Author Topic: FDA Issues Graphic Cigarette Labels  (Read 1385 times)

Offline LadyVirginia

• Conservative Superhero
  • Mt. Vernon painting by Francis Jukes
FDA Issues Graphic Cigarette Labels
« on: June 21, 2011, 10:05:37 AM »
Will arrive in stores in about 15 months.

(Fox News) RICHMOND, Va. -- In the most significant change to U.S. cigarette packs in 25 years, the Food and Drug Administration on Tuesday released nine new warning labels that depict in graphic detail the negative health effects of tobacco use.

Among the images to appear on cigarette packs are rotting and diseased teeth and gums and a man with a tracheotomy smoking.

Also included among the labels are: the corpse of a smoker, diseased lungs, and a mother holding her baby with smoke swirling around them. They include phrases like "Smoking can kill you" and "Cigarettes cause cancer" and feature graphic images to convey the dangers of tobacco, which is responsible for about 443,000 deaths in the U.S. a year.

Each label includes a national quit smoking hotline number.

link

"And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor."

Offline Glock32

• Conservative Superhero
  • Get some!
Re: FDA Issues Graphic Cigarette Labels
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2011, 10:24:46 AM »
They're so FOS. Without the revenue from cigarette taxes they wouldn't know what to do. Rush makes this point often, we have a bureaucracy that tries to shame/scare/coerce people into living the way our betters want, then when people start doing so the same bureaucrats whine about lost revenue. I think the state of Illinois recently rescinded some smoking ban they had enacted because they lost so much revenue.

Warnings have been on tobacco products since the 60s. Everyone knows the risks. They're just being thoroughly obnoxious about it now (while still holding their hands out for the tax revenue).
"The Fourth Estate is less honorable than the First Profession."

- Yours Truly

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
  • Alea iacta est! Libertatem aut mori!
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2011, 11:42:43 AM »
Now Pro Life groups can sue the government for not treating abortion warnings with the same courtesy!  I mean, what kills a life faster?  A kid smoking a Pall Mall or a kid getting ripped apart as he/she is forcibly removed from the womb?  I think videos of what the fetus experience should be mandatory viewing for anybody considering an abortion!

Lets see that graphic warning hypocrite bastards!

::mooning::
We are now where The Founders were when they faced despotism.

Offline LadyVirginia

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2011, 11:49:10 AM »
Now Pro Life groups can sue the government for not treating abortion warnings with the same courtesy!  I mean, what kills a life faster?  A kid smoking a Pall Mall or a kid getting ripped apart as he/she is forcibly removed from the womb?  I think videos of what the fetus experience should be mandatory viewing for anybody considering an abortion!

::thumbsup::
"And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor."

Offline AlanS

• Conservative Superhero
  • Proud Infidel
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2011, 07:45:48 PM »

::beertoast::
"Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem."

Thomas Jefferson

Offline rickl

• Established Member
« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2011, 07:51:21 PM »

Fair is fair.
We are so far past and beyond the “long train of abuses and usurpations” that the Colonists and Founders experienced and which necessitated the Revolutionary War that they aren’t even visible in the rear-view mirror.
~ Ann Barnhardt

Offline John Florida

• Conservative Superhero
  • IT'S MY FONT AND I'LL USE IT IF I WANT TO!!
« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2011, 08:03:45 PM »
One is a nono the other is privacy why can't you guys get that?? ::angry::
All men are created equal"
 Filippo Mazzie

Offline Sectionhand

• Conservative Hero
« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2011, 06:07:06 AM »

Warnings have been on tobacco products since the 60s. Everyone knows the risks. They're just being thoroughly obnoxious about it now (while still holding their hands out for the tax revenue).

Adult smokers will just ignore them and the kids they're trying to scare will laugh at them .  ::mooning::

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2011, 07:48:56 AM »
One is a nono the other is privacy why can't you guys get that?? ::angry::

Which is which?   ::whatgives::   ::evil::

What people put in their body, smoke or DNA, is a privacy issue, no?   ::stirpot::

;)

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #9 on: June 22, 2011, 07:49:13 AM »

Adult smokers will just ignore them and the kids they're trying to scare will laugh at them .  ::mooning::

Yup.

Offline LadyVirginia

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #10 on: June 22, 2011, 09:51:45 AM »

Adult smokers will just ignore them and the kids they're trying to scare will laugh at them ::mooning::

Yup.

Look for the youtube video! Or the avatars.

Offline Thresherman

• Likes the place
« Reply #11 on: June 22, 2011, 06:37:10 PM »
Another government mandated futile gesture that will make Obastard's Stimulus Plan look wildly successful by comparision.

Offline rickl

• Established Member
« Reply #12 on: June 23, 2011, 08:54:33 AM »
Comment seen at AoSHQ:

46 Car accident photos at the pump?  Clogged artery pictures next to meat?  You're just playing into liberal hands.  Your "slippery slope" examples are just further things liberals would like.  Take the fight to them.

Throw photos of slain birds into every household that receives electricity via wind power.  Pictures of the discarded remains of fetuses at the entrance to every Planned Parenthood clinic.
Posted by: Tom In Korea at June 23, 2011 08:27 AM
We are so far past and beyond the “long train of abuses and usurpations” that the Colonists and Founders experienced and which necessitated the Revolutionary War that they aren’t even visible in the rear-view mirror.
~ Ann Barnhardt

Offline John Florida

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #13 on: June 23, 2011, 02:00:26 PM »
Why the eff doesn't he go golfing and leave people that are trying to make a living the hell alone.
 Filippo Mazzie

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #14 on: June 23, 2011, 02:24:51 PM »
Why the eff doesn't he go golfing and leave people that are trying to make a living the hell alone.

Becasue if it works or worse yet if people enjoy it and profit from offering it, it must be punished or destroyed outright...it's the proglodyte way!

:P

::cussing::

Offline John Florida

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #15 on: June 23, 2011, 03:08:12 PM »

Becasue if it works or worse yet if people enjoy it and profit from offering it, it must be punished or destroyed outright...it's the proglodyte way!

:P

::cussing::

It's not his fault that he's a smoker so do this?
 Filippo Mazzie