Author Topic: Not to push the panic button but  (Read 3007 times)

Offline John Florida

• Conservative Superhero
  • IT'S MY FONT AND I'LL USE IT IF I WANT TO!!
Not to push the panic button but
« on: February 29, 2020, 07:46:30 PM »
   I just got back from a baby 1st birthday party and was talking to the father. He's Mexican and he told me that friends of theirs that are truckers were told at the port they haul out of to make as many runs as they can cause the east coast ports are closing in the 2 weeks.  If true that's a major problem for all of us.
All men are created equal"
 Filippo Mazzie

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I iz also makin a list. U on it pal.
Re: Not to push the panic button but
« Reply #1 on: February 29, 2020, 11:43:55 PM »
Get your shopping done now and then stop.  Stay home, at least until we have a more definite idea of what's what.  It's said the incubation period can be up to three weeks so there is no need to have someone cough on you right now, all they need to do is exhale on you or in your vicinity.

Don't mean to panic anyone either.  Most of us are not young ...... enough ......   Better to be safe.  A 50 year-old was reported dead today from Coronavirus in Washington; he had prior health issues though, but it's the U.S.' first death.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2020, 12:00:35 AM by Pandora »
"Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer." - Mark Twain

"Let us assume for the moment everything you say about me is true. That just makes your problem bigger, doesn't it?"

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
  • Alea iacta est! Libertatem aut mori!
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2020, 09:21:51 AM »
Prudence dictates altering behavior from the norm where it makes sense...though, not to cause a panic...like Pan says doesn't take much to pass/catch a virus...short of hermetically isolating yourself nothing is 100% avoidable.
We are now where The Founders were when they faced despotism.

Offline John Florida

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2020, 09:42:12 AM »
  I'm looking at it just as an availability aspect.  I'm fairly well covered but I still look for buys to jump on.
 Filippo Mazzie

Offline Alphabet Soup

• Conservative Superhero
  • Hier standt ich. Ich kann nicht anders
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2020, 04:03:57 PM »
Get your shopping done now and then stop.  Stay home, at least until we have a more definite idea of what's what.  It's said the incubation period can be up to three weeks so there is no need to have someone cough on you right now, all they need to do is exhale on you or in your vicinity.

Don't mean to panic anyone either.  Most of us are not young ...... enough ......   Better to be safe.  A 50 year-old was reported dead today from Coronavirus in Washington; he had prior health issues though, but it's the U.S.' first death.

No - it wasn't me!

I echo your common-sense advice. What concerns me is that the economy is taking a hit and it's gonna be expensive...

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2020, 04:18:42 PM »
Not to be Johnny Raincloud...but a lot of our prescription drug manufacturing got out-sourced...China I believe is where we get pretty much get all of our antibiotics from...

::facepalm::

« Last Edit: March 10, 2020, 07:21:33 AM by Libertas »

Offline IronDioPriest

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I refuse to accept my civil servants as my rulers
« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2020, 05:40:41 PM »
The three of us are scheduled to fly to Florida to visit friends over spring break... I’m really praying that events over the next several days show this to be less than the fear-mongers in the media are selling it to be.
"A strict observance of the written laws is doubtless one of the high duties of a good citizen, but it is not the highest. The laws of necessity, of self-preservation, of saving our country when in danger, are of higher obligation. To lose our country by a scrupulous adherence to written law, would be to lose the law itself, with life, liberty, property and all those who are enjoying them with us; thus absurdly sacrificing the end to the means."

- Thomas Jefferson

Offline AlanS

• Conservative Superhero
  • Proud Infidel
« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2020, 12:02:26 PM »
... I’m really praying that events over the next several days show this to be less than the fear-mongers in the media are selling it to be.

It is. The media has hyped it waaaaay out of proportion.

Influenza is the threat, but the media doesn't want to say it because it's way too common.
"Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem."

Thomas Jefferson

Online WilliamVA

« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2020, 02:54:06 PM »
... I’m really praying that events over the next several days show this to be less than the fear-mongers in the media are selling it to be.

Influenza is the threat, but the media doesn't want to say it because it's way too common.

Influenza has alway been the threat, the variations today are all in the H1n1 family (spanish/swine flu) family.  Before this became a media panic
we were reminded that corona virus has been about for a while, heck it has 19 versions.  Anybody remember getting ye ole chest cold/with mild fever back a couple decades ago?  uh huh ye ole corona virus. 

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2020, 10:29:52 PM »
Moving thread to "Science, Technology, & Medicine" category.
"Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer." - Mark Twain

"Let us assume for the moment everything you say about me is true. That just makes your problem bigger, doesn't it?"

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #10 on: March 09, 2020, 06:31:32 AM »

Influenza has alway been the threat, the variations today are all in the H1n1 family (spanish/swine flu) family.  Before this became a media panic
we were reminded that corona virus has been about for a while, heck it has 19 versions.  Anybody remember getting ye ole chest cold/with mild fever back a couple decades ago?  uh huh ye ole corona virus.

Yup, the young without a buildup of immunity and the elderly especially with health issues and anybody with immune issues of any age always at risk.

Spanish flu wiped out how many?

Offline John Florida

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #11 on: March 09, 2020, 06:17:23 PM »
 After shopping yesterday I have to ask how much toilet paper is enough??  Holy cats carts just full of it?
 Filippo Mazzie

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #12 on: March 09, 2020, 09:48:09 PM »
Second tested and verified Wuhan patient is from our county.

Offline John Florida

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #13 on: March 09, 2020, 09:50:57 PM »
Second tested and verified Wuhan patient is from our county.

I heard I wish they would name the town/city it was in.
 Filippo Mazzie

Online ToddF

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #14 on: March 10, 2020, 05:41:29 AM »
 ::unknowncomic::

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #15 on: March 10, 2020, 06:43:24 AM »
::unknowncomic::

Gotta love it 'cause ain't it the truth.

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #16 on: March 10, 2020, 07:05:32 AM »
Heh!

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #17 on: March 10, 2020, 07:21:43 AM »
Not to be Johnny Raincloud...but a lot of our prescription drug manufacturing got out-sourced...China I believe is where we get pretty much get all of our antibiotics from...

::facepalm::

Updated for late to the party ass-head -

https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/news/we-gave-away-these-industries-marco-rubio-warns-of-risk-posed-by-china-nearly-controlling-antibiotics-market

Sure, now you're worried.

Dick!

Offline John Florida

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #18 on: March 10, 2020, 02:22:28 PM »
 North Carolina declares state of emergency. 

https://www.bing.com/search?q=north+carolina+coronavirus&form=EDNTHT&refig=ed6ceb23dc9440da916b9f31abe4cdbf&mkt=en-us&msnews=1&sp=2&qs=FT&pq=north+carolin&sk=PRES1LS1&sc=8-13&cvid=ed6ceb23dc9440da916b9f31abe4cdbf&cc=US&setlang=en-US

Gov. Roy Cooper has declared a state of emergency after five more North Carolinians tested positive for the novel coronavirus, bringing the number of cases in the state to seven. Here's what we know:

Filippo Mazzie

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #19 on: March 10, 2020, 03:21:45 PM »
https://www.ctpost.com/news/article/N-Carolina-governor-declares-emergency-to-combat-15120546.php

Fortunately, having a state of emergency declared no longer means concealed carry is prohibited as it was in Beverly Purdue's day.