Author Topic: Neal Peart  (Read 1494 times)

Online ToddF

• Conservative Superhero
Neal Peart
« on: January 10, 2020, 04:19:16 PM »
https://www.tmz.com/2020/01/10/neil-peart-dead-dies-brain-cancer-rush-drummer/

Although he was led a little bit to the dark side in recent years, he penned some of the greatest libertarian songs of all time.  From Anthem to 2112 to The Trees. 

And he was a pretty good drummer, also.  RIP to one of the all time greats.

:'(

Offline Alphabet Soup

• Conservative Superhero
  • Hier standt ich. Ich kann nicht anders
Re: Neal Peart
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2020, 08:41:36 PM »
Sorry to hear of this.

All the members of Rush were virtuoso musicians - I say this even though I'm not a fan (the vocalist drove me nutz!).

Rest in peace Neil.

Online IronDioPriest

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I refuse to accept my civil servants as my rulers
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2020, 03:08:18 AM »
It’s tough to overstate how important Peart was to rock n roll. His name was like a touchstone. Everyone acknowledged him as the best to ever do it. Not just drummers... all rock musicians. List the best rock drummers you can think of, every last one of them would place Neil Peart on a pedestal as the one player they all aspire to be like.
"A strict observance of the written laws is doubtless one of the high duties of a good citizen, but it is not the highest. The laws of necessity, of self-preservation, of saving our country when in danger, are of higher obligation. To lose our country by a scrupulous adherence to written law, would be to lose the law itself, with life, liberty, property and all those who are enjoying them with us; thus absurdly sacrificing the end to the means."

- Thomas Jefferson

Online Pablo de Fleurs

• Conservative Hero
  • @PesoNeto3
    • Apologetics Workshop
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2020, 09:49:57 AM »
There's a whole 'nuther side of the rock world of which I'm unaware.

Most folks identify with what was popular from 8th through 12 grades (as high school reunions bear out). I didn't start listening to music seriously until my junior year in high school - and started out with Jazz (Miles Davis, Dizzie Gillespie, Dexter Gordon, Charles Mingus, etc). From there is was David Bowie, Adrian Belew, Robert Fripp (more for his Ambient than prog-rock sound) and Brian Eno. In-between, to dance with the girls in college, it was The Cars, Devo, Elvis Costello, Tom Petty (when he had his early Punk edge), Van Halen, The Psychedelic Furs, Peter Gabriel (but not Genesis), Eddie Money, the Talking Heads & a little REM. I avoided the Journey/Rush/Styx/ELP & Heavy Metal bands like the plague.
Now it's mostly ECM (European Jazz: Nik Baertsch's Ronin) & experimental Ambient (12k Records) - as my Mixcloud page will attest.

Unless he was posted in this thread - I'd have never known of Neal Peart (I looked up his "best of" on You Tube - impressive!).

RIP, Mr. Peart.
2 Timothy 1:7
For God did not give us a spirit of timidity, but of power & of love and of calm, a well-balanced mind, discipline and self-control.

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
  • Alea iacta est! Libertatem aut mori!
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2020, 11:51:09 AM »
I was raised on hard rock.

First drum solo in a song I recall liking was Ron Bushy's a third the way in on Iron Butterfly's Inna Gadda Da Vida...but I was young and it was basic and primal so...but Neal was born to drums like Stevie Ray was to an electric guitar or Stanley Clarke to an electric bass guitar...the sheer number of items for Neal to bang on and have fun with and do it well, pretty staggering...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LWRMOJQDiLU

Not just anybody can do something and do it extremely well.

R.I.P.
We are now where The Founders were when they faced despotism.

Offline Alphabet Soup

• Conservative Superhero
  • Hier standt ich. Ich kann nicht anders
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2020, 02:46:29 PM »
It’s tough to overstate how important Peart was to rock n roll. His name was like a touchstone. Everyone acknowledged him as the best to ever do it. Not just drummers... all rock musicians. List the best rock drummers you can think of, every last one of them would place Neil Peart on a pedestal as the one player they all aspire to be like.

And that pedestal would most likely be a rotating one!

Online ToddF

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2020, 05:59:38 PM »
Unless he was posted in this thread - I'd have never known of Neal Peart

I can see not knowing the more libertarian songs, such as those I listed, but never something like Tom Sawyer?  That's something that has permeated all levels of our culture.

Online Pablo de Fleurs

• Conservative Hero
  • @PesoNeto3
    • Apologetics Workshop
« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2020, 07:26:54 PM »

I can see not knowing the more libertarian songs, such as those I listed, but never something like Tom Sawyer?  That's something that has permeated all levels of our culture.

I’ve certainly heard of the band & have heard those songs (wouldn’t have been able to tell you which band sang which song, as I could with, say, The Rolling Stones, Led Zeppelin or The Who) - it’s just that I never heard the drummer’s name. I’m familiar with Tom Sawyer, but now that you mention it - I think the singer’s voice sounds a bit Munchkin-like.
2 Timothy 1:7
For God did not give us a spirit of timidity, but of power & of love and of calm, a well-balanced mind, discipline and self-control.

Online ToddF

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2020, 07:23:00 AM »

I’ve certainly heard of the band & have heard those songs (wouldn’t have been able to tell you which band sang which song, as I could with, say, The Rolling Stones, Led Zeppelin or The Who) - it’s just that I never heard the drummer’s name. I’m familiar with Tom Sawyer, but now that you mention it - I think the singer’s voice sounds a bit Munchkin-like.

You should have heard him a few years before that.  Rolling Stone described his voice as a cross between Robert Plant and Donald Duck.   ::hysterical::  I can't argue with that. 

Offline John Florida

• Conservative Superhero
  • IT'S MY FONT AND I'LL USE IT IF I WANT TO!!
« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2020, 08:30:11 PM »
  All this means to me is that our heroes are getting old  and we should keep in mind that so are we.
All men are created equal"
 Filippo Mazzie

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
  • Alea iacta est! Libertatem aut mori!
« Reply #10 on: January 13, 2020, 06:38:08 AM »
No more reminders needed thank you all very much.
We are now where The Founders were when they faced despotism.

Offline AlanS

• Conservative Superhero
  • Proud Infidel
« Reply #11 on: January 14, 2020, 10:27:55 AM »
  All this means to me is that our heroes are getting old  and we should keep in mind that so are we.

Aaaaarrrrrgggghhhh!

Do we have to?
"Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem."

Thomas Jefferson

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I iz also makin a list. U on it pal.
« Reply #12 on: January 14, 2020, 04:57:47 PM »

Aaaaarrrrrgggghhhh!

Do we have to?

No.  Thinkin' about it does nuthin good fer no body.  Just go about yer business; if the Lord thinks you need a reminder, He'll let you know.
"Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer." - Mark Twain

"Let us assume for the moment everything you say about me is true. That just makes your problem bigger, doesn't it?"