Author Topic: Well the time has come.  (Read 5851 times)

Offline John Florida

• Conservative Superhero
  • IT'S MY FONT AND I'LL USE IT IF I WANT TO!!
Well the time has come.
« on: August 20, 2011, 09:24:32 AM »
Yesterday I bought 500 rounds for my .40 cal an tomorrow I hope to go to the range and light this sucker up.Lets see if I can still shoot and hit what I aim at and if this weapon is as reliable as they say it is.
All men are created equal"
 Filippo Mazzie

Offline IronDioPriest

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I refuse to accept my civil servants as my rulers
Re: Well the time has come.
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2011, 09:31:00 AM »
Jeepers John... you've owned her for how long? Couple weeks? And you haven't fired her yet? Get out there!  ::cool::  ::beertoast::
"A strict observance of the written laws is doubtless one of the high duties of a good citizen, but it is not the highest. The laws of necessity, of self-preservation, of saving our country when in danger, are of higher obligation. To lose our country by a scrupulous adherence to written law, would be to lose the law itself, with life, liberty, property and all those who are enjoying them with us; thus absurdly sacrificing the end to the means."

- Thomas Jefferson

charlesoakwood

« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2011, 09:41:37 AM »

::beertoast::

Offline John Florida

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2011, 11:34:19 AM »
Jeepers John... you've owned her for how long? Couple weeks? And you haven't fired her yet? Get out there!  ::cool::  ::beertoast::

All I've had time to do is take it apart and put it back together a bunch of times and just get the old hands to memorize where all the safetys are without having to look at it. It's a comfort zone thing.
 Filippo Mazzie

Offline IronDioPriest

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2011, 11:59:21 AM »

All I've had time to do is take it apart and put it back together a bunch of times and just get the old hands to memorize where all the safetys are without having to look at it. It's a comfort zone thing.

I hear ya. I'm just ribbin' ya. When I got my first pistol, I took a half-day class before I ever fired it. Ever since then, I usually buy my guns at a shop with a range, so I buy them and then go downstairs to shoot.

I also took instruction on my AR-15 before I ever shot it.
"A strict observance of the written laws is doubtless one of the high duties of a good citizen, but it is not the highest. The laws of necessity, of self-preservation, of saving our country when in danger, are of higher obligation. To lose our country by a scrupulous adherence to written law, would be to lose the law itself, with life, liberty, property and all those who are enjoying them with us; thus absurdly sacrificing the end to the means."

- Thomas Jefferson

Offline John Florida

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2011, 02:25:29 PM »

I hear ya. I'm just ribbin' ya. When I got my first pistol, I took a half-day class before I ever fired it. Ever since then, I usually buy my guns at a shop with a range, so I buy them and then go downstairs to shoot.

I also took instruction on my AR-15 before I ever shot it.

The long gun is somewhere down the road for me.What it's going to be I don't know yet but I want  heavier caliber than .223.
 Filippo Mazzie

charlesoakwood

« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2011, 02:30:39 PM »

Go cowboy and match your calibers.

Offline John Florida

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2011, 03:09:05 PM »

Go cowboy and match your calibers.

Beretta makes one but I had something larger in mind but I change my mind like a school girl so when the time comes I'll put it off as long as I can and then just walk out and buy when when I've over thought is to no end and tortured everybody around me.
 Filippo Mazzie

Offline Glock32

• Conservative Superhero
  • Get some!
« Reply #8 on: August 20, 2011, 07:48:29 PM »
Getting the matching carbine is not a bad idea, share ammo and magazines. But a "real" rifle should be in everyone's arsenal as well. If you want heavier than .223 I say go .308. It's an ubiquitous NATO round and will definitely reach out and put the hurt on any ne'er-do-wells.
"The Fourth Estate is less honorable than the First Profession."

- Yours Truly

Offline AlanS

• Conservative Superhero
  • Proud Infidel
« Reply #9 on: August 21, 2011, 12:24:00 PM »
But a "real" rifle should be in everyone's arsenal as well.

Since a center fire rifle was the only thing lacking in my arsenal (and my wife didn't want to spend the funds for one), I had liquidated some assets I had bought a Mosin Nagant and a can of 440 rds surplus ammo.
"Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem."

Thomas Jefferson

Offline IronDioPriest

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #10 on: August 21, 2011, 12:56:28 PM »
...I had bought a Mosin Nagant...

One of my boys has his eye on one of those right now.

- Thomas Jefferson

Offline John Florida

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #11 on: August 21, 2011, 04:53:49 PM »
I'm back from the range and had a ball all by myself. It went a hell of a lot better than I though it would. Put a hundred rounds down range before I had to come home because we were expecting company that's no longer coming.

All I can say is that out of a hundred rounds only 5 ended off the paper.The rest were all in the kill zone with several center mass shots. I found a new obsession.
 Filippo Mazzie

Offline AlanS

• Conservative Superhero
  • Proud Infidel
« Reply #12 on: August 21, 2011, 07:19:32 PM »
Congrats! Sounds like you had a great time.
"Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem."

Thomas Jefferson

Offline Glock32

• Conservative Superhero
  • Get some!
« Reply #13 on: August 21, 2011, 09:17:55 PM »
Speaking of the Mosin-Nagant, they are fine rifles. I have two of them: a 1946 M44 Soviet (Izhevsk), and a 1942 Finnish M39 (Sako) built on a Russian receiver originally made in 1896.

The 7.62x54R round is in the same class as .30-06, with similar ballistics. The Mosin-Nagant is a good choice for a rugged, inexpensive rifle.

- Yours Truly

Offline John Florida

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #14 on: August 21, 2011, 09:34:40 PM »
Congrats! Sounds like you had a great time.

That was fun but I need to work on my trigger pull. I seem to be pulling too hard or jerking the trigger and shoot left. I overcame that by aiming a little right which got it done as far as the target  but the right thing to do is concentrate on the trigger and get used to it.
 Filippo Mazzie

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I iz also makin a list. U on it pal.
« Reply #15 on: August 21, 2011, 10:39:24 PM »
If the trigger requires too much pressure, you can have that eased.  Maybe you're anticipating the bang/recoil.
"Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer." - Mark Twain

"Let us assume for the moment everything you say about me is true. That just makes your problem bigger, doesn't it?"

Offline Glock32

• Conservative Superhero
  • Get some!
« Reply #16 on: August 21, 2011, 10:57:57 PM »
You'll probably find that it smooths out some after a few hundred rounds, as the trigger bar and connector wear into each other.

- Yours Truly

Offline John Florida

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #17 on: August 21, 2011, 11:32:27 PM »
If the trigger requires too much pressure, you can have that eased.  Maybe you're anticipating the bang/recoil.

I think I was anticipating just about everything today remember it was all new.
 Filippo Mazzie

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #18 on: August 22, 2011, 12:03:34 AM »
You'll probably find that it smooths out some after a few hundred rounds, as the trigger bar and connector wear into each other.

Pardon me for saying, but "they" used to say something similar about shoes.  There's no need for "wear", and hundreds of rounds, when an adjustment takes care of this sort of thing and one can focus on accuracy.

Not for nuthin', but my .38 was a very hard trigger pull and a visit to a gunsmith, looooong, long before Gunsmith was one, put that right tout de suite, so this is a piece of advice from experience, not a "sale" for gunsmiths.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2011, 01:20:22 AM by Pandora »
"Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer." - Mark Twain

"Let us assume for the moment everything you say about me is true. That just makes your problem bigger, doesn't it?"

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #19 on: August 22, 2011, 12:04:40 AM »
If the trigger requires too much pressure, you can have that eased.  Maybe you're anticipating the bang/recoil.

I think I was anticipating just about everything today remember it was all new.

I'm sure you were.  Just you remember practice makes permanent (not necessarily perfect).  If you'd prefer not taking advice from the woman, just say so.

Sheesh.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2011, 01:16:29 AM by Pandora »