, Palestinian terrorists under the “Black September” banner murdered 11 Israeli athletes at the 1972 Olympics in Munich, Germany. Prime Minister Golda Meir set in place a secret committee charged with the task of tracking down and killing every single person involved in the Munich Massacre. The operation had some horrible failures such as the mistaken murder of a Moroccan waiter in Norway, and the deaths of 20 innocents in Lebanon.

In September 1972 during the Munich Olympics, 11 Israeli athletes were murdered by the Palestinian terrorist group Black September. The world was horrified, but in Israel, grief soon turned to anger and determination. Hard-line opposition leader Menachem Begin told the Knesset: ‘Retaliation no longer suffices. We demand a prolonged, open-ended assault against the murderers and their bases ...’ In what became known as ‘Operation Wrath of God’, prime minister Golda Meir swiftly sanctioned secret plans for exacting retribution against those who had planned the slaughter – transforming herself into judge, jury and executioner at the stroke of a pen.

A covert, fast-track bureaucratic chain was set up between Mossad, Israel’s intelligence agency, and a panel of ministers collectively called ‘Committee X’, which met to sanction each killing. Because the Israelis didn’t want to be accused of using the same methods as terrorists, a critical factor was that no one should be able to make a direct connection between the assassinations and Israel.

Cold blooded state sanctioned murder? Absolutely. Can we draw any parallels to the killing of Osama bin Laden? Si! Si puede!

Read this excellent summary of the Mossad Operation:
http://forums.canadiancontent.net/history/46726-israeli-murderous-response-munich.html

The problems we face today are there because the people who work for a living
are outnumbered by those who vote for a living.
--------------
The enemy of my enemy is my friend; the friend of my enemy is, well, he is just a dumbass.

charlesoakwood

Re: Precedent for State Retribution
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2011, 03:17:40 PM »

Howard Cosell a famous sports broacaster for ABC was in Germany on assignment for the Olympics and wrote an excellent account of the murders in his book "Cosell". Cosell begins the book writing about the 1972 Munich Olympic Games. 

IIRC one of the Israeli weight lifters took several 45s to the body while killing at least one or more of the villains.

Offline AlanS

• Conservative Superhero
  • Proud Infidel
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2011, 07:01:50 PM »
There was a movie about that subject that was very well produced, but my last, lonely brain cell is having trouble coming up with the name.
"Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem."

Thomas Jefferson

Offline IronDioPriest

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I refuse to accept my civil servants as my rulers
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2011, 10:56:09 PM »
There was a movie about that subject that was very well produced, but my last, lonely brain cell is having trouble coming up with the name.

I think you may be thinking of Spielberg's "Munich".
"A strict observance of the written laws is doubtless one of the high duties of a good citizen, but it is not the highest. The laws of necessity, of self-preservation, of saving our country when in danger, are of higher obligation. To lose our country by a scrupulous adherence to written law, would be to lose the law itself, with life, liberty, property and all those who are enjoying them with us; thus absurdly sacrificing the end to the means."

- Thomas Jefferson