Author Topic: Navy delays next-generation submarine start to early 2040s  (Read 178 times)

Online patentlymn

• Conservative Superhero
Navy delays next-generation submarine start to early 2040s
« on: March 17, 2024, 02:50:37 PM »

https://www.defensenews.com/naval/2024/03/14/navy-delays-next-generation-submarine-start-to-early-2040s/
Navy delays next-generation submarine start to early 2040s
By Megan Eckstein

https://www.navytimes.com/news/your-navy/2022/02/14/metallurgist-gets-25-years-for-faking-steel-test-results-for-navy-subs/
Metallurgist gets 2.5 years for faking steel-test results for Navy subs
SEATTLE — A metallurgist in Washington state was sentenced to 2 1/2 years in prison and a $50,000 fine Monday after she spent decades faking the results of strength tests on steel that was being used to make U.S. Navy submarines.

Elaine Marie Thomas, 67, of Auburn, Washington, was the director of metallurgy at a foundry in Tacoma that supplied steel castings used by Navy contractors Electric Boat and Newport News Shipbuilding to make submarine hulls.

https://t.me/geopolitics_live/18780
On thin ice: US falling behind Russia in mobility in Arctic region

As the United States’ armed forces restructure to wage large-scale combat against adversaries like Russia and China, US lawmakers are pressing for renewed attention to an often-overlooked region of the globe.

General Gregory Guillot, who heads up the US’ Northern Command, warned Congress this week that the United States only has one remaining large icebreaker ship while Russia has about 40. Icebreaker ships are designed with a special reinforced shape and increased power to enable them to pierce through polar sea ice, opening up routes for more traditional vessels.

« Last Edit: March 17, 2024, 02:55:26 PM by patentlymn »
When the law becomes a ruse, lawlessness becomes legitimate. -unknown

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
  • Alea iacta est! Libertatem aut mori!
Re: Navy delays next-generation submarine start to early 2040s
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2024, 08:40:42 AM »
So, woke BS combined with horsesh*t Pentagon contract management and spotty Congressional oversight conspired to waste more untold billions...

Well, just keep patching up older vessels...got to have something for the Big One...
We are now where The Founders were when they faced despotism.

Online patentlymn

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2024, 06:01:46 PM »

I know nothing about weapons and such. If there are no negative consequences to people for making crappy weapons or making them decades too late then I expect that to continue. I think I heard that the Russian sub force is mostly new now.

I always thought that the brutal soviet motivations for weapons development did not totally disappear. A Russian ship just sunk in the Black Sea. The head of the lack Sea Fleet just got canned.  The pace of Russian JDAM like developments seems fast as does drones.

The story of the AK invention is a movie. It started with a tanker making drawings maybe when he was in hospital. Then a period of him working for an industrial company, The story of the US sidewinder is kind cool.

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2024, 09:18:21 AM »
They still have some aged equipment, they're just more selective in what they spend on for new toys...and they have more spending discipline than our idiots so less waste...

Online patentlymn

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2024, 01:43:25 PM »
They still have some aged equipment, they're just more selective in what they spend on for new toys...and they have more spending discipline than our idiots so less waste...

Plus Russia does not want to project power around the globe as much as US. I recall they have one non working aircraft carrier. That goes back to Trotsky. If you wanted to project power outside of USSR you were a Trotskyite. Neocons now are sometimes called Troskyites for wanting to do regime changes all over the world.

I have also heard that the so called "carrier union" has great influence on USN spending. Also the pilots union. In Russia it is missiles and more missiles.

Online patentlymn

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2024, 01:46:41 PM »

It is starting to look like there are two types of naval vessels. Submarines and targets. If Iran or someone else sinks a carrier or two all that carrier investment will look stupid.

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2024, 08:54:00 AM »
Submarines can be hunted too...the technology to track and kill only gets better...and no battle group sails without all assets near, seen or unseen...