Author Topic: Presidential Election Watch 2012: The Democrat Edition  (Read 90795 times)

Offline John Florida

• Conservative Superhero
  • IT'S MY FONT AND I'LL USE IT IF I WANT TO!!
Re: Presidential Election Watch 2012: The Democrat Edition
« Reply #660 on: October 30, 2012, 07:54:27 PM »
   It may be gas(from a bad lunch) but I'm feeling in a good place right about now.
All men are created equal"
 Filippo Mazzie

Offline trapeze

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • Hippies smell bad. Go away, hippie.
« Reply #661 on: October 30, 2012, 08:39:30 PM »
I guess I don't understand Intrade. I thought that I did but I don't. I honestly do not see why the numbers aren't closer to 50/50 right now.

All that I can guess is that the people who traffic in Intrade (at least as regards the presidential election) are heavily invested in the Nate Silver universe where Obama is going to win with a 75% probability.

I don't see it and I'm not going into the reasons why again.

So...I am either very wrong about the election and the Intrade people and Nate Silver are right or it's the other way around.

Either way I do not understand the thinking behind Intrade or Nate Silver. And this does not trouble me.

But here is a pathetic left wing hack (Ezra Klein) to explain all about why Nate Silver really is a genius:

My guess is Silver and his successors will win this one, if only because, for all the very real shortcomings of models, election forecasters have better incentives than homepage editors. For instance, note that all these attacks on Silver take, as their starting point, Silver’s continuously updated prediction for the presidential election, which includes point estimates for the popular vote and electoral college, and his predictions for the Senate races. Those predictions let readers check Silver’s track record and they force Silver, if he wants to keep his readers’ trust, to make his model as accurate as he can. That’s a good incentive structure — certainly a better one than much of the rest of the media has — and my guess is his results, over time, will prove it.

And here is the Politico with their "wisdom" on the issue:

Nate Silver could be a one-term celebrity.

The New York Times's resident political predictor says President Barack Obama currently has a 74.6 percent chance of winning reelection. It's a prediction that liberals, whose heart rates continue to fluctuate with the release of every new poll, want to take solace in but somehow can't. Sure, this is the guy who correctly predicted the outcome of the 2008 election in 49 of 50 states, but this year's polls suggest a nailbiter.

"Romney, clearly, could still win," Silver told POLITICO today.

Prediction is the name of Silver's game, the basis for his celebrity. So should Mitt Romney win on Nov. 6, it's difficult to see how people can continue to put faith in the predictions of someone who has never given that candidate anything higher than a 41 percent chance of winning (way back on June 2) and — one week from the election — gives him a one-in-four chance, even as the polls have him almost neck-and-neck with the incumbent.

One of the things that crosses my mind is that the polls are wrong. They don't have to be off by much in order to skew the results of someone who counts on them for a prediction.

To me, it seems that it is entirely reasonable that left leaning polling organizations (and I have every reason to believe that most do lean left) would be more likely to give more accurate results in a year where "their guy" is expected to win. This would result in a prediction which is based on those polls to have a more accurate result. It seems equally reasonable that these same left leaning polling organizations would be less likely to give accurate results when "their guy" is not doing quite as well as he did last time. It seems reasonable to me that they might put their thumb on the scale if even just a little bit. This would result in a prediction with a less accurate result. Add to that the fact that the prediction "expert" is also biased toward one result and you have a compounding factor toward the results.

In other words, garbage in-garbage out.

The common sense point of view seems at odds with this "expert" prediction.

- We have an incumbent with almost zero accomplishments.
- We have arguably the worst economy of our lives which has not improved (not significantly, not even marginally) in four years.
- We have wars that have been mismanaged (more dead in Afghanistan under BO than under GWB).
- We have a new war situation in Libya.
- We have a foreign policy scandal in Benghazi that seems to lead directly to the WH.
- Gas prices are historically high.
- Food prices are very high.
- Unemployment is very high.
- Food stamp usage is very high.
- Foreclosure rates are extremely high.
- Consumer confidence is very low.
- The net worth of most Americans is very low.
- The national debt is at an all time high, nearly double what it was four years ago.
- We have not had a budget in years.

I could go on and on and you could, too. I don't like to quote Democrats and I especially don't like to quote Algore but in 1992 he said, "Everything that should be up is down and everything that should be down is up." Anyone can see that this is what we have been experiencing for the last four years and anyone can see that there is no reason to believe that a continuation of BO's administration will not change the situation for the better.

So, polls aside...the common sense take on the election is that BO is ripe to be thrown out.

Which is it? Which line of thinking is going to win out? Polls and "expert" prediction gurus or common sense?

I'm betting on common sense. I'm betting that a majority of the voting public will not pull a lever or fill in a circle for another four years of this misery.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2012, 09:29:09 PM by trapeze »
In a doomsday scenario, hippies will be among the first casualties. So not everything about doomsday will be bad.

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
  • Alea iacta est! Libertatem aut mori!
« Reply #662 on: October 31, 2012, 07:15:25 AM »
http://apnews.myway.com/article/20121030/DA2854680.html

Even AssocProgs is having a hard time avoiding news indicating Obama is in trouble, the firewall is, if not down, is fracturing and about to crumble.

Only an extra-legal act can keep Obama in office now, politically his goose is cooked.

ETA - Speaking of cooked, the fat-lib bastard Moore scrapped the alleys and projects for some bitter old coots lookin' to start race riots and "burn this motherf**ker down".

http://dailycaller.com/2012/10/30/michael-moore-moveon-org-video-features-dirty-mouthed-old-people-lambasting-republicans-romney/

Yeah, that'll help sway independents and scare off conservatives...NOT!

Go ahead racist old losers, burn that motherf**ker down, I dare ya!  And throw that fat-lib bastard Moore on the flames, the lard on that ass will burn for days!

::vafancoul::
« Last Edit: October 31, 2012, 07:23:32 AM by Libertas »
We are now where The Founders were when they faced despotism.

Offline Predator Don

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #663 on: October 31, 2012, 08:26:45 AM »
I think the old people meant......when we look up from hell.
I'm not always engulfed in scandals, but when I am, I make sure I blame others.

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #664 on: November 02, 2012, 11:29:01 AM »
Speaking of spawn of hell...

Special Assistant to the President, Kareem Dale, told supporters this week at an OFA phone bank, “Let’s win this mother-f*cker!”

http://www.thegatewaypundit.com/2012/11/top-obama-official-tells-supporters-lets-win-this-mother-fcker/

Nice scowling mugshot there Kah-ream!   ::hysterical::

America is gonna kick your smug motherf**king ass out along with the SCoaMF next week, beeoch!   ::asskicking::

::cool::   ::whoohoo::   ::bustamove::

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero

Offline AlanS

• Conservative Superhero
  • Proud Infidel
« Reply #666 on: November 02, 2012, 11:58:23 AM »
Classy.
"Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem."

Thomas Jefferson

Offline robins111

« Reply #667 on: November 02, 2012, 12:02:16 PM »
I'm pretty sure President Mitt, and PM Harper will get along like gangbusters...

Offline Predator Don

• Conservative Superhero
I'm not always engulfed in scandals, but when I am, I make sure I blame others.

Offline robins111

« Reply #669 on: November 02, 2012, 05:44:48 PM »
Friends, with great regret, I have to inform you that I'm leaving Sunday to go deer hunting, I will be unable to track this important election of  my American friends.  I look forward to returning in a week or so, confident that the right people are elected.... keep your powder dry... ::beertoast::

Offline John Florida

• Conservative Superhero
  • IT'S MY FONT AND I'LL USE IT IF I WANT TO!!
« Reply #670 on: November 02, 2012, 06:01:00 PM »
Friends, with great regret, I have to inform you that I'm leaving Sunday to go deer hunting, I will be unable to track this important election of  my American friends.  I look forward to returning in a week or so, confident that the right people are elected.... keep your powder dry... ::beertoast::

Enjoy and stay safe. See you when you get back.
All men are created equal"
 Filippo Mazzie

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I iz also makin a list. U on it pal.
« Reply #671 on: November 02, 2012, 06:10:36 PM »
Good hunting!  Pray for us.
"Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer." - Mark Twain

"Let us assume for the moment everything you say about me is true. That just makes your problem bigger, doesn't it?"

Online benb61

• Established Member
  • My 2 fast cars
« Reply #672 on: November 02, 2012, 06:14:43 PM »

Good luck, I hope you bag a monster buck.
Eschew Obfuscation

Offline AlanS

• Conservative Superhero
  • Proud Infidel
« Reply #673 on: November 02, 2012, 07:21:20 PM »

Good luck and let us know when the venison will be ready.
"Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem."

Thomas Jefferson

charlesoakwood

« Reply #674 on: November 02, 2012, 10:45:38 PM »

Good hunting.  Don't worry about Barry, the uninstall is almost complete.

Offline trapeze

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • Hippies smell bad. Go away, hippie.
« Reply #675 on: November 02, 2012, 10:52:38 PM »
Signs in Colorado...

Zoom in to read. Note the empty chair that is next to the signs in the far background.
In a doomsday scenario, hippies will be among the first casualties. So not everything about doomsday will be bad.

Offline Alphabet Soup

• Conservative Superhero
  • Hier standt ich. Ich kann nicht anders
« Reply #676 on: November 02, 2012, 10:57:34 PM »
bronco bamma don't be gettin no lovin from them folk  :D

Offline IronDioPriest

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I refuse to accept my civil servants as my rulers
« Reply #677 on: November 03, 2012, 12:33:49 AM »

Just a pound o' sausage and a pound o' jerky, and I'll be all taken care of. Don't worry about the rest o' these characters. They don't appreciate your Northern-ness like I do.
 ::exitstageleft::
"A strict observance of the written laws is doubtless one of the high duties of a good citizen, but it is not the highest. The laws of necessity, of self-preservation, of saving our country when in danger, are of higher obligation. To lose our country by a scrupulous adherence to written law, would be to lose the law itself, with life, liberty, property and all those who are enjoying them with us; thus absurdly sacrificing the end to the means."

- Thomas Jefferson

Offline IronDioPriest

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I refuse to accept my civil servants as my rulers
Obama: Vote for revenge
« Reply #678 on: November 03, 2012, 12:55:10 AM »
"A strict observance of the written laws is doubtless one of the high duties of a good citizen, but it is not the highest. The laws of necessity, of self-preservation, of saving our country when in danger, are of higher obligation. To lose our country by a scrupulous adherence to written law, would be to lose the law itself, with life, liberty, property and all those who are enjoying them with us; thus absurdly sacrificing the end to the means."

- Thomas Jefferson

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I iz also makin a list. U on it pal.
« Reply #679 on: November 03, 2012, 02:57:30 PM »
    As is often the case when he goes off-teleprompter, at a campaign stop in Ohio today, Obama revealed a side of himself we haven’t seen since Hurricane Sandy gave him the opportunity to play The American President for a few days. The old Divider-In-Chief returned with a vengeance when in the middle of an attack on Mitt Romney he told a crowd at a campaign rally to stop booing and, ” Vote! Voting’s the best revenge!”

What he obviously meant was that voting is the best revenge against Mitt Romney.

What kind of divisive, ugly rhetoric is this coming from a sitting president? It’s easy to sympathize with the fact that Obama’s record gives few reasons for anyone to vote for him; and that for that reason, he’s been forced to attempt to destroy his opponent with a half-billion dollars in negative ads — but now the President of the United States is publicly telling a crowd of Americans to vote for revenge. And not just revenge, but revenge against another American.

http://pjmedia.com/tatler/2012/11/03/romney-vote-for-love-of-country-not-revenge/

This is precisely what resonates with these people -- those who have been awarded phones, food, housing, schools, medical care and affirmative action -- but it's not just revenge against Romney; it's revenge against all of us who resist their totalitarianism, who refuse to be looted any further, who have and are going to vote against their vengeful tendencies.

ENOUGH.
"Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer." - Mark Twain

"Let us assume for the moment everything you say about me is true. That just makes your problem bigger, doesn't it?"