Author Topic: Yet more evidence that Liberalism is genetic  (Read 836 times)

Offline Weisshaupt

• Conservative Superhero
Yet more evidence that Liberalism is genetic
« on: May 26, 2011, 05:04:15 PM »
Frugality is Genetic

Liberals are always telling us to cut down/cut back on consumption - but my liberal neighbor, without fail, always has 2X the trash I do on trash day.

Offline LadyVirginia

• Conservative Superhero
  • Mt. Vernon painting by Francis Jukes
Re: Yet more evidence that Liberalism is genetic
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2011, 06:05:10 PM »
Meh.

So overextending on credit cards is genetic and can't be helped. 
"And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor."

Offline Weisshaupt

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2011, 06:09:01 PM »

The beatings will continue till the genome is improved.
Actually the article asserts its a predisposition, just like you might be genetically predisposed to alcoholism.  That doesn't mean you can't control it.  It does mean you have to want to. And why would I want to when I can always get someone to bail me out?

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I iz also makin a list. U on it pal.
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2011, 06:21:14 PM »

The beatings will continue till the genome is improved.

Bwahah.

Actually the article asserts its a predisposition, just like you might be genetically predisposed to alcoholism.  That doesn't mean you can't control it.  It does mean you have to want to. And why would I want to when I can always get someone to bail me out?

And goes on to tie frugality, as is now defined by enviro-consciousness, to morality:

“Consumerism probably reflects the moral nature of contemporary existence as much as any other widespread moral practice; significant change here would therefore require no minor adjustment to our way of life, but the transformation of our entire civilization.”

As I read it, it's not so much how much one consumes, but how and of what.

I found this amusing, as well:

"... some of the cheapest people I know have the most money ...".

Well.  Duh.  Shades of "The Millionaire Next Door", long before "frugal" was trendy.
"Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer." - Mark Twain

"Let us assume for the moment everything you say about me is true. That just makes your problem bigger, doesn't it?"