Author Topic: My Road to Preparing,  (Read 3218 times)

Offline John Florida

• Conservative Superhero
  • IT'S MY FONT AND I'LL USE IT IF I WANT TO!!
My Road to Preparing,
« on: September 11, 2011, 03:41:14 PM »
Some interesting stuff in this,H/T nbpundit

We don’t have a lot of money, however with everything that is happening in the world today and all of the signs yelling in my face that I better get ready or face not being able to feed my family of 6, I started prepping.  I have taken a class at our local community college on the subject and learned a lot of very useful information.  However I didn’t stop there.  I sought out and purchased numerous books that are on the book list here at Survival Blog and did some extensive research on the subject.  Just recently I decided to write my story to share with others because I noticed that most people are purchasing their food storage items from different food storage companies and while we don’t have the money to be able to do that, I have still been able to help get my family better prepared for WTSHTF.

http://www.survivalblog.com/2011/09/my_road_to_preparing_by_new-to.html
All men are created equal"
 Filippo Mazzie

Offline Alphabet Soup

• Conservative Superhero
  • Hier standt ich. Ich kann nicht anders
Re: My Road to Preparing,
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2011, 04:13:15 PM »
I'm basically set for the long haul and now focused on improvements to earlier acquisitions. Unlike the author of the piece, I do have the money and nowhere to spend it anymore so I don't need to compromise and reinvent the wheel.

Last year I returned to vegetable gardening after a ten year hiatus. I never really knew what I was doing before and it was mostly done before as a lark and something I could share with my daughter. Now I'm trying to learn how to reliably produce food on a limited scale. I bought a small greenhouse and added that to my production capabilities.

A big part of my problem is impatience. For someone who has a hard time waiting for water to boil, you can imagine how anxiety-building waiting for crops to ripen can be!

Offline Predator Don

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2011, 04:46:53 PM »
As of today, my family could survive around 3-5 months. Maybe more, but I'm not a good judge of things. But I'm not too worried as my son and I have a plan. We know there will be looting and the like, so we have a list of people we KNOW are of the liberal persuasion....First, we will offer no assistance to those who are the cause of our issues..... But next, we are seriously considering stealing (raiding, taking, hoarding, call it reperations) from those who caused this maliase.

Is it right? maybe not.....But we believe they will come to (or against) us at some point, so we may be proactive.
I'm not always engulfed in scandals, but when I am, I make sure I blame others.

Offline John Florida

• Conservative Superhero
  • IT'S MY FONT AND I'LL USE IT IF I WANT TO!!
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2011, 06:10:59 PM »
As of today, my family could survive around 3-5 months. Maybe more, but I'm not a good judge of things. But I'm not too worried as my son and I have a plan. We know there will be looting and the like, so we have a list of people we KNOW are of the liberal persuasion....First, we will offer no assistance to those who are the cause of our issues..... But next, we are seriously considering stealing (raiding, taking, hoarding, call it reperations) from those who caused this maliase.

Is it right? maybe not.....But we believe they will come to (or against) us at some point, so we may be proactive.

I would only do it in direct response to a transgressor and we know there will be some of those around.I'm a start nothing but finish everything kind of guy.
All men are created equal"
 Filippo Mazzie

Offline AlanS

• Conservative Superhero
  • Proud Infidel
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2011, 09:34:37 PM »

I would only do it in direct response to a transgressor and we know there will be some of those around.I'm a start nothing but finish everything kind of guy.

Which perfectly fits my philosophy.
"Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem."

Thomas Jefferson

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
  • Alea iacta est! Libertatem aut mori!
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2011, 07:20:09 AM »

;D

::thumbsup::
We are now where The Founders were when they faced despotism.

Offline rickl

• Established Member
« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2011, 07:23:20 AM »
"Reparations".  I like that.   ::doublebird::
We are so far past and beyond the “long train of abuses and usurpations” that the Colonists and Founders experienced and which necessitated the Revolutionary War that they aren’t even visible in the rear-view mirror.
~ Ann Barnhardt