Author Topic: Actors' Political Views a Factor for Moviegoers, Study Finds  (Read 2019 times)

Offline jpatrickham

• A Regular
  • "No morn ever dawned more favorable than ours did;
Actors' Political Views a Factor for Moviegoers, Study Finds
« on: October 07, 2011, 04:09:13 PM »
Published October 07, 2011

FoxNews.com

"Hollywood stars and starlets might want to think twice before spouting their political beliefs in public.

A new study shows viewers often take into account celebrities’ political ideology before going to see their films. According to an analysis by Penn Schoen Berland conducted for The Hollywood Reporter, Republicans — and especially Tea Partiers — are more likely to sit out a movie for political reasons.

As for which stars are likely to turn viewers off, the study found documentary filmmaker Michael Moore topped the list among Republicans — followed by Jane Fonda and Whoopi Goldberg.

Among Democrats, Mel Gibson, Arnold Schwarzenegger and Tom Cruise also ranked high in the “avoid” category."

Read more: http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2011/10/07/actors-political-views-factor-for-moviegoers-study-finds/?test=latestnews#ixzz1a7qHwaAv

Yep! I'd rather read a book, than see a known Liberal act like he, or she, is somebody they ain't! ::angry::

Offline IronDioPriest

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I refuse to accept my civil servants as my rulers
Re: Actors' Political Views a Factor for Moviegoers, Study Finds
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2011, 04:29:53 PM »
I know I think about it, at least. I've stopped patronizing films by certain actors and actresses - although, I'd be the first to admit my criteria is subjective. Some people are jjst easier to hate than others - some films are easier to avoid than others.

I'll never pay money again to see Sean Penn, Tim Robbins, George Clooney, Matt Damon, Susan Sarandon, and a few mittfuls of others. I can't see them as anything other than who they really are, and thus, I am unable to suspend my disbelief and become immersed in whatever character they portray.

Others, like Brad Pitt, Johnny Depp, Tom Hanks, Morgan Freeman, etc, I choose to ignore their asininity because their body of work is enjoyable enough for me to put it aside for a couple hours.

I like the ones who keep their mouths shut outside the movie screen.
"A strict observance of the written laws is doubtless one of the high duties of a good citizen, but it is not the highest. The laws of necessity, of self-preservation, of saving our country when in danger, are of higher obligation. To lose our country by a scrupulous adherence to written law, would be to lose the law itself, with life, liberty, property and all those who are enjoying them with us; thus absurdly sacrificing the end to the means."

- Thomas Jefferson

Online ToddF

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2011, 05:39:33 PM »
See, Tim Robbins isn't on my all time s**t list yet, but I can't think of Morgan Freeman anymore without the vision of his molesting his granddaughter, so never again. 

Sean Penn, yep.  Clooney, probably.  Meryl Streep, Matt Damon, Woody Harrelson, Ted Danson, anything directed by Oliver Stoned.

Offline IronDioPriest

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I refuse to accept my civil servants as my rulers
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2011, 06:08:16 PM »
Yeah, I forgot about Freeman's incest when I wrote that.  Screws up the Dark Knight movies pretty badly.
"A strict observance of the written laws is doubtless one of the high duties of a good citizen, but it is not the highest. The laws of necessity, of self-preservation, of saving our country when in danger, are of higher obligation. To lose our country by a scrupulous adherence to written law, would be to lose the law itself, with life, liberty, property and all those who are enjoying them with us; thus absurdly sacrificing the end to the means."

- Thomas Jefferson

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I iz also makin a list. U on it pal.
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2011, 10:48:37 PM »
A factor?  Yeah, no sht, Sherlock.
"Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer." - Mark Twain

"Let us assume for the moment everything you say about me is true. That just makes your problem bigger, doesn't it?"

Offline LadyVirginia

• Conservative Superhero
  • Mt. Vernon painting by Francis Jukes
« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2011, 10:49:11 PM »
I know I think about it, at least. I've stopped patronizing films by certain actors and actresses - although, I'd be the first to admit my criteria is subjective. Some people are jjst easier to hate than others - some films are easier to avoid than others.

Well said.

I'm sure it also has something to do with the type of movies they like to star in.

Yeah, I forgot about Freeman's incest when I wrote that.  Screws up the Dark Knight movies pretty badly.

...ain't that the truth.... :'(

"And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor."

Offline Sectionhand

• Conservative Hero
« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2011, 03:45:39 AM »
Naturally ! I look at who's in the film and consider whether or not I want to subsidize their life-style . Many of those actors get a "percentage of the gross" along with their acting fee . I can't justify putting money in the pockets of people who's political point of view I find repugnant .

Offline jpatrickham

• A Regular
  • "No morn ever dawned more favorable than ours did;
« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2011, 08:19:34 AM »
Tom Hank's desire to make the Japanese the victims in some ways. The Pacific, wasn't half as good as Band Of Brothers. Also read the book by Eugene Sledge, Tom Hank's is very Liberal but,
I am not sure he even knows it!

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
  • Alea iacta est! Libertatem aut mori!
« Reply #8 on: October 09, 2011, 10:18:20 AM »
I saw the Killer Elite yesterday morning.  Jason Statham, Clive Owen & De Niro.

Don't recall Statham & Owen ever saying anything overtly politically stupid, but then again I am not watching TMZ and crap like that to really know every utterance and action.

But De Niro has made some dumb statements in the past, and while he is a good actor, I still felt compelled (as I often do concerning Hollywood) to only pay matinee prices.

But Rush said he liked the flick.

Gosh, I guess politics does influence my choices, shocking!

;D

O/T - For those interested the flick is based off a supposedly true story from the book "The Feather Men".

http://www.amazon.com/Feather-Men-Ranulph-Fiennes/dp/0688121349

True or not?  I dunno, conspiracy groups and star chambers once met my incredulity...but who knows...you decide.
We are now where The Founders were when they faced despotism.

Offline Alphabet Soup

• Conservative Superhero
  • Hier standt ich. Ich kann nicht anders
« Reply #9 on: October 09, 2011, 11:30:17 AM »
Laura Ingraham nailed it when she proclaimed, "Shut up and sing!".

If I need legal advice I don't go to a plumber. When I want seatcovers for my car you won't find me at the dentist office. Sure they may make small-talk on subjects that are topical, but I go to them for their specific expertise.

Likewise the idea used to be if I wanted to be entertained I would go to an artist - an actor, a musician, a painter, etc. I was going to view or experience his craft - not his politics. I didn't know his politics. I didn't want to know his politics. But the leftists couldn't leave well enough alone. Not even content to offer up simple small-talk, they insisted in shoving their views in our faces.

Why in the hell should I pay good money to some asshole in order to allow him to insult me (Rodney Dangerfield exempted)?

There are some whose personal politics are so repellant, and offered up with such nauseating gusto that I refuse to go anywhere near them. Morgan Freeman is the latest. Not one more thin dime will I ever send his direction.

Perhaps the next batch of actors and musicians won't be as dim-witted.

Offline LadyVirginia

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #10 on: October 09, 2011, 06:48:07 PM »

Likewise the idea used to be if I wanted to be entertained I would go to an artist - an actor, a musician, a painter, etc. I was going to view or experience his craft - not his politics. I didn't know his politics. I didn't want to know his politics. But the leftists couldn't leave well enough alone. Not even content to offer up simple small-talk, they insisted in shoving their views in our faces.

I feel the same way...I'm so disappointed when they open their mouths...don't they know we want to keep the illusion??
"And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor."

Offline Alphabet Soup

• Conservative Superhero
  • Hier standt ich. Ich kann nicht anders
« Reply #11 on: October 09, 2011, 06:56:26 PM »
I don't know why it seems such a mystery after the last ten years of divisive politics.

I don't broadcast my politics when I am performing. As a matter of fact I was in the last band for almost two years before anyone discovered that I was a conservative (boy did that come as a shock!).

People just don't know how to compartmentalize their lives anymore...

Offline AlanS

• Conservative Superhero
  • Proud Infidel
« Reply #12 on: October 10, 2011, 11:42:06 AM »
Until I was 30, I didn't realize a lot of the great music I was listening to was liberal. Coming out of that chemically induce fogged helped. ::exitstageleft::
"Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem."

Thomas Jefferson

Offline LadyVirginia

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #13 on: October 10, 2011, 12:08:02 PM »
I don't know why it seems such a mystery after the last ten years of divisive politics.

I don't broadcast my politics when I am performing. As a matter of fact I was in the last band for almost two years before anyone discovered that I was a conservative (boy did that come as a shock!).

i can't tell you how many conversations people have started with me because they assumed we were on the same page politically!  Just because our kids are on the same sports team doesn't mean we're the same politically  (well, unless it was soccer hehehe but we don't do soccer).

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #14 on: October 11, 2011, 06:46:34 PM »

i can't tell you how many conversations people have started with me because they assumed we were on the same page politically!  Just because our kids are on the same sports team doesn't mean we're the same politically  (well, unless it was soccer hehehe but we don't do soccer).

My former Periodontist ......

Alice Cooper has the right idea, "Don't listen to musicians; we're morons ...... ".
"Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer." - Mark Twain

"Let us assume for the moment everything you say about me is true. That just makes your problem bigger, doesn't it?"

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
  • Alea iacta est! Libertatem aut mori!
« Reply #15 on: October 12, 2011, 06:35:13 AM »
"Don't listen to musicians; we're morons ...... ".

Caveat - not all musicians are morons...IDP & 'Soup here to name a couple!

::thumbsup::
We are now where The Founders were when they faced despotism.

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #16 on: October 12, 2011, 01:22:06 PM »
"Don't listen to musicians; we're morons ...... ".

Caveat - not all musicians are morons...IDP & 'Soup here to name a couple!

::thumbsup::

No, certainly not all, however, Soup himself has written that he keeps his performing and his politics separate.

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #17 on: October 14, 2011, 01:22:39 AM »
"Holy jumped up bald-headed Jesus palamina!"  Gary Busey, "Silver Bullet".