Author Topic: Commentary on today's "fashions"  (Read 2578 times)

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I iz also makin a list. U on it pal.
Commentary on today's "fashions"
« on: May 11, 2011, 09:33:27 PM »

Ad seen on American Thinker page.

Because that's what I want to look like; a sloppy, dirty, drug addict.
"Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer." - Mark Twain

"Let us assume for the moment everything you say about me is true. That just makes your problem bigger, doesn't it?"

Offline Glock32

• Conservative Superhero
  • Get some!
Re: Commentary on today's "fashions"
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2011, 09:36:32 PM »
That looks like something shipwrecked people would wear, fashioned from the remnants of the sails and rigging.
"The Fourth Estate is less honorable than the First Profession."

- Yours Truly

Offline LadyVirginia

• Conservative Superhero
  • Mt. Vernon painting by Francis Jukes
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2011, 11:55:44 PM »
A lot of what is called fashion looks poorly made and as if the person doesn't care how they look.
"And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor."

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2011, 11:59:22 PM »
A lot of what is called fashion looks poorly made and as if the person doesn't care how they look.

Costing a pretty penny to look so.  How bass-ackwards.

I still have very nice, very well-tailored clothes that are older than that chickie.
"Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer." - Mark Twain

"Let us assume for the moment everything you say about me is true. That just makes your problem bigger, doesn't it?"

Offline LadyVirginia

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2011, 12:14:06 AM »

Costing a pretty penny to look so. 

I once followed one of my girls into a clothing store.  After a few minutes I asked her if she noticed none of the dresses or skirts were hemmed. I guess it saves money for the manufacturer to do it that way and the people buying don't care.
"And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor."

Offline BigAlSouth

• Established Member
  • Who won't 'co-exist?'
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2011, 03:38:33 AM »
Well, Old Navy's slogan should be
Cheap crap sold cheap!"
The problems we face today are there because the people who work for a living
are outnumbered by those who vote for a living.
--------------
The enemy of my enemy is my friend; the friend of my enemy is, well, he is just a dumbass.

Offline Sectionhand

• Conservative Hero
« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2011, 04:28:57 AM »
Whether dressing for business or leisure , my models have always been either Gary Cooper or Douglas Fairbanks Jr. Their sense of style was timeless . I never leave the house looking like a bum .

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
  • Alea iacta est! Libertatem aut mori!
« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2011, 08:04:43 AM »

::hysterical::

That urban trashed look is all the rage now, eh?!

Somebody is laughing all the way to the bank!  Probably the same clown that came up with Zubaz?

We are now where The Founders were when they faced despotism.

Offline Sectionhand

• Conservative Hero
« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2011, 08:12:00 AM »

Somebody is laughing all the way to the bank!  Probably the same clown that came up with Zubaz?

Latest Fashion from "The House of Stymie" ... ;D

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
  • Alea iacta est! Libertatem aut mori!
« Reply #9 on: May 12, 2011, 08:16:40 AM »

For that to be completed, you would need to add the left-chic Che T-shirt!
We are now where The Founders were when they faced despotism.

Online ToddF

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #10 on: May 12, 2011, 08:25:04 AM »

That and a bitchin' mullet could get you the world, in 1988 or so.  ::hysterical::

Offline Glock32

• Conservative Superhero
  • Get some!
« Reply #11 on: May 12, 2011, 11:17:19 AM »
Didn't those come as a factory option on the IROC Z28?
"The Fourth Estate is less honorable than the First Profession."

- Yours Truly

Offline Predator Don

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #12 on: May 12, 2011, 04:06:56 PM »

Pants on the ground, pants on the ground....
I'm not always engulfed in scandals, but when I am, I make sure I blame others.

Offline IronDioPriest

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I refuse to accept my civil servants as my rulers
« Reply #13 on: May 12, 2011, 11:26:28 PM »
I'm buckin' the trend here. I think the girl looks just fine. I like the whole outfit, actually.

Fashions come and go. Some stick around, some don't. The timeless always stays, and the trends usually fade.

I've never been one to put much value in clothing - at least not since I put away the leopard-skin spandex pants, elf-boots, and Aqua-Net in the late 80s.

My standard uniform for about the past 20 years is a pair of long shorts, a sleeveless T-shirt, and sneakers. The shorts come out in the Spring when the temp hits about 55 or 60º, and they get put away in the Fall when it gets down to about 45º. In between it's jeans and the same damn sleeveless Ts. If I have to spend time outside I put layers over my sleeveless Ts.

I was always a working musician, so clothing during off-hours was never a concern. I've been a freelance contractor for many years, and I've had to adjust my dress somewhat for clients, but the moment I get home...

If I have to wear sleeves or long pants when it's warmer I get annoyed. If I have to dress up for any occasion I get really annoyed. When I'm forced to wear a suit, the tie comes off at the first opportunity, the coat next, and as soon as a change of clothes becomes remotely possible, the standard uniform comes back out. At weddings, funerals, family gatherings, formal functions, etc, I look for the first sign that things are loosening up, and I excuse myself to change my clothes. Funny how when I do that, often times other people at these functions take it as their cue to do the same thing.

I dress for comfort, plain and simple. How I appear to someone else is not even a secondary concern. I find clothing more restricting than I've described to be...restricting. I don't like more fabric than necessary touching my limbs. I'm strange that way, I guess.

The girl in the photo looks comfy. And kinda cute. Different strokes, I guess.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2011, 11:29:32 PM by IronDioPriest »
"A strict observance of the written laws is doubtless one of the high duties of a good citizen, but it is not the highest. The laws of necessity, of self-preservation, of saving our country when in danger, are of higher obligation. To lose our country by a scrupulous adherence to written law, would be to lose the law itself, with life, liberty, property and all those who are enjoying them with us; thus absurdly sacrificing the end to the means."

- Thomas Jefferson

Offline trapeze

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • Hippies smell bad. Go away, hippie.
« Reply #14 on: May 12, 2011, 11:41:42 PM »
Unemployed and homeless chic. It's an Obama thing. Get used to it.
In a doomsday scenario, hippies will be among the first casualties. So not everything about doomsday will be bad.

Offline trapeze

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #15 on: May 12, 2011, 11:44:36 PM »
Kinda goes with something Rush said today:

RUSH: A story here from TIME Magazine by Erica Ho: "The kids are coming home to roost. Surprise, surprise: Thanks to a high unemployment rate for new grads, many of those with diplomas fresh off the press are making a return to Mom and Dad's place. In fact, according to a poll conducted by consulting firm Twentysomething Inc., some 85% of graduates will soon remember what Mom's cooking tastes like. Times are undeniably tough. Reports have placed the unemployment rate for the under-25 group as high as 54%. Many of these unemployed graduates are choosing to go into higher education in an attempt to wait out the job market, while others are going anywhere -- and doing anything -- for work.
In a doomsday scenario, hippies will be among the first casualties. So not everything about doomsday will be bad.

charlesoakwood

« Reply #16 on: May 13, 2011, 12:15:42 AM »

At home it matters not.  In the world, clothes are your uniform and the first if not one of the first things that establish who and what you are.
How you wear them also.   She's got no belt for the loops, the shirt is half out and she's leaning up against a dirty wall. FAIL

If I have to wear sleeves or long pants when it's warmer I get annoyed. If I have to dress up for any occasion I get really annoyed. When I'm forced to wear a suit, the tie comes off at the first opportunity, the coat next, and as soon as a change of clothes becomes remotely possible, the standard uniform comes back out.

Cabeza de Vaca, after landing in Florida, traveled the southern parts of North America for ten years with the Indians.  He wore no clothes.
For ten years he wore no clothes. He was rescued and traveled back to Spain but he hated clothes for the rest of his life.

Offline trapeze

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #17 on: May 13, 2011, 01:05:06 AM »
Reagan always wore a suit to work at the WH. Always. He never even removed the coat in the Oval Office. Not once.

I can't imagine Reagan ever being photographed like this:

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #18 on: May 13, 2011, 05:16:00 AM »
I like nice clothes.  Operative word:  nice.

I'm disgusted because I can rarely find something attractive, comfortable and age-appropriate despite money almost being no object. 

I'd give a great deal to find a pair of pants -- I'd settle for jeans, even -- that fit; ones I either didn't swim in or rose to just below the waist, at least, without creating "muffin-top".  I wouldn't be caught dead in 3/4 "capri" pants; they look ridiculous on everybody without a taper (tapering is out), bringing to mind legs-as-bell-clappers, and, as I'm already short, I'd look even shorter in them.  The pants in the ad are too short at both ends.

Shorts?  Same dilemma.

The choice for tops is as bad.  One can either go skin-tight (up-sizing resolves as ill-fitting due to cut) or ad-sloppy.

The colors suck; brown/tan/khaki or psychedelic prints.

I'm 57 years old, wearing 10 year old clothes (not that there's anything wrong with that), and my choices seem to be old-lady elastic granny pants or looking like I'm wearing my granddaughter's fashions.

Meh.

Offline LadyVirginia

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #19 on: May 13, 2011, 11:01:36 AM »
Trying finding  clothes for a 9 year old girl. There are very few stores I can find apporpriate clothes-- 9, 10, 12 year olds are dressing like they're 25 year old hookers. Dresses are even worse---can't tell you how many girls I've seen at an event that required a dress show up in strapless or spaghetti straps at 9 or 10! And girls are so not used to wearing dresses that when a dress is required they show up in something that looks like a prom dress (for a hooker!) rather than a nice, pretty dress.

::rant::