Author Topic: I have a problem with it  (Read 2259 times)

Offline Predator Don

• Conservative Superhero
I'm not always engulfed in scandals, but when I am, I make sure I blame others.

Offline IronDioPriest

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I refuse to accept my civil servants as my rulers
Re: I have a problem with it
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2011, 06:53:37 PM »
That's really bogus.

"Don't do your best, young man. It might hurt other people's feelings." What a sh*tty message to send to a little boy with superior talent.

"We're not gonna let that other boy do his best against you, because he's way better than you." What a sh*tty message to send to every other boy on either team.
"A strict observance of the written laws is doubtless one of the high duties of a good citizen, but it is not the highest. The laws of necessity, of self-preservation, of saving our country when in danger, are of higher obligation. To lose our country by a scrupulous adherence to written law, would be to lose the law itself, with life, liberty, property and all those who are enjoying them with us; thus absurdly sacrificing the end to the means."

- Thomas Jefferson

Offline Predator Don

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2011, 07:00:59 PM »
That's really bogus.

"Don't do your best, young man. It might hurt other people's feelings." What a sh*tty message to send to a little boy with superior talent.

"We're not gonna let that other boy do his best against you, because he's way better than you." What a sh*tty message to send to every other boy on either team.

Tell me.....Kids got talent.....lets step on him. Hold him back. Hold him down.

And Fox.....C'mon.

Offline Janny

« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2011, 07:35:55 PM »
Outrageous.

This reminds me of the time I was talking to the daughter of one the neighbors. She mentioned she had just gotten home from a basketball game. I asked,  "Did you win?"

She replied, "Oh, we don't keep score."  ::gaah::

Way to teach the kids how to handle victory and defeat, morons!

Offline rickl

• Established Member
« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2011, 07:51:20 PM »
This country is utterly doomed if that non-competitive mindset continues.

Still, the kid in the video seems to be handling it pretty well.  "God, grades, and touchdowns--in that order."  He seems to have his head screwed on straight.  And next year he'll no longer be bound by that rule.
We are so far past and beyond the “long train of abuses and usurpations” that the Colonists and Founders experienced and which necessitated the Revolutionary War that they aren’t even visible in the rear-view mirror.
~ Ann Barnhardt

Online ToddF

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2011, 07:56:25 AM »
As I suggested on Hot Air, just move the kid up a grade or 2 for football.  Nothing should be stopping the kid from playing, what, football with the 7th graders?  8th graders?  Wherever he best fits.

Offline IronDioPriest

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I refuse to accept my civil servants as my rulers
« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2011, 12:14:00 PM »
As I suggested on Hot Air, just move the kid up a grade or 2 for football.  Nothing should be stopping the kid from playing, what, football with the 7th graders?  8th graders?  Wherever he best fits.

True. Our varsity cross country team has a 7th grade girl on it, and our JV football team has a 9th-grader - even though there is a 9th grade team and a 10th grade team.

Something should be done to provide this kid with the proper level of competition - not stunting his ability to fully compete.
"A strict observance of the written laws is doubtless one of the high duties of a good citizen, but it is not the highest. The laws of necessity, of self-preservation, of saving our country when in danger, are of higher obligation. To lose our country by a scrupulous adherence to written law, would be to lose the law itself, with life, liberty, property and all those who are enjoying them with us; thus absurdly sacrificing the end to the means."

- Thomas Jefferson

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I iz also makin a list. U on it pal.
« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2011, 12:15:38 PM »
I heard the clip of him saying he was "okay with it".

This is conditioning this kid in ACCEPTANCE OF THE WRONG THING!  He ought to be furious!
"Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer." - Mark Twain

"Let us assume for the moment everything you say about me is true. That just makes your problem bigger, doesn't it?"

Offline LadyVirginia

• Conservative Superhero
  • Mt. Vernon painting by Francis Jukes
« Reply #8 on: September 30, 2011, 01:07:24 PM »
That's just fine and dandy for those folks who want mediocre kids.  As for mine I tell them to keep striving for excellence.  Never settle for less and if it bothers someone else well too bad. Eventually the wheat gets separated from the chaf. 

"And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor."

Offline Predator Don

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #9 on: September 30, 2011, 02:09:43 PM »
I remember some of my pee wee days....Even waaayyyyy back then, you wanted to compete against the best.

Offline LadyVirginia

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #10 on: September 30, 2011, 02:14:43 PM »
Oh, I've had my kids told not to do something "too good" cuz it would make the others on the team look bad.

"And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor."

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
  • Alea iacta est! Libertatem aut mori!
« Reply #11 on: October 03, 2011, 06:44:49 AM »
I've been railing against these non-results oriented emoters contaminating one of the few last bastions on manliness for decades...

::outrage::
We are now where The Founders were when they faced despotism.

Offline LadyVirginia

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #12 on: October 03, 2011, 08:25:38 AM »
We've gone to competitions and I've listened to parents complaining that their kid should have medaled.  I sooo want to say your kid's not very good and  needs to practice!

::gaah::  They want a medal for showing up.

Offline Sectionhand

• Conservative Hero
« Reply #13 on: October 05, 2011, 02:20:45 AM »
I heard the clip of him saying he was "okay with it".

This is conditioning this kid in ACCEPTANCE OF THE WRONG THING!  He ought to be furious!

He probably IS furious but has a crowd of adults ready to jump into his sh*t if he says anything .

Online benb61

• Established Member
  • My 2 fast cars
« Reply #14 on: October 11, 2011, 04:11:53 PM »
I posted this in one of the OWS threads and feel it is appropriate here too.

The problem with these idiot kids is that they were raised in the era where everyone got a trophy, just for participating.  Now they try to enter the workforce and wonder why the guy that got better grades gets the job and all they have to say is "Hey, I participated too, where is my job".

In my day you were only recognized if you were in the top of whatever you participated in.  This taught me that in order to be recognized I had to be better than everyone else and I strived to be the best I could at what ever it was (I like recognition).  These idiots think that it's OK just to have been there and they deserve something just for that.

The parents, teachers, and administrators that fostered this "everyone is great" paradigm should all be ashamed of themselves for the weak attitudes that are so obvious in OWS.
Eschew Obfuscation

Offline LadyVirginia

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #15 on: October 12, 2011, 07:59:44 PM »
In our house, we complain all the time about people who think they deserve credit for just showing up.  I told my children one day that (sadly) one really has to do very little these days to outperform most people (something as little as dressing appropriately for the job!).

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
  • Alea iacta est! Libertatem aut mori!
« Reply #16 on: October 12, 2011, 08:39:18 PM »
My nephew has to show up...every year in football...play a championship game against a team with a coach who loads his team with ringers....and it's a war of survival just getting the 2nd place trophy every year...but you know what feels good?  The fact that that trophy was earned!  There is not shame in losing, there is only shame in not trying...not trying is worse than losing...it is surrendering without a fight.

::thumbsup::

Next year they go to a try outs format, so teams will not be as easily hand-picked.

::whoohoo::
We are now where The Founders were when they faced despotism.