Author Topic: SCOTUS 2012: The Grand Finale  (Read 50416 times)

Offline trapeze

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • Hippies smell bad. Go away, hippie.
Re: SCOTUS 2012: The Grand Finale
« Reply #240 on: June 28, 2012, 09:20:14 AM »
I never would have guessed that Kennedy would not be the deciding vote.
In a doomsday scenario, hippies will be among the first casualties. So not everything about doomsday will be bad.

RickZ

« Reply #241 on: June 28, 2012, 09:21:56 AM »
Bye-bye Republic.  It was a good run.

Offline IronDioPriest

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I refuse to accept my civil servants as my rulers
« Reply #242 on: June 28, 2012, 09:28:13 AM »
It's been quite a while since news has brought a tear to my eye. I can barely bring myself to think what this means for my children and grandchildren, both in the short-term strife that will occur because of this, and the long-term effect on liberty should we fail to make the Left choke on it until it dies.
"A strict observance of the written laws is doubtless one of the high duties of a good citizen, but it is not the highest. The laws of necessity, of self-preservation, of saving our country when in danger, are of higher obligation. To lose our country by a scrupulous adherence to written law, would be to lose the law itself, with life, liberty, property and all those who are enjoying them with us; thus absurdly sacrificing the end to the means."

- Thomas Jefferson

Offline Predator Don

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #243 on: June 28, 2012, 09:28:39 AM »
So the govt has unfettered power to call anything a tax.

So if you refuse to comply, it will reflect in your tax return.

It's been a good run.
I'm not always engulfed in scandals, but when I am, I make sure I blame others.

Offline IronDioPriest

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #244 on: June 28, 2012, 09:33:24 AM »
I s'pose if there is a silver lining, it is this: Thanks to this ruling, every American just received a massive tax increase 5 months before an election. There is a possibility that the political backlash could be so massive that the GOP takes all three branches and we can force them to undo this.
"A strict observance of the written laws is doubtless one of the high duties of a good citizen, but it is not the highest. The laws of necessity, of self-preservation, of saving our country when in danger, are of higher obligation. To lose our country by a scrupulous adherence to written law, would be to lose the law itself, with life, liberty, property and all those who are enjoying them with us; thus absurdly sacrificing the end to the means."

- Thomas Jefferson

Offline Glock32

• Conservative Superhero
  • Get some!
« Reply #245 on: June 28, 2012, 09:34:11 AM »
I knew Roberts was a snake.  And for all those milquetoast Republicans in the Senate, at the confirmation hearings, who always say this or that thing is "not the hill to die on", well you know what you craven motherf**kers?  Maybe it WAS the hill to die on.

And why can't Republicans appoint Supreme Court justices worth a damn?  It's because they've so bought into this idea of moderate, centrist, event-tempered BS.  The Democrats never do that.  They appoint justices who are ideologically reliable, and the GOP Senators obediently confirm them.  I have never been more certain that the GOP as an entity needs to just go away.  They have ruined this republic through their failure to be an opposite number to the progressives.

This pisses me off mightily.  But I have to say, my gut told me it was going down this way.  Perhaps it will be beneficial, it will help break the back of the docile morons who just keep working and paying for all this.
"The Fourth Estate is less honorable than the First Profession."

- Yours Truly

Offline Glock32

• Conservative Superhero
  • Get some!
« Reply #246 on: June 28, 2012, 09:37:29 AM »
I should add, whether or not this energizes the effort to repeal Obamacare is ultimately meaningless.  Sure, we could get rid of this particular act.  But the Supreme Court has just established as precedent that the Federal government can compel you to do anything it wants, if it is couched in the penumbra of taxation.  So where is the limit?  There was scarcely any limit before today.  Now, there is officially none.

- Yours Truly

Offline LadyVirginia

• Conservative Superhero
  • Mt. Vernon painting by Francis Jukes
« Reply #247 on: June 28, 2012, 09:44:03 AM »
When I was driving my kids to their activities this morning I had this sense that the fight was just beginning. 

I cried for my children.

"And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor."

charlesoakwood

« Reply #248 on: June 28, 2012, 10:15:27 AM »

Jackson? 

Paging Andrew Jackson. 

Would Andrew Jackson please come to the fore?

Offline radioman

• A Regular
« Reply #249 on: June 28, 2012, 10:34:39 AM »
We now know where we stand with this supreme court after these rulings. They are in favor of turning this country into a communist republic.

Our hopes do not stem from the supreme court, congress, or the presidency.

All three co-equal branches have been successfully seized by the communists.

There you go!
TGIF - "Thank God I'm Forgiven"

Offline John Florida

• Conservative Superhero
  • IT'S MY FONT AND I'LL USE IT IF I WANT TO!!
« Reply #250 on: June 28, 2012, 10:35:18 AM »
I s'pose if there is a silver lining, it is this: Thanks to this ruling, every American just received a massive tax increase 5 months before an election. There is a possibility that the political backlash could be so massive that the GOP takes all three branches and we can force them to undo this.

I can't be doing this at work but I have to. IDP I nevcer have a beef with what you say but how the hell is this a silver lining of any kind?Even if it means getting that a s s h o l e out of office this mess is permanent and at woest he would have been around 4 lousy years.

If this ends up being like Canadas tax system we can look forword to a 48% tax rate at a minimum not to mention all the other taxes that they impose on most purchases totaling a sales tax of about 15% above and beyond the income tax and not to mention the healthcare system going to hell.

Unless you think that cowards we have as leaders are going to repeal it.

Were not scrwed were effed but good at the hands of that traitor Roberts,Kennedy called as it is and Roberts went the other way the same SOB we cheered for just stuck it to us.
All men are created equal"
 Filippo Mazzie

Offline Glock32

• Conservative Superhero
  • Get some!
« Reply #251 on: June 28, 2012, 10:42:45 AM »
That's the worst part of it. Roberts SAVED Obamacare. He didn't go over because Kennedy already had and wanted to give a narrow ruling, no, he could have squashed it right then and there.  Government institutions are about the furtherance of the government.  Any connection to a mission of serving the people is long since forgotten.  I guess I'm surprised we even have the expectation.

At this point trying to "salvage" the USA is a fool's game. It needs to be broken apart by whatever means necessary.  It has simply become too large, too populous, and too diverse.  You can't have one country out of that arrangement.  We're just Yugoslavia with better personal hygiene.  We literally have two nations within one territory, and better you believe it is going to come down to which one of them can kill the other one quicker, harder, faster, stronger.  Civil war is inevitable, and I'd rather it start while I am still young and healthy.

- Yours Truly

Offline IronDioPriest

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #252 on: June 28, 2012, 10:43:28 AM »
...Unless you think that cowards we have as leaders are going to repeal it...

I don't think they'll do it on their own. I don't have faith or trust that they can be forced to do it. But I have hope that with a large enough majority and intense pressure from the citizenry, they can be coerced to repeal. It is a thin hope, but I won't lose all hope until the country crumbles around my ears. It's how I'm built. I have moments of despair, but then I look for hope.

- Thomas Jefferson

Offline IronDioPriest

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #253 on: June 28, 2012, 10:47:57 AM »
...Civil war is inevitable, and I'd rather it start while I am still young and healthy.

I've said for a long time that if it's going to start, I'd rather it start when my sons are fully grown men. They're turning 17 and 18 in August. I want so much more for them than the future that seems to be unfolding. And I have a little girl, and a grandson. So I guess there is no "right" time for a nation to witness upheaval.

- Thomas Jefferson

Offline John Florida

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #254 on: June 28, 2012, 10:48:37 AM »
...Unless you think that cowards we have as leaders are going to repeal it...

I don't think they'll do it on their own. I don't have faith or trust that they can be forced to do it. But I have hope that with a large enough majority and intense pressure from the citizenry, they can be coerced to repeal. It is a thin hope, but I won't lose all hope until the country crumbles around my ears. It's how I'm built. I have moments of despair, but then I look for hope.

Right now all I see is despair and I can't find a way out from it,I'm sick to my stomach.
 Filippo Mazzie

charlesoakwood

« Reply #255 on: June 28, 2012, 10:48:38 AM »

Beck says Romney's getting ready to speak.

Offline John Florida

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #256 on: June 28, 2012, 10:49:26 AM »

Beck says Romney's getting ready to speak.

He better have something brilliant to say or he can go to hell too.
 Filippo Mazzie

charlesoakwood

« Reply #257 on: June 28, 2012, 10:56:38 AM »

We can either ride the horse we've got or walk.

Offline Glock32

• Conservative Superhero
  • Get some!
« Reply #258 on: June 28, 2012, 11:01:57 AM »
Or send all the horses to the glue factory.  All of them.

- Yours Truly

Offline Gilead

• Newb
« Reply #259 on: June 28, 2012, 11:07:20 AM »
This is Tyranny.  The voting booth means nothing because the will of the people means nothing.

The question is, do we find a way to resist or meekly accept our shackles?