Author Topic: More "winter" breaking out  (Read 471 times)

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
  • Alea iacta est! Libertatem aut mori!
More "winter" breaking out
« on: November 29, 2022, 01:23:16 PM »
Been snowing since early in the morning here...supposed to get 4-7"...already got the 4"...might break 7"...heck, make it 5" more and an even foot...gonna be dummies belly-aching about it anyway!

192 crashes so far...  How many: 1) first-time drivers 2) illegal alien drivers 3) unlicensed drivers 4) women, no just kidding...I meant "impaired" and 5) with poorly-serviced/never serviced vehicles that are the opposite of Minnesota winter-ready?

I know some will check off all 5!   ::)   ::cussing::

Well, I know I'll get some exercise to go with my usual evening drink-lifting and cigar chompin'!   And my little Christmas tree on the step will look neat in this stuff!  Ho! Ho! HO!  ;D

::snoshovel::   ::beertoast::
We are now where The Founders were when they faced despotism.

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I iz also makin a list. U on it pal.
Re: More "winter" breaking out
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2022, 02:55:26 PM »
Most women can't drive in the snow and many men can't either.  Common sense in any endeavor is not so common these days.

Apparently, it's a "thing" in the South to put plastic bags on the outside of shoes, guaranteeing no traction while walking.  And to not pile some weight in the truck-bed.  (Which many use as a handy garbage container, which contents tend to fly out while driving.)
"Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer." - Mark Twain

"Let us assume for the moment everything you say about me is true. That just makes your problem bigger, doesn't it?"

Online patentlymn

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2022, 05:37:01 PM »
Been snowing since early in the morning here...supposed to get 4-7"...already got the 4"...might break 7"...heck, make it 5" more and an even foot...gonna be dummies belly-aching about it anyway!

192 crashes so far...  How many: 1) first-time drivers 2) illegal alien drivers 3) unlicensed drivers 4) women, no just kidding...I meant "impaired" and 5) with poorly-serviced/never serviced vehicles that are the opposite of Minnesota winter-ready?

Well, I know I'll get some exercise to go with my usual evening drink-lifting and cigar chompin'!   And my little Christmas tree on the step will look neat in this stuff!  Ho! Ho! HO!  ;D

When younger, and with my kids when they learned to drive, I would go out in a large snowy parking lot and skid out of control then get it back in control.

I had just bought a newer used car several years ago, with almost bald tires. The light was red going down hill at a familiar intersection. I  hit the brakes then tapped the brakes then honked the horn like crazy as I slid in between two cars going through intersection. I got lucky. I bought new tires the next day.

Us northerners like to laugh at southerners on TV going out of control with 1 inch of snow. We are mean people.

Sometimes a driver will drive past us real fast on the highway. Maybe they have 4 wheel drive or something.
We get a warm feeling when we see them in the ditch miles down the road.  When you see lots of people in the ditch that is a good sign that you should slow down.

Once I was driving past the metrodome and the snow was so thick I could not tell where the lanes were. Then the rumble strip grabbed my tire and spun me around and my car barely touched the guard rail. I was facing traffic off on the side.
When the law becomes a ruse, lawlessness becomes legitimate. -unknown

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2022, 08:00:47 AM »
Most women can't drive in the snow and many men can't either.  Common sense in any endeavor is not so common these days.

Apparently, it's a "thing" in the South to put plastic bags on the outside of shoes, guaranteeing no traction while walking.  And to not pile some weight in the truck-bed.  (Which many use as a handy garbage container, which contents tend to fly out while driving.)

Frequency of snow equals more experience...so not everybody is a bad driver...the first heavy-ish snow though weeds out the newbies, idiots and fools.

Never would have even thought of plastic bags over shoes...I believe people would be pointed-at and laughed-at pretty wickedly...

And not everybody weighs down their rear end here...again, some need to learn...

My first car was a '74 Duster, light as hell in the rear...always had 200lbs of rock salt in winter - 100lbs on each side.

Only other non-truck I did that with was my old Crown Vic as it was a hair light there too & rear-wheel drive, so I would use 150lbs of sand bags...and with snow tires I could power through anything...

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2022, 08:06:53 AM »

When younger, and with my kids when they learned to drive, I would go out in a large snowy parking lot and skid out of control then get it back in control.

I had just bought a newer used car several years ago, with almost bald tires. The light was red going down hill at a familiar intersection. I  hit the brakes then tapped the brakes then honked the horn like crazy as I slid in between two cars going through intersection. I got lucky. I bought new tires the next day.

Us northerners like to laugh at southerners on TV going out of control with 1 inch of snow. We are mean people.

Sometimes a driver will drive past us real fast on the highway. Maybe they have 4 wheel drive or something.
We get a warm feeling when we see them in the ditch miles down the road.  When you see lots of people in the ditch that is a good sign that you should slow down.

Once I was driving past the metrodome and the snow was so thick I could not tell where the lanes were. Then the rumble strip grabbed my tire and spun me around and my car barely touched the guard rail. I was facing traffic off on the side.

I haven't ever hit anybody, ever...till a several years back when I got caught in "the accordion" commuting home...it was winter, but roads not bad...I was just last one to hit the brakes when everybody decided to slam them...

Fortunately, most of my near-losing-it experiences in winter driving was at times nobody else was around...which is when I like to learn what my vehicle can/cannot do...

Only needed a tow once...which to me is once too often...

Anyway, I tend to take a lot of backroads these past many years...I like not having a lot of yahoo's around me if I can avoid it...

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #5 on: December 26, 2022, 12:33:36 PM »
The snow, deep freeze and blowing starting to subside...10ish today, 20ish tomorrow with some 30's coming...

Going to Christmas Day gathering yesterday revealed a lot of abandoned vehicles along roadsides and some buried deep in ditches...

Meanwhile, the NE is fairing worse...

https://www.zerohedge.com/weather/least-38-dead-winter-storm-chaos-sparks-driving-bans-flight-cancellations-top-1400

...naming winter storms...jeesh!  It's winter, Arctic blasts happen...just like any weather happens...

There are videos out there of people looting in Buffalo...seriously...society is just so sick sorry and stupid...

::unknowncomic::

Online paulh

• Established Member
« Reply #6 on: December 26, 2022, 12:58:03 PM »
I had fun on Sat.in 3 degree windy weather. Went to go get beer, van battery dead. Wife says take her car. Doors frozen. can't get it. Son in law stops by from work and takes me to get a battery. $209.99 for a damn battery.  ::pullhair::Getting it in was a trip, this Nissan NV 2500 has the damndest terminals I ever saw. Plus all metric  and my tools are in the van and slider and rear are frozen. Found a hacksaw blade and got old one out. Good to go, but hood won't latch, bungie cord, got my beer. Now have to get slider open for a call tomorrow.

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #7 on: December 27, 2022, 10:19:26 AM »
At least you finally got the beer.   ;D

See, I loaded up on everything before the snow and deep freeze hit...instead of one case of beer I got 2, got pop, got sidewalk salt, got extra propane for little grills & heaters just in case...milk, eggs, yadda yadda...

Then I hunkered.  Didn't venture out again until Sunday.  Not so bad yesterday, our mess starting to move out...hits 27 today and wind out of the SSE...then get into 30's starting tomorrow.

More on the mess that went through and headed east...

https://www.thegatewaypundit.com/2022/12/update-55-people-dead-polar-vortex-batters-us-stranded-drivers-found-frozen-death-cars/

I do not understand these people perishing in cars...

First, if you venture out in this kind of crap, be prepared - have a vehicle in good winter operating condition, have winter survival preps in your vehicle.  If you don't have either STAY where you are!

Second, no what is happening outside...no matter how well prepared and winter ready your vehicle is if the weather is high winds and severe cold...why risk it?

Third, don't travel obscure roads, stay on main roads...may need to go slower but if you're in a hurry you probably shouldn't have left...main roads will more likely be near towns, gas stations - shelter.

Fourth, in bad weather like this, do as truckers do...most long haul drivers know the roads and conditions...stay 100' or so behind one...it's a big deer/car bumper for ya and easy lights to see.

Fifth, stranded - set out reflective signs and/or flares...if your buried in snow do NOT run the engine to stay warm, you'll just carbon monoxide yourself...use those winter winter survival preps and rations you should have with you.

I'm sure I'm forgetting other helpful hints, seriously though I cannot understand why people risk things and are not adequately prepared and venture out when they should stay put.  Will be interesting to see how many of the are of people who thought they had a seemingly indestructible 4WD/AWD beast and thought they could venture into a winter storm in easy luxury?

Also, very glad I do not need to fly...

https://www.zerohedge.com/markets/full-blown-meltdown-southwest-cancels-nearly-3000-flights-holiday-travel-hits-perfect-storm

...what a herd fustercluck that industry is.   You are meat, renting yoke space and subject to whatever whim gubmint monkeys inflict.  Plus, the added excitement of wondering your cockpit crew will experience a forced clot-shot in-air culling...

No effing thanks!   ::vafancoul::

ETA - Whoa, that last bit is confirmed...GMO pilots for serfs...but not for elites...

https://twitter.com/P_McCulloughMD/status/1607384638590431232

Like what group you are stuck in?
« Last Edit: December 27, 2022, 11:57:21 AM by Libertas »

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2023, 11:18:40 AM »
« Last Edit: January 09, 2023, 11:28:43 AM by Libertas »

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2023, 11:45:17 AM »
https://www.zerohedge.com/weather/coldest-airmass-planet-will-be-over-new-england-friday-night

::ohno::

Whatever...

It's called "winter", it happens...snow, cold, freezing rain...yadda yadda...

Been in the deep-freeze here for several days running...no bellyaching...so zip yer lips and suck it up buttercups!

::smallestviolin::