Author Topic: Hurricane Irene And All East Coast Related End O' The World Disaster Type Stuff  (Read 15517 times)

RickZ

On the Prince of Present's placard: . . . Cluster what?
Ace's new acronym for Jugears:  SCOAMF.  Stuttering Clusterf*ck Of A Miserable Failure.
This didn't take long:  http://www.scoamf.com/

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
  • Alea iacta est! Libertatem aut mori!

And as Trap mentioned on the Obama Depression thread, it's already in the Urban Dictionary too!

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=scoamf

::hysterical::   ::rolllaughing::   ::laughonfloor::

We are now where The Founders were when they faced despotism.

Offline IronDioPriest

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I refuse to accept my civil servants as my rulers
I've noticed Dan hasn't checked in since the storm. He's from MA, right?
"A strict observance of the written laws is doubtless one of the high duties of a good citizen, but it is not the highest. The laws of necessity, of self-preservation, of saving our country when in danger, are of higher obligation. To lose our country by a scrupulous adherence to written law, would be to lose the law itself, with life, liberty, property and all those who are enjoying them with us; thus absurdly sacrificing the end to the means."

- Thomas Jefferson

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I iz also makin a list. U on it pal.

Yes, he is.  I do hope he and his are okay.
"Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer." - Mark Twain

"Let us assume for the moment everything you say about me is true. That just makes your problem bigger, doesn't it?"

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero

Yes, he is.  I do hope he and his are okay.

Ditto!

Hope we hear from him soon!

Offline Alphabet Soup

• Conservative Superhero
  • Hier standt ich. Ich kann nicht anders
Libertas - You know that picture of the SCOAMF is right now making the email rounds  thanks! ::thumbsup::

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
Oh I know!  And thank goodness!

I can confirm as true the rumors that I have been disseminating this far and wide!

::evil::

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
Back to the storm for a sec, been listening to Rush and Levin talk about how the media lied about wind-speeds in all the hype.  Since I don't watch TV "news" or weather, I didn't catch that.  Did anybody here?
"Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer." - Mark Twain

"Let us assume for the moment everything you say about me is true. That just makes your problem bigger, doesn't it?"

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
From what I caught, it does seem like the wind speeds were overestimated to the detriment of the horrendous amounts of water falling that caused all the flooding.  One could argue over-hyping the storm cuts both ways, down play it too much and people might take the storm for granted and more might die.  Erring on the side of caution seems wise, but more time should have been devoted to rain and storms spawning off the big storm and better alerts to localities for that.  Forest/trees...weathergeeks forgot about the trees.

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
From what I caught, it does seem like the wind speeds were overestimated to the detriment of the horrendous amounts of water falling that caused all the flooding.  One could argue over-hyping the storm cuts both ways, down play it too much and people might take the storm for granted and more might die.  Erring on the side of caution seems wise, but more time should have been devoted to rain and storms spawning off the big storm and better alerts to localities for that.  Forest/trees...weathergeeks forgot about the trees.

No, not overestimated, deliberately misrepresented.  This site >> http://www.wunderground.com/    reports on local conditions and the correct wind-speed information was being disseminated before and during the storm, which was ignored.

Levin had Dr. Simon Atkins of the Advanced Forecasting Corporation on Friday and he went on record then about the hyping of the wind-speeds instead of the proper concerns.

I can well understand and agree with focusing on what the possible/probable dangers are, such as flooding from rains and such, but to put the emphasis on what they damn well knew wasn't happening instead distracted people from the real dangers.

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
That is worse to be sure, but there is no way in hell the MFM will recognise a non-government body putting weather info out, especially one with the word "underground" in it.  It would be like giving Drudge credit for breaking news he got right.  And no way will they do anyting but cover government agency butts and find an appropriate scapegoat to blame for the error.  This is the chickensh*t news era we live in, and why government bureaucrats feel so insulated from responsibility and accountability.  No doubt Harry Reid will have a high-n-mighty Senate subcommittee analyze it and issue a report after the next election that blames it all on Bush...

Offline rickl

• Established Member
I don't watch TV news, and I heard only a little bit of Levin talking about this.  I saw the Weather Underground post over the weekend, linked by a commenter at Brendan Loy's blog.  Loy was not impressed.

The WU data apparently came from amateur surface stations.  I have no reason to believe their data were wrong.  However, hurricane hunter aircraft were flying through the storm the whole time.  They measured higher wind speeds in the eastern part of the storm (which was over the ocean), and at higher altitudes. 

Sure, it's possible that NOAA's leadership has been politicized, just like everything else this administration touches.  But did the professional meteorologists on board the aircraft lie about their data?  That's a serious charge, and I'll need to see more evidence before I take it seriously.  Until I see that evidence, this sounds like "weather trutherism" to me.

The whole thing is kind of moot, anyway.  Some of the most catastrophic damage occurred in upstate New York and Vermont, when everybody agrees that Irene was "only" a tropical storm.  Apparently there's little correlation between wind speed and rainfall amount.
We are so far past and beyond the “long train of abuses and usurpations” that the Colonists and Founders experienced and which necessitated the Revolutionary War that they aren’t even visible in the rear-view mirror.
~ Ann Barnhardt

charlesoakwood

In the not to distant past every reporter standing in the storm had an anemometer from which he would pronounce the wind speed it indicated.  More than once I heard, I don't have an anemometer but... .  
As the FBI says, there are no coincidences.

Offline rickl

• Established Member
Seriously, people, concocting conspiracy theories about weather looks pretty deranged, without compelling evidence. 

A word to the wise.
We are so far past and beyond the “long train of abuses and usurpations” that the Colonists and Founders experienced and which necessitated the Revolutionary War that they aren’t even visible in the rear-view mirror.
~ Ann Barnhardt

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
Nobody's concocting anything, much less a conspiracy.  Even Anderson Cooper was taken aback by the difference in what was "reported" and what he experienced.

Anderson Cooper's Hurricane Irene hype get's deflated by Weather Girl

They lied, rickl.  They knew the wind-speeds were not what they were reporting -- it didn't even rise to Cat 1 level -- and they did it anyway.

A word to the wise.

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
Not sure about a conspiracy, Pan asked a question about coverage of the storm is all.  I was having Friday night fish fry up at the lake at a local haunt and they had CNN on all TV's and the mega-crawl had "HISTORIC STORM" on sticky post!  All that coverage was wind and surf, wind and surf...so from that outlet the coverage seemed tunnel-visioned.  Hell, Gov't all but owns that station and they can't get them to distribute better info to folks, especially in NY & Vermont?  Who's fault is that?

ETA - Good post Pan, sorry my response stumbled into yours!

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
No problem, Libertas; thanks for the back-up.

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero

Offline rickl

• Established Member
They lied, rickl.  They knew the wind-speeds were not what they were reporting -- it didn't even rise to Cat 1 level -- and they did it anyway.

Who lied?
~ Ann Barnhardt

Offline John Florida

• Conservative Superhero
  • IT'S MY FONT AND I'LL USE IT IF I WANT TO!!

Who lied?

Rick the reporters were on the damned wind speed so much that people up north blocked out the rain and floods in their thinking. The floods were hell compared to the winds.
All men are created equal"
 Filippo Mazzie