Author Topic: Normalcy Bias ( A curmudgeonly rant)  (Read 663 times)

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I iz also makin a list. U on it pal.
Re: Normalcy Bias ( A curmudgeonly rant)
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2021, 10:09:10 AM »
Normalcy bias deserted me some time ago.  Or maybe I deserted *it*.  I suspect it was when I began seeing ads for companies selling masks and I thought, uh oh, this is not good; masks have become some people's rice bowls.
"Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer." - Mark Twain

"Let us assume for the moment everything you say about me is true. That just makes your problem bigger, doesn't it?"

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2021, 10:29:28 AM »
Btw, since I've been reminded of the presence of Adaptive Curmudgeon, there is this:

Adaptive Curmudgeon says:   
February 22, 2014 at 11:04 am

Status report. The combination of a kaput truck and decaf has shocked my system. On hour four I went beserk. I’ve taken hostages and issued a list of demands. I demand the enigineers responsible be put in a volcano and Chrysler be disbanded and sold in pieces as a lawn tractor company. I’ve killed and eaten the hipsters. Everyone else is getting Curmudgeon language lessons in the words “small”, “medium”, and “large”. Those who utter “venti” are set on fire. Wolves are prowing at the doors. My mechanic is trying to calm me down. There is no bacon in a Starbucks! We’re all doomed!

... to which I can relate (bolded), exchanging Chrysler for Walmart, every time any Karen in that establishment utters the word MASK.
"Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer." - Mark Twain

"Let us assume for the moment everything you say about me is true. That just makes your problem bigger, doesn't it?"

Offline Pablo de Fleurs

• Conservative Hero
  • @PesoNeto3
    • Apologetics Workshop
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2021, 01:07:38 PM »
Normalcy bias deserted me some time ago.  Or maybe I deserted *it*.  I suspect it was when I began seeing ads for companies selling masks and I thought, uh oh, this is not good; masks have become some people's rice bowls.

Yes. Seeing ads like "Have you seen this new Israeli/Hawaiian/German/European/Casual/Everyday mask that's taking the world by storm...?" make me want to shoot the monitor.
2 Timothy 1:7
For God did not give us a spirit of timidity, but of power & of love and of calm, a well-balanced mind, discipline and self-control.

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2021, 01:27:13 PM »
A sow of a Karen swept by my husband yesterday in the home improvement store and told him (as if he needed to be told) to 'you have on no mask, sir'.  He just said 'so?!' pretty loudly.  Me:  blood pressure UP!

Online Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
  • Alea iacta est! Libertatem aut mori!
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2021, 08:27:36 AM »
Two things...

First, I hate reading stuff in italics and underlined...drives my eyes buggy!!!

Second, normalcy bias...is itself biased...why does it have the misleading version of normal in it when normal was beaten out of people with their own hands?  Should be more like suicidal bias. 

Lastly, don't care...the purposely ignorant will die...heck they're already half-way there by choice...   ::mooning::
We are now where The Founders were when they faced despotism.