Author Topic: Waiting for Princip  (Read 922 times)

Offline rickl

• Established Member
Waiting for Princip
« on: October 04, 2011, 04:15:27 AM »
Too much to excerpt.  Go read it.

OK, here's a comment:
Diane Ellis, Ed.

I was compelled to buy Tuchman's The Guns of August a couple weeks ago, at the time by an unarticulated dark, ominous feeling in my subconscious.  Your essay gave words to that foreboding sense, that I'm sure many share, that something big is about to snap.

I haven't started the book yet, but I think I'll bump it up to the top of the queue.
We are so far past and beyond the “long train of abuses and usurpations” that the Colonists and Founders experienced and which necessitated the Revolutionary War that they aren’t even visible in the rear-view mirror.
~ Ann Barnhardt

Offline BigAlSouth

• Established Member
  • Who won't 'co-exist?'
Re: Waiting for Princip
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2011, 05:04:11 AM »
There are American citizens throughout the political spectrum, who are locked and loaded, waiting for the excuse to end capitalism or defend it to the death. Waiting. Just waiting . . .
The problems we face today are there because the people who work for a living
are outnumbered by those who vote for a living.
--------------
The enemy of my enemy is my friend; the friend of my enemy is, well, he is just a dumbass.

Offline Sectionhand

• Conservative Hero
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2011, 05:58:06 AM »
All one has to do is write "Princip" and anyone with a grasp of history immediately knows who your talking about .

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
  • Alea iacta est! Libertatem aut mori!
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2011, 06:47:56 AM »
Yup.

Should be as obvious as history repeating itself.

Oops, I just repeated myself!

I better wipe that up...
We are now where The Founders were when they faced despotism.

Offline IronDioPriest

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I refuse to accept my civil servants as my rulers
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2011, 07:55:02 AM »
Good read. This section seems to sum up the situation:

The world is always a dangerous place; but in the last few years that danger seems to have spread.  Equatorial and sub-Saharan Africa may be about to tip over into another hellish era of tribal warfare.  China, when it isn’t being arrogantly expansionist seems to be dancing on thin demographic ice.  As its hordes of men grow up without women, its thinkers now write about the value of ‘small’ wars.* In Russia, faced with economic collapse if oil prices slump, Vladimar Putin has made himself de facto Tsar – or worse.  And in Europe, the aging population, trapped between rioting welfare junkies and unassimilated Muslim immigrants, fervently hopes (they don’t pray anymore) that they will die before their long vacation from economic reality ends.

As for the United States, the world’s military protector and economic backstop, there is not only the greatest philosophical schism since the Civil War, but a dangerous lack of leadership at the top.  Even as it is crushing new business and new job creation at home with endless regulations and the corruption of corporatism, it is also projecting a self-righteous image of weakness abroad.  The lesson of history is that vacuums in leadership are always filled, more often by the ambitious than the responsible.  And that, at least in the short run, “soft” power is no defense against hard men.  Right now there are some very hard men out there leading nations, loading their pistols and eyeing their neighbors and rivals.

I learned a long time ago that when things seem crazy, they usually are – no matter how much smart people try to convince you otherwise.  There is a lot of crazy going around right now. . .and it won’t disappear just because we look away or tell ourselves it’s not as bad as it seems.

*Being the father of an adopted Chinese daughter, I've thought about this often. Aside from the obvious genocide of female children, the one child policy in China has robbed literally tens-of-millions of Chinese men of the potential to find a mate. The promise of women to an army of men who have little hope of finding one on their own would be a strong base-motivator to that army.

But first, we have to get from here to there in an overconnected world of angry people, and pray that no one accidentally – or purposefully – trips the switch that sends us back to August, 1914.  There is no obvious path, and we seem chronically short of leaders to mark the way.  Worst of all, he is out there.  We don’t know who, or where, or when, and probably not even why, but our Princip, the little man with the little pistol, is waiting for us, hoping against hope that we stall once more and he gets his chance.

Someone like this?

Or this?

Or maybe even this...

"A strict observance of the written laws is doubtless one of the high duties of a good citizen, but it is not the highest. The laws of necessity, of self-preservation, of saving our country when in danger, are of higher obligation. To lose our country by a scrupulous adherence to written law, would be to lose the law itself, with life, liberty, property and all those who are enjoying them with us; thus absurdly sacrificing the end to the means."

- Thomas Jefferson

Offline Glock32

• Conservative Superhero
  • Get some!
« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2011, 10:54:37 AM »
Waiting for Sarajevo.

When? Where? Who? What? How?

Those are all valid questions. The only thing that is not a question is "If?"
"The Fourth Estate is less honorable than the First Profession."

- Yours Truly

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2011, 11:21:47 AM »
It appears Hornady will be getting more of my money, but that's OK, I think its a fair trade.

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I iz also makin a list. U on it pal.
« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2011, 08:39:17 PM »
There are American citizens throughout the political spectrum, who are locked and loaded, waiting for the excuse to end capitalism or defend it to the death. Waiting. Just waiting . . .

"I am not a patient (wo)man".
"Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer." - Mark Twain

"Let us assume for the moment everything you say about me is true. That just makes your problem bigger, doesn't it?"

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #8 on: October 04, 2011, 08:46:34 PM »
Me neither!

In my bones I feel The Reckoning is not far off...

Offline Glock32

• Conservative Superhero
  • Get some!
« Reply #9 on: October 04, 2011, 08:56:42 PM »
It appears Hornady will be getting more of my money, but that's OK, I think its a fair trade.

Did you get one of their reloading setups?
"The Fourth Estate is less honorable than the First Profession."

- Yours Truly

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #10 on: October 04, 2011, 09:07:19 PM »

Did you get one of their reloading setups?

I'm still working on that.

::praying::

Internal family politics right now...setting SHTF budget priorities for the clan going into next year...this is my big push...right now still buying manufactured.

ETA - When I jump into something I want to go all the way...I want all set ups...all supplies...the works.