Author Topic: Tips for Not Appearing Crazy on the Internet  (Read 715 times)

Offline rickl

• Established Member
Tips for Not Appearing Crazy on the Internet
« on: June 12, 2011, 08:26:29 AM »
Do crazy people have a right to be heard? I think they do — as long as they’re American. But even with crazy people’s well known infiltration of the internet — appearing in any blog or news comments section or online forum they can access — they still have a lot of trouble getting people to listen to them.

In a recent column, I touched on the topic of conspiracy theories, which of course brought in lots of crazy people to the comments section. As I looked through the responses, I noticed how easy it was to scan them or just read the first sentence and say, “Well, this one is a crazy person.” And lots of people scan like this, because crazy people have this habit of self-identifying on the internet that allows sane people to skip over what they have to say before even getting to the crazy point. Thus crazy people never even get heard.

The advent of the internet should be a Renaissance for crazy. Crazy people used to have to try to spread their views through poorly photocopied newsletters with weird font choices that no sane person would read. But on the internet, crazy people can put their opinions right next to those of sane people. If they can just use a little self-discipline to not immediately identify themselves as cuckoo for Cocoa Puffs, they might actually get their ideas read.

Now, I’m not going to try to tell people how not to be crazy anymore. That’s a long, involved process of correctly identifying the internal things making them angry in their own psyches that they instead project onto external things. And it sounds hella boring. Instead, I’m only going to tell you how to conceal your craziness. I’m going to teach you how to take your freak flag and fold it up and put it in your back pocket. If you’re successful, people are going to have to really read your points before understanding that you’re crazy. They might even miss your crazy entirely and really consider what you have to say (e.g., “This guy makes some interesting points; maybe I should find out more about this ‘Ron Paul’ person”). Doesn’t that sound great, you social outcasts and conspiracy nuts?

I see some crazed nodding. Let’s get started.

Link
We are so far past and beyond the “long train of abuses and usurpations” that the Colonists and Founders experienced and which necessitated the Revolutionary War that they aren’t even visible in the rear-view mirror.
~ Ann Barnhardt

RickZ

Re: Tips for Not Appearing Crazy on the Internet
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2011, 08:39:03 AM »
Respond to an Actual Point and Not Just Something That’s Been Mentioned

Ever watch a paid partisan shill who, no matter what is said, will go to his couple of talking points? Now that has less to do with being stupid or crazy than just being soulless, but lots of crazy people are the same way, going back to the crazy stuff they really want to talk about no matter what subject people are actually on. And often crazy people will just read until they see a word or phrase that sets them off and then go off on a big, crazy rant before even reading the whole thing they’re reacting to. Often, then, they’re completely missing the point or missing that something is satire and taking it seriously.

Now, I know when people have crazy in their brains, it is really impatient to be let out. Still, you need to teach your crazy to wait and make sure you are actually listening to and understanding what you’re responding to. Like if someone mentions when Hanukkah is this year and you respond with a rant about Jews controlling the banks, you’re not actually having a sane person conversation. You’re just reacting to words someone is saying, which, despite the similarity, is leagues different.

Now, this is really advanced hiding-the-crazy. In fact, it’s at the borderline of trying not to look crazy and actually not being crazy. If you can actually read and understand what non-crazy people are saying and still keep your own crazy, that’s a really advanced state of crazy you’ve achieved. Be proud.

I can't even guess the number of times I've seen this cute little trait when it comes to a blog post about Palin.  I swear the crazies have search engines on speed dial, so to speak, using 'palin' as a key word and posting a disparaging comment on any blog that pops up in the first five or so (looking past that number takes too much time away from the importance and immediacy of posting their crazy).  The post may not even be about Palin, but her name was in there somewhere, so it's okay to unleash their inner crazy.

Offline rickl

• Established Member
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2011, 08:53:51 AM »
Respond to an Actual Point and Not Just Something That’s Been Mentioned

I like how Frank said some humorous things about 'birthers' in his article, and sure enough, a couple of commenters latched onto the birth certificate thingy and blew right past that warning.  Priceless!   
::laughonfloor::
We are so far past and beyond the “long train of abuses and usurpations” that the Colonists and Founders experienced and which necessitated the Revolutionary War that they aren’t even visible in the rear-view mirror.
~ Ann Barnhardt

Offline AlanS

• Conservative Superhero
  • Proud Infidel
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2011, 12:30:50 PM »
Well, according to my wife, I don't have the certificate, but I'm certifiable. And there's nothing quite so satisfying as a good thread hijacking. ::exitstageleft::
"Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem."

Thomas Jefferson

Offline trapeze

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • Hippies smell bad. Go away, hippie.
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2011, 02:45:12 PM »
And there's nothing quite so satisfying as a good thread hijacking.

Nobody around here knows anything about that.

Thread hijacking? Nope. Nothing to see here. Move along.

In a doomsday scenario, hippies will be among the first casualties. So not everything about doomsday will be bad.

Offline LadyVirginia

• Conservative Superhero
  • Mt. Vernon painting by Francis Jukes
« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2011, 08:23:23 PM »
My kids call me " thread killer ".

I don't usually bother with the stupid or the crazy but sometimes...

I've responded only to discover no one else posts after me (and this on threads full of comments). (I actually had one person PM me and apologize for making assumptions when he had no direct proof)
"And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor."

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I iz also makin a list. U on it pal.
« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2011, 08:49:39 PM »
My kids call me " thread killer ".

I don't usually bother with the stupid or the crazy but sometimes...

I've responded only to discover no one else posts after me (and this on threads full of comments). (I actually had one person PM me and apologize for making assumptions when he had no direct proof)

I'll be there are few who haven't wondered if they're not "the thread killer".  I have, Gunsmith has, and I've read others saying so.  It's kind of funny.

I sometimes do the "crazy" as far as picking up and ranting on one particular word or phrase.  I don't see it as crazy, more like the general point is an "I don't give a rat's patoot" but the offending "object" is a pet peeve, unlike an obsession.
"Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer." - Mark Twain

"Let us assume for the moment everything you say about me is true. That just makes your problem bigger, doesn't it?"

Offline IronDioPriest

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I refuse to accept my civil servants as my rulers
« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2011, 08:59:14 PM »
I usually just say whatever my mind is led to by a post that grabs my attention. If it's a tangent, I make my apologies and do it anyway.
"A strict observance of the written laws is doubtless one of the high duties of a good citizen, but it is not the highest. The laws of necessity, of self-preservation, of saving our country when in danger, are of higher obligation. To lose our country by a scrupulous adherence to written law, would be to lose the law itself, with life, liberty, property and all those who are enjoying them with us; thus absurdly sacrificing the end to the means."

- Thomas Jefferson