Author Topic: Administration blocks restart of massive oil pipeline, citing leaks  (Read 2012 times)

Offline rickl

• Established Member
The Obama administration said Friday that a massive pipeline carrying oil across much of the United States must remain shut down until federal regulators are satisfied that it can operate without future leaks.

TransCanada’s Keystone pipeline leaked twice last month, fueling opposition to a pending expansion of the project, which is undergoing a wide-ranging federal review.

The Department of Transportation’s Pipeline and Hazardous Materials Safety Administration (PHMSA) issued a “corrective action order” Friday informing TransCanada that it must take a series of steps before resuming normal operations at the pipeline, which runs from Canada to Oklahoma.
“After evaluating the foregoing preliminary findings of fact, I find that the continued operation of the pipeline without corrective measures would be hazardous to life, property and the environment,” Jeffrey Wiese, PHMSA’s associate administrator for pipeline safety, said in the order.

PHMSA is mandating that TransCanada provide a detailed “restart plan,” conduct “mechanical and metallurgical” testing, and analyze the pipeline components that failed last month.

In addition, the order instructs TransCanada to conduct a review of its entire pipeline system within 60 days, among other things.

The order comes at a politically sensitive time for TransCanada. The company is seeking federal approval to expand its Keystone pipeline to carry Canadian oil sands from Alberta to Texas.

The rest.  Hat tip Instapundit.
We are so far past and beyond the “long train of abuses and usurpations” that the Colonists and Founders experienced and which necessitated the Revolutionary War that they aren’t even visible in the rear-view mirror.
~ Ann Barnhardt

charlesoakwood

Re: Administration blocks restart of massive oil pipeline, citing leaks
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2011, 11:46:43 AM »

Another step by the Obama administration to shut down oil in the USA.

Texas refines about 30% and Louisiana and equal or better amount of oil.  And according to the U.S. Energy Information Administration: "The top five sources of US crude oil imports for March were Canada (2,151 thousand barrels per day)...", shutting down that pipe will choke that off.

This could be another one of the administration's extortion ploys.  Inspecting a pipe line from Alberta to Oklahoma in 60 days, that's unimaginable, not only the time and equipment but the manpower, it would be cheaper to pay him off.

Offline John Florida

• Conservative Superhero
  • IT'S MY FONT AND I'LL USE IT IF I WANT TO!!
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2011, 11:47:13 AM »
 OH yes we need politicians inspecting pipeline.
All men are created equal"
 Filippo Mazzie

Offline trapeze

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • Hippies smell bad. Go away, hippie.
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2011, 12:30:30 PM »
Looks like a coordinated attack. Homeland Security should look into it.
In a doomsday scenario, hippies will be among the first casualties. So not everything about doomsday will be bad.

Offline John Florida

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2011, 01:04:17 PM »
Looks like a coordinated attack. Homeland Security should look into it.

Sure and don't forget to call justice Dept. too.
 Filippo Mazzie

charlesoakwood

Offline Sectionhand

• Conservative Hero
« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2011, 03:21:42 PM »
That's okay . This and other stupid moves are ensuring that the lid will be securely nailed shut on his coffin in 2012 .

Offline John Florida

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2011, 09:32:51 PM »
That's okay . This and other stupid moves are ensuring that the lid will be securely nailed shut on his coffin in 2012 .

Your keyboard to Gods eyes.
 Filippo Mazzie

Offline Sectionhand

• Conservative Hero
« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2011, 04:42:00 AM »

Your keyboard to Gods eyes.

One can hope .

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
  • Alea iacta est! Libertatem aut mori!
« Reply #9 on: June 06, 2011, 06:50:53 AM »
Obama is such a comie punk turd!  I guess he feels if he can put the squeeze on oil he can get a two-fer: shore up his miserable base and drive up gas prices some more so people forget about all the unemployed and the dismal economy...just point them at the oil companies and the the phony baloney blame game begin!

What a fvckstick!

I'm guessing more and more people are seeing through the thin veneer and seeing the angry petulant boy-tyrant beneath so his stunts will run out of gas and he'll be the one without a chair once the music stops!
We are now where The Founders were when they faced despotism.

Offline rickl

• Established Member
« Reply #10 on: June 06, 2011, 06:51:08 PM »
Obama is such a comie punk turd!  I guess he feels if he can put the squeeze on oil he can get a two-fer: shore up his miserable base and drive up gas prices some more so people forget about all the unemployed and the dismal economy...just point them at the oil companies and the the phony baloney blame game begin!

I've always thought that one of his long-term goals is to nationalize the oil companies.  This could be a means to that end.  Drive up prices and then demonize oil "profiteers".  Classic Commie tactics.
We are so far past and beyond the “long train of abuses and usurpations” that the Colonists and Founders experienced and which necessitated the Revolutionary War that they aren’t even visible in the rear-view mirror.
~ Ann Barnhardt

Offline Glock32

• Conservative Superhero
  • Get some!
« Reply #11 on: June 06, 2011, 08:11:08 PM »
Yes, I think that's their MO in general. Make it impossible for private industry to keep its head above water due to byzantine regulations, and if they try to compensate by raising their prices, then demonize for them that. Both avenues -- the regulation-out-of-existence of the failures, and the demonization of the successes -- provide a pretext for nationalization, usually with some rationalization like "we live in a complex, highly technical society where the resources of a single private entity are quite simply no longer enough; only the state can properly meet these demands. We've made an honest effort at doing things the old way, but that only resulted in price gouging and fleecing of the consumer." i.e., it's all in the name of proggggg-ress.
"The Fourth Estate is less honorable than the First Profession."

- Yours Truly