Author Topic: New MLK Statue Begs Question...  (Read 3012 times)

Offline trapeze

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • Hippies smell bad. Go away, hippie.
New MLK Statue Begs Question...
« on: August 22, 2011, 12:15:25 PM »
Okay, so whoop-de-doo, new MLK memorial is unveiled in DC and we are all happy, happy, happy.

But that's makes me wonder when the new O'Bama statue will be going up and just what the public reaction is going to be?

After all, look what happens when you offend the delicate sensibilities of surfers.

I'm guessing that they will have to post 24 hour guards around a BO statue just to keep the vandalism to a manageable level.

In a doomsday scenario, hippies will be among the first casualties. So not everything about doomsday will be bad.

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
  • Alea iacta est! Libertatem aut mori!
Re: New MLK Statue Begs Question...
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2011, 12:46:25 PM »
Wow, big ass monument...

I bet some of the community will find cause for criticism, and fragile egos and insatiable desires will still run amok...
We are now where The Founders were when they faced despotism.

Offline Weisshaupt

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2011, 02:37:30 PM »
Okay, so whoop-de-doo, new MLK memorial is unveiled in DC and we are all happy, happy, happy.

The only thing that bugs me is that its larger than similar memorials.  His speech on the Mall did affect the course of American history, and I am still praying that the liberals start listening to that speech and how it calls for equality - not affirmative action, not a public approbation  and tolerance of bad black behavior, not for deadbeats living off the public teat. MLK of course had a social justice bent to him, but I think he would have been genuinely  appalled if he could see what the quest for  Social justice has done to the black community and how liberals treat them today.  I don't know, but I suspect when he was calling to let freedom ring he didn't mean "take from those privileged white people and corrupt the morals of the black people with the bounty"

Offline Alphabet Soup

• Conservative Superhero
  • Hier standt ich. Ich kann nicht anders
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2011, 09:01:47 PM »

The only thing that bugs me is that its larger than similar memorials.  His speech on the Mall did affect the course of American history, and I am still praying that the liberals start listening to that speech and how it calls for equality - not affirmative action, not a public approbation  and tolerance of bad black behavior, not for deadbeats living off the public teat. MLK of course had a social justice bent to him, but I think he would have been genuinely  appalled if he could see what the quest for  Social justice has done to the black community and how liberals treat them today.  I don't know, but I suspect when he was calling to let freedom ring he didn't mean "take from those privileged white people and corrupt the morals of the black people with the bounty"

Feel free to call me racist, a disgruntled white dude, or whatever. I'll be first to say that this memorial is inappropriate and disturbing. From The Root:

"Next to Obama's inauguration, a few funerals and weddings, this is perhaps the largest event to happen in the past 50 years to people of color in this country," said Johnson. "I'm excited to know that children, people who knew Dr. King and others will go past it, and they will get the same feeling that everyone gets when they see it for the first time -- a shock and awe."

Does that bother anyone else? Am I the only one who is getting a heavy whiff of deity-worship in the making here? This "memorial" isn't meant to inspire - it is meant to overwhelm you.

Oh well, you know what those in the statue business say.....in the final analysis it is the seagulls who are the final arbiters of art...

charlesoakwood

« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2011, 09:42:03 PM »

But that's makes me wonder when the new O'Bama statue will be going up and just what the public reaction is going to be?

If he saw this mess it caused, he'd go back and open a church in Atlanta.  And he would have foot noted every sermon so that it not be misconstrued.

God bless America.

Offline warpmine

• Conservative Hero
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2011, 09:46:27 PM »
I do believe you have it Sir!
Remember, four boxes keep us free:
The soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.

Offline trapeze

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2011, 09:52:29 AM »
Funnier still...

Standing in the shadow of the Washington Monument, the statue shows Dr King emerging from a mountain of Chinese granite with his arms crossed and is called The Stone of Hope.

However, there has been controversy over the choice of Lei Yixin, a 57-year-old master sculptor from Changsha in Hunan province, to carry out the work. Critics have openly asked why a black, or at least an American, artist was not chosen and even remarked that Dr King appears slightly Asian in Mr Lei's rendering.

LINK

Hoo! Hoo! Ha! Ha!

In a doomsday scenario, hippies will be among the first casualties. So not everything about doomsday will be bad.

Offline Weisshaupt

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2011, 09:58:56 AM »
And hey don't forget this tidbit on Drudge this morning

MLKs family charged to have MLK  memorialized.

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2011, 11:24:28 AM »

MLKs family charged to have MLK  memorialized.

It's reparations 150 years later, don't disparage minorities from gettin' what is their due now!

/

As far as the artist goes...tough nuggets!  Low bid wins, beoch!

::hysterical::

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I iz also makin a list. U on it pal.
« Reply #9 on: August 23, 2011, 11:25:58 AM »

It's reparations 150 years later, don't disparage minorities from gettin' what is their due now!

/

The entire Duh Wun administration is based on get-'em-back-ism.
"Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer." - Mark Twain

"Let us assume for the moment everything you say about me is true. That just makes your problem bigger, doesn't it?"

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #10 on: August 23, 2011, 11:35:29 AM »

/

The entire Duh Wun administration is based on get-'em-back-ism.

Oh, and do I want to return the favor...in spades!!!

Offline trapeze

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #11 on: August 28, 2011, 05:13:30 PM »
The funny thing is that when I see this memorial it sort of looks like the kind of thing you hear about where the mob sends someone to the bottom encased in concrete.

(And what's that he's holding in his left hand? A Tootsie Roll? "Hey, baby, I'm MLK. Pull my finger.")
« Last Edit: August 28, 2011, 05:16:35 PM by trapeze »

charlesoakwood

« Reply #12 on: August 28, 2011, 05:30:33 PM »

It's a Cuban cigar.
Looks like they've also anglicised his facial features .

Offline trapeze

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #13 on: August 28, 2011, 05:35:13 PM »
Some of the MLK fans who were bitching about the sculpture were saying that the Chinese artist had made him look Asian. So go figure.

charlesoakwood

« Reply #14 on: August 28, 2011, 05:43:01 PM »

The chin isn't, and the jaw isn't and they don't resemble his either.

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #15 on: August 28, 2011, 05:44:21 PM »
It looks to me as though it's made out of chocolate.

Just sayin'.
"Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer." - Mark Twain

"Let us assume for the moment everything you say about me is true. That just makes your problem bigger, doesn't it?"

charlesoakwood

« Reply #16 on: August 28, 2011, 05:44:46 PM »

Why did they commission a Chinaman?  Diversity?

Offline trapeze

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #17 on: August 28, 2011, 05:50:49 PM »
Never try and understand the liberal mind and its convoluted decision making process. That way lies madness.

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #18 on: August 28, 2011, 06:20:41 PM »
"Martin Luther King's Daughter: 'Lincoln Remembered for Signing the Declaration of Independence'"

Read more: http://newsbusters.org/blogs/noel-sheppard/2011/08/28/martin-luther-kings-daughter-lincoln-remembered-signing-declaration-i#ixzz1WMv0nRWj

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #19 on: August 28, 2011, 06:26:57 PM »
Gunsmith wants to know if it's got "Made in China" stamped on it somewhere.