Author Topic: Cedar Falls City Council OKs controversial lock box ordinance  (Read 855 times)

Offline John Florida

• Conservative Superhero
  • IT'S MY FONT AND I'LL USE IT IF I WANT TO!!
H/T/ Rickz

Seven years ago the Cedar Falls City Council passed an ordinance requiring lock boxes on commercial buildings and larger apartment complexes. Hardly a soul made a peep about it.

http://wcfcourier.com/news/local/article_64b970a2-9624-11e0-93e5-001cc4c002e0.html

City Government demands all keys to properties belonging to Cedar Falls residents
All men are created equal"
 Filippo Mazzie

Offline LadyVirginia

• Conservative Superhero
  • Mt. Vernon painting by Francis Jukes
Re: Cedar Falls City Council OKs controversial lock box ordinance
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2011, 04:33:14 PM »
 ::gaah::

Has Cedar Falls had a problem with emergency personnel not being able to access properties?

I thought that's what the ax is for.

"And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor."

Offline brad

• Newb
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2011, 04:58:18 PM »
Yeah because if my house is on fire I don't want you to damage my property.

Offline Predator Don

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2011, 05:08:47 PM »
Another one of my pet peeves.....I have a lock box on my business "in case of fire". When opening my business, I was too busy to consider the intrusion because, well, I was trying to get open and the thought process was not there. 300+ bucks later, I had one.

From a practical standpoint, if I were a firefighter or policeman and I show up at a crime or fire, not too sure I want to take the time....and if there is a fire, I guess I am to take comfort in the fact my business burned but my door is entact? If there is a robbery, the police are gonna "go get the key" to unlock a door? Not to mention it takes a scan card to unlock my front door.....But the stupid "city fathers" required a key.....which is useless.....

I'm also required to have a sprinkler system...In case I have a fire,,,,,,, 3 fire extinguishers, safety tips and other crap posted so I will not discriminate and pay min wage. Oh, and lets not forget the emergency door releases, emergency signs, emergency lites, yearly inspections, my handicapped shower and toilets, handicapped drinking fountain, restrictions on my business signage, special walkways, and other crap I'm forgetting......Which btw, all come with a hefty price tag....... But I'm small business, so I must be able to afford it.

After all the "discussions" and costly changes the city required me to do, after first approving my plans (at a cost of 500 bucks), the overpaid city manager (town of 10,000, "earns" 87000.00 yr) has the gall to come to me requesting a "discount" for the very city employees who cost me a bundle because they were poor at thier jobs. Guess my answer.

Gov't intrusion is everywhere.
I'm not always engulfed in scandals, but when I am, I make sure I blame others.

Offline Predator Don

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2011, 05:10:39 PM »
Yeah because if my house is on fire I don't want you to damage my property.

They will save your key. Nice to have you here.
I'm not always engulfed in scandals, but when I am, I make sure I blame others.

Offline John Florida

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2011, 05:21:34 PM »
Just a couple of things I want to ask. If I was a cop and there was a robbery going on why in heavens name come in where I'm expected to come in??Can you say, target??

If there's a fire  and they chop my door down instead of using the a fore mentioned key will they pay for the door??The next stop is keys to our home and cars and safety deposit boxes.
 Filippo Mazzie

charlesoakwood

« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2011, 06:29:41 PM »

Two Burglars:

Hey Bert, there's a cop at the lock box.
Shoot him, Ernie.

Offline John Florida

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2011, 06:50:43 PM »

Two Burglars:

Hey Bert, there's a cop at the lock box.
Shoot him, Ernie.

Zackly!!If I was a cop I would tell them to EFF OFF!
 Filippo Mazzie

charlesoakwood

« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2011, 01:03:17 AM »

Thanks JF, 

One more state on my 'not to visit' list. Well actually been there and thought the folks A OK. It must be global insanity. Don't even know if passing through would be OK today. 

This is disturbing,
they have given away their lives,
roll 'em over, stick a fork in 'em. 
This is disturbingly insane. 
They have given their title "American" away. 
This is disgusting. 
You people in Iowa, did they spell the name on your collar correctly?

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
  • Alea iacta est! Libertatem aut mori!
« Reply #9 on: June 15, 2011, 07:04:02 AM »

Thanks JF, 

One more state on my 'not to visit' list. Well actually been there and thought the folks A OK. It must be global insanity. Don't even know if passing through would be OK today. 

This is disturbing,
they have given away their lives,
roll 'em over, stick a fork in 'em. 
This is disturbingly insane. 
They have given their title "American" away. 
This is disgusting. 
You people in Iowa, did they spell the name on your collar correctly?

;)
We are now where The Founders were when they faced despotism.

Offline LadyVirginia

• Conservative Superhero
  • Mt. Vernon painting by Francis Jukes
« Reply #10 on: June 15, 2011, 08:40:17 AM »
Folks in Iowa take their politics pretty seriously with their caucuses (or is it cauci? as Rush would say) but even they have not had their eye on the correct ball.  Even they were under the impression their job was to get people elected and then they're done (Iowa is all about the next campaign and tv coverage).  Now folks are realizing they need to elect better people but will they also recognize they need to stay vigilant and informed as to what these officials are doing?  I'm sure there were many a city council meeting that not one voter atttended in Cedar Falls.
"And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor."