Author Topic: Volcano & Earthquake Watch  (Read 1198 times)

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
  • Alea iacta est! Libertatem aut mori!
Volcano & Earthquake Watch
« on: August 31, 2020, 09:04:30 AM »
I like tracking earthquakes and volcanoes.

Yellowstone has been more active, Goddess geyser popping off...magma believed to be just 6 city blocks below ground.  Quakes rocking the Ring of Fire from Indonesia to Japan, Alaska, US, Mexico, Central and South America...

And this Fuego volcano in Guatemala has been a fountain for a a few weeks now...watched this live feed last night for a bit...hot lava showing up more dramatically at night...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yJHUKaJqu20

Not as dramatic as Sinabung going off...or Aso when it goes again...but it is interesting to see it spit sputter and spew.

For earthquakes I check in on this guy, gotta take his quirks in stride though his rants with experts (USGS) are hilarious...especially when the USGS downgrades an earthquake 3 times during one of his broadcasts...but basically his direction flow of plates and energy seems to fairly reliable.

https://www.youtube.com/user/dutchsinse

For Yellowstone I like to check out Mary Greeley, goes into charts for the different reporting stations, showing the gasses and heat (melt) coming up.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCpPGJXgbwBmkIp291W0PCMw
We are now where The Founders were when they faced despotism.

Online paulh

• Established Member
Re: Volcano & Earthquake Watch
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2020, 12:49:42 PM »
Wife has something on her smart phone that gives her alerts. Me, I have a dumb phone and don't care

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2020, 01:08:37 PM »
Ya, I got Earthquake 3D on mine.

Offline Alphabet Soup

• Conservative Superhero
  • Hier standt ich. Ich kann nicht anders
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2020, 10:52:27 PM »

I'll take a look at it. Cuz I got both in my neighborhood (volcanoes and earthquakes).

:o

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2020, 08:02:44 AM »

I'll take a look at it. Cuz I got both in my neighborhood (volcanoes and earthquakes).

:o

Yeah...if you tune into one of Dutch's broadcasts you will hear him go off on the USGS about hiding quakes in Washingotn & Oregon...cause so little is ever reported in those two states...the Juan de Fuca fracture zone is right off the coast...and if you go to the tremor site of USGS they do show swarms of tremors inland...but few quakes.  It's also funny when they do report a quake...you follow the link and it says "explosion"...and you go to Google Earth and no mining op, so unless a local bubba is having fun in the backyard...maybe it wasn't an explosion.

The free version of 3D does have ads...I dunno, still playing with it to see if I want to go pay version or not.  Being in MN/WI no quake threat here...but if a volcano goes off we are down wind for ash...

ETA - Oh man...looks like WA is a high inbound state...

https://www.zerohedge.com/economics/new-jersey-becoming-most-hated-state-households-flee-record-numbers

Is there a locust alert app?   ::facepalm::
« Last Edit: September 01, 2020, 08:14:14 AM by Libertas »

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I iz also makin a list. U on it pal.
« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2020, 09:56:07 AM »
There oughta be.  I shout "go home!" at parked cars with Jersey plates.  'Course, they're mostly without people in 'em so no fights are started, but it makes me feel better to do it.
"Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer." - Mark Twain

"Let us assume for the moment everything you say about me is true. That just makes your problem bigger, doesn't it?"

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2020, 10:09:26 AM »
I hear ya...I see plates from California or Illinois and I'm like "%$#&ing hell, not more of this %$#@!"...

::)

But I suppose it isn't always universally bad...could be some decent people escaping...if I traveled down south via auto and folks saw my Minnie plates they'd probably swear too...till they maybe see me exit the vehicle...

;D

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2020, 01:57:04 PM »
7.5 in Alaska the other day still rippling out...nothing large yet rolling out...

But I see Etna is having another tantrum today...

Out my window is just snow...guess it could be worse...   ::snoshovel::

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2021, 09:34:30 AM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YeoRx59dZkc

Fuego has been my favorite volcano to watch, very regular and classic activity...especially at night when the hot lava is so much more visible...

But this Krysuvik activity in iIceland is kinda neat too...such a dainty little thing compared to other systems...and people getting close to it, I mean yeah I get it, kinda neat to be close to new earth being formed, and yeah this little bugger isn't acting violent and the slow flow of lava marching toward the sea is neat...but what if that thing is suckering folks in close?  I recall I think it was White Island NZ where sightseers ashore got nailed with a pyroclastic flow...a much larger and more dangerous volcano...but like the sea once you treat her too casually she'll smack ya!