Author Topic: Torchwood  (Read 3282 times)

Offline trapeze

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • Hippies smell bad. Go away, hippie.
Torchwood
« on: July 09, 2011, 09:04:04 AM »
Torchwood is a BBC production which is being shown on the Starz premium cable/sat channels. I got home late tonight but had set it up to record so I was able to watch it. This is, apparently, season four, the previous three seasons running on the BBC.

Premise: People simultaneously stop dying all over the world...why? And how much time does the human race have if children continue to be born and no one dies anymore? How long before the planet is over run with non-dead people? Who or what is causing this phenomenon?

The CIA have a computer file pop up on all of their computer screens with the word, "Torchwood." Investigation ensues. Mysterious assassins appear. One assassin goes as far as setting off a suicide bomb vest in an attempt to kill one of the main characters. This leads to a rather graphic and grizzly "autopsy" scene in which the fried remains of the assassin are examined. The non-corpse's crispy body still has signs of life, mainly one still animated eyeball. The examiners cut what little remains of the spinal cord and neck only to find that the toasted skull's eyeball keeps moving.

A team of sorts is pushed together by circumstance (they are attacked by black helicopter gunship) and that about ends the first episode. I believe that there are to be nine more.

Worth a watch if you enjoy this sort of thing and have Starz.

Here is a UK Guardian blog site on the show.

The series demonstrates yet again that there are most definitely alternatives to leftwing American PC programs. That said, the wikipedia entry on the show indicates that previous seasons of Torchwood had same-sex scenes of one kind or another running in them. Hopefully that will not be the case with a Starz funded production.
In a doomsday scenario, hippies will be among the first casualties. So not everything about doomsday will be bad.

Offline trapeze

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
Re: Torchwood
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2011, 09:25:27 AM »
One bit of minor trivia: Torchwood is an anagram of "Doctor Who" and both shows are connected to each other in several ways.
In a doomsday scenario, hippies will be among the first casualties. So not everything about doomsday will be bad.

charlesoakwood

« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2011, 10:05:54 AM »

The show is rife with faggots.  The male lead is a faggot the female costar is not adverse to same sex.
The show is sickeningly PC, they just grease it well.

Offline IronDioPriest

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I refuse to accept my civil servants as my rulers
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2011, 10:08:59 AM »
I watched the first episode in its entirety, with great anticipation. The genre is right up my ally as far as preference.

I have to say I was pretty much disappointed. I thought the concept was super-cool, but the execution was a big letdown. Acting, writing, screenplay, all sucked IMHO. It ended up being disjointed. Not as eager to watch episode 2 as I was having seen the extensive marketing leading up to the premier.

"A strict observance of the written laws is doubtless one of the high duties of a good citizen, but it is not the highest. The laws of necessity, of self-preservation, of saving our country when in danger, are of higher obligation. To lose our country by a scrupulous adherence to written law, would be to lose the law itself, with life, liberty, property and all those who are enjoying them with us; thus absurdly sacrificing the end to the means."

- Thomas Jefferson

Offline trapeze

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2011, 12:34:17 PM »
I wasn't blown away, either.

But I will watch it until I see left wing crap and then that will be the end of it. That's as good a way to send a message as any. Or watch it until it sucks for other reasons.

charlesoakwood

« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2011, 04:51:48 PM »

Captain Jack Harkness and his valet are, um, very familiar with each other.   

Wiki:
The first series includes content rarely seen or heard in the Doctor Who franchise, including sex scenes, same-sex kissing, and use of extreme profanity in several episodes.

Offline trapeze

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2011, 08:54:21 PM »
I'm okay with profanity. Even "extreme profanity" whatever that is. Sex scenes are no problem either.

But apart from the overall ickiness of same sex anything what I find more than a little bit stupid is casting a "hero" as a homosexual. It just doesn't work. And that's not just me. I can't think of any movie or television action hero who is a homo. So...what is it? Do the people who write and cast for this sort of thing have a problem with homos too? No. I don't think so. I think it just seems too implausible for touchy-feely, caring and sensitive homos to be rough and tough action heroes. More often than not a homo is cast as a sidekick for a female character or as comic relief. Wonder why?

At any rate, if any of that crap shows up in this season of Torchwood I will not be the least bit curious as to how the big story ends up. And that's because I don't care to have left wing "morality" crammed down my throat.

Online ToddF

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2011, 08:56:23 AM »
You want sex, innuendo, and spaceships, watch Lexx.  I'll pass on this. ::puke::

Offline rickl

• Established Member
« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2011, 09:35:47 AM »
You want sex, innuendo, and spaceships, watch Lexx.

I remember that.  Very strange show*, but man, that redhead was hot.

Wasn't Satan the head of ATF?  I seem to recall that.

*It seemed to be unable to decide whether it wanted to be a nihilistic gloom-a-thon or a comedy.
We are so far past and beyond the “long train of abuses and usurpations” that the Colonists and Founders experienced and which necessitated the Revolutionary War that they aren’t even visible in the rear-view mirror.
~ Ann Barnhardt

Offline trapeze

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #9 on: July 22, 2011, 11:43:48 PM »

The show is rife with faggots.  The male lead is a faggot the female costar is not adverse to same sex.
The show is sickeningly PC, they just grease it well.

Okay, you were right. And it only took until episode three for the male lead to hop into a gay bar. That was it for me. I deleted the whole damn thing. Have to wonder if the ratings will take a nose dive or if I am the only one who wants macho heterosexual action heroes instead of homos?

On the bright side, I didn't get too invested in it before it went full homo so that's good that more of my time wasn't wasted.