Author Topic: History Quiz  (Read 2367 times)

Offline rustybayonet

• Established Member
History Quiz
« on: October 21, 2019, 08:38:17 PM »
While recouping from surgery about the only thing I could do was read [darn !]  A lot of history and some sorts and fiction.

Here's some history quiz.

These three all have something in common - do you know what it is ?   John Paulding
                                                                                                      Isaac Van Mart
                                                                                                      Danid Williams

Second question;  These three also have something in common - can you name what it is ?     William Brown
                                                                                                                                       Elijah Churchill
                                                                                                                                       Daniel Bissell
Strangely the first two in the 2nd question also have another thing in common with the each other.
All gave some -- Some gave all    Humbled to be one of the 33 original members of the Coast Guard Honor Guard, started in 1962.
 Today is the Tomorrow, we worried about Yesterday

Offline AlanS

• Conservative Superhero
  • Proud Infidel
Re: History Quiz
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2019, 04:18:15 AM »

Second question;  These three also have something in common - can you name what it is ?     William Brown
                                                                                                                                       Elijah Churchill
                                                                                                                                       Daniel Bissell

They all slept with Kamala Harris?
"Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem."

Thomas Jefferson

Offline rustybayonet

• Established Member
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2019, 06:16:11 AM »

Elijah Churchill
                                                                                                                                       Daniel Bissell

They all slept with Kamala Harris?
Don't think anyone could sink that low  ::puke::
All gave some -- Some gave all    Humbled to be one of the 33 original members of the Coast Guard Honor Guard, started in 1962.

Online Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
  • Alea iacta est! Libertatem aut mori!
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2019, 07:31:48 AM »
Heh.

Churchill underlined is adding emphasis for reasons which may or may not be obvious.

I have to admit you picked some obscure fellows with whom I am not immediately familiar...my first instinct was "inventors" and followed by "bastard sons of famous men".
We are now where The Founders were when they faced despotism.

Offline rustybayonet

• Established Member
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2019, 10:23:55 AM »
First quiz -- the soldiers that captured John Andre' the British Major recruiting Benedict Arnold.
Second quiz -- the only three to be presented the Badge of Military Merit by Gen. George Washington.  The first two got it on May 3, 1783 and the last on June 10, 1783.  The award was considered the first military award, discontinued after the war  then in 1932 authorized by the War Department as the Purple Heart.

Note; Tried to give more information, but it was to long so wouldn't post.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2019, 10:41:55 AM by rustybayonet »

Online Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2019, 11:57:23 AM »
I wasn't even close!   ;D

But yeah...I do recall the design of the PH being modeled on a original from those days.  And the MOH has had a messy past too, not the least being the over-use of the term/medal during the Civil War IIRC.

Offline rustybayonet

• Established Member
« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2019, 09:45:30 AM »
Moving to another part of history.

What was the "Forgotten Conflict" of the War of 1812 ?

Online Syzygy

« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2019, 11:49:39 AM »
Moving to another part of history.

What was the "Forgotten Conflict" of the War of 1812 ?

The battle of Fort Detroit?   ::whatgives::

Online Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #8 on: November 08, 2019, 12:36:38 PM »
Battle of New Orleans?

Offline rustybayonet

• Established Member
« Reply #9 on: November 08, 2019, 01:43:22 PM »
Both good guesses, but those were both battles in a somewhat 'forgotten or overlooked war'.  I worded it as seen and it is according to history only a conflict, so histories answer is the first blood spilled in the War of 1812 was the Riots in Baltimore between citizens both supporting the war and those still sympathetic to Britain and Ireland.

PS - Have [another] book coming - Searching for the 'Forgotten War of 1812 in the United States.  by Patrick R. Cartens and Timothy L. Sanford.
« Last Edit: November 08, 2019, 04:22:46 PM by rustybayonet »

Online Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #10 on: November 10, 2019, 12:40:34 PM »
Ahh....ya got us Rusty...there were things violent but not always lethal before this, though those victimized by British impressment may have a case...but the riots were in June of 1812...there two notable  events before that...the Leopard attack on the Chesapeake (4 killed) June 1807, Tippecanoe (62 dead) November 1811 and in the same month and year of the riots was the President vs. Belvidera battle but I believe all fatalities were British in that engagement.  The British armed the indians and raids on Americans increased over 1810 and 1811.  Americans were split...NE and Federalist largely wanting to avoid a fight, but not for being secret loyalists as the radical Republicans accused but because most intelligent men knew we were in no shape to take on Britain in another fight...though the navy-loathing Republicans did benefit greatly from what naval assets were created by Adams and which Jefferson himself made good use of against the Barbary Pirates...and the Democrat-Republican South itching for a fight, and if not for most of Britain's forces fighting Napoleon the outcome could have been different.  Mr. Madison's War saw our capitol burned and looted...and it gave us the first democrat tyrant - Jackson, the latter in my opinion was more injurious to the Republic.

Offline rustybayonet

• Established Member
« Reply #11 on: November 10, 2019, 04:33:55 PM »
Ahh....ya got us Rusty...there were things violent but not always lethal before this, though those victimized by British impressment may have a case...but the riots were in June of 1812...there two notable  events before that...the Leopard attack on the Chesapeake (4 killed) June 1807, Tippecanoe (62 dead) November 1811 and in the same month and year of the riots was the President vs. Belvidera battle but I believe all fatalities were British in that engagement.  The British armed the indians and raids on Americans increased over 1810 and 1811.  Americans were split...NE and Federalist largely wanting to avoid a fight, but not for being secret loyalists as the radical Republicans accused but because most intelligent men knew we were in no shape to take on Britain in another fight...though the navy-loathing Republicans did benefit greatly from what naval assets were created by Adams and which Jefferson himself made good use of against the Barbary Pirates...and the Democrat-Republican South itching for a fight, and if not for most of Britain's forces fighting Napoleon the outcome could have been different.  Mr. Madison's War saw our capitol burned and looted...and it gave us the first democrat tyrant - Jackson, the latter in my opinion was more injurious to the Republic.

Right  you are,  the only reason the Baltimore riots are mentioned and given credit as the 1st, they went from after the war was officially declared on 18 June 1812 until August 1812 [no date given].
« Last Edit: November 10, 2019, 05:03:43 PM by rustybayonet »

Online Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #12 on: November 11, 2019, 07:22:52 AM »

Right  you are,  the only reason the Baltimore riots are mentioned and given credit as the 1st, they went from after the war was officially declared on 18 June 1812 until August 1812 [no date given].

Same for the Revolution...the intolerable acts, Boston Massacre...most common people think 1776 but that was simply the Declaration and the official birth date of the nation...Lexington & Concord April 19, 1775 is recognized as the official start to hostilities.  But Americans were bred with Liberty in their DNA from the start...it merely took several generations to percolate, mature and be challenged by oppression.

Offline rustybayonet

• Established Member
« Reply #13 on: November 11, 2019, 04:56:44 PM »
Same for the Revolution...the intolerable acts, Boston Massacre...most common people think 1776 but that was simply the Declaration and the official birth date of the nation...Lexington & Concord April 19, 1775 is recognized as the official start to hostilities.  But Americans were bred with Liberty in their DNA from the start...it merely took several generations to percolate, mature and be challenged by oppression.

That's why doing this yearly project is taking me forever, I keep finding more.

One example;  The Crown in Britain was so upside down from all the years they had keeping their territories all around the world together, that was one of the reasons they tried to levy all the taxes {i.e.} Stamp Act etc ,on the colonies [US].  Well even after we won they couldn't let it go - causing them to try increasing tariffs on us, to pay some of their bills,  which we retaliated by increasing ours for the same reasons - until both sides hit the breaking point by 1812.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2019, 04:59:53 PM by rustybayonet »

Online Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #14 on: November 12, 2019, 11:41:13 AM »
Money, land & power...oh my!  The reasons are always the same when you throw out the BS.

That's why doing this yearly project is taking me forever, I keep finding more.

Good, then it means you are also doing it correctly.   ::thumbsup::