Author Topic: To many laws on the books?  (Read 2655 times)

Offline warpmine

• Conservative Hero
To many laws on the books?
« on: October 18, 2011, 05:37:05 PM »
Never knew the extent of such retarded laws.................. that is until now.

Did you know, for instance, that in Alabama it's against the law to wear a fake mustache in church?

In Arizona, it is illegal to allow donkeys to sleep in bathtubs.

Did you know that in Arkansas, the river is forbidden by law from rising higher than the Main Street bridge in Little Rock?

In California, it is against the law to shoot from a moving vehicle at any kind of wildlife unless it's a whale.

In Connecticut, the law says a pickle cannot be labeled as a pickle unless it bounces.

In Florida, it is illegal to sing in a public place while in a swimsuit.

In Hawaii, coins are not allowed to be placed in one's ear.

How about Idaho? It's against the law to fish on a camel's back. This law is working pretty well, because I could not find a single picture of someone fishing on camelback.

Illinois? There's a law on the books that requires you to notify the police before entering any city in an automobile. I think that was one that must go back to when Obama was in the legislature.

In Indiana, hotel sheets must be exactly 99 inches long and 81 inches wide.

In Iowa, a man with a mustache may never kiss a woman in public. I never knew mustaches were such problem until I started researching stupid laws!

Kansas: If two trains meet on the same track, neither shall proceed until the other has passed. You think about that one now.

In Kentucky, one may not dye a duckling blue and offer it for sale unless more than six are for sale at once.

In Louisiana, it is illegal to gargle in public places.

In Maine, it is illegal to step out of a plane in flight. I hear it's a steep fine.

In Minnesota, a person may not cross state lines with a duck atop his head. (IDP, Can you test out this one for us)

In New Hampshire, you may not tap your feet, nod your head, or in any way keep time to the music in a tavern, restaurant, or cafe.

In my home state of New Jersey, it is illegal to wear a bulletproof vest while committing a murder. I'm sure that's a real deterrent to people contemplating murder, don't you think?

Just so you don't think these laws are all archaic, how about this one? It is a crime to share your Netflix password in Tennessee. Hey, isn't that legislating morality?

Did you know there's a law on the books in Washington state banning lollipops?
(no wonder they're all so looney)

Remember, four boxes keep us free:
The soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.

Online IronDioPriest

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I refuse to accept my civil servants as my rulers
Re: To many laws on the books?
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2011, 05:44:45 PM »
...In Minnesota, a person may not cross state lines with a duck atop his head. (IDP, Can you test out this one for us)...

Well... they've never tried to make me remove the duck before...

::thinking::
"A strict observance of the written laws is doubtless one of the high duties of a good citizen, but it is not the highest. The laws of necessity, of self-preservation, of saving our country when in danger, are of higher obligation. To lose our country by a scrupulous adherence to written law, would be to lose the law itself, with life, liberty, property and all those who are enjoying them with us; thus absurdly sacrificing the end to the means."

- Thomas Jefferson

Offline Predator Don

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2011, 06:33:19 PM »
Just goes to show there were stupid lawmakers then too......
I'm not always engulfed in scandals, but when I am, I make sure I blame others.

charlesoakwood

« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2011, 06:40:15 PM »

There are smart ones?

Offline Glock32

• Conservative Superhero
  • Get some!
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2011, 06:54:09 PM »
Whaling is illegal in Oklahoma.
"The Fourth Estate is less honorable than the First Profession."

- Yours Truly

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I iz also makin a list. U on it pal.
« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2011, 06:59:47 PM »
...In Minnesota, a person may not cross state lines with a duck atop his head. (IDP, Can you test out this one for us)...

Bwaha! That's a Grandpa joke, isn't it?!

~~~~~~~~~~~

Very interesting, Warpmine!
"Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer." - Mark Twain

"Let us assume for the moment everything you say about me is true. That just makes your problem bigger, doesn't it?"

Offline Predator Don

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2011, 07:07:16 PM »

There are smart ones?

LOL...Point taken.  ::doh::
I'm not always engulfed in scandals, but when I am, I make sure I blame others.

Offline Damn_Lucky

• A Regular
    • patriotsteaparty
« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2011, 09:09:02 PM »
Also in Florida it is Illegal to tie up your alligator to a fire hydrant. 
A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves - Edward R. Murrow

Offline AlanS

• Conservative Superhero
  • Proud Infidel
« Reply #8 on: October 18, 2011, 09:29:10 PM »

It is, however, legal in Arkansas. ::hysterical::
"Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem."

Thomas Jefferson

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
  • Alea iacta est! Libertatem aut mori!
« Reply #9 on: October 18, 2011, 09:35:12 PM »

It is, however, legal in Arkansas. ::hysterical::

Let's ask Billy Jeff about that!

::hysterical::
We are now where The Founders were when they faced despotism.

Offline michelleo

« Reply #10 on: October 18, 2011, 10:11:51 PM »
In Florida, it's also illegal to throw little people for sport.

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #11 on: October 18, 2011, 10:26:04 PM »

Don't the little people have the right to say anything about that?  Suppose they want for throwing?

Argh, gummint meddlin'.
"Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer." - Mark Twain

"Let us assume for the moment everything you say about me is true. That just makes your problem bigger, doesn't it?"

Offline John Florida

• Conservative Superhero
  • IT'S MY FONT AND I'LL USE IT IF I WANT TO!!
« Reply #12 on: October 18, 2011, 10:36:45 PM »

There goes Saturday night for me. Damned I've had it planned for weeks.
All men are created equal"
 Filippo Mazzie

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #13 on: October 18, 2011, 10:40:13 PM »

There goes Saturday night for me. Damned I've had it planned for weeks.

I know!  Rats!  I was planning on throwing you the farthest, too!

Offline Delnorin

• Free Speech While It Lasts
« Reply #14 on: October 19, 2011, 01:44:01 AM »
I believe it is still illegal to walk your pig on the sidewalk in Detroit.

DOH!  Editing and adding to my post::::::
It all makes sense now!!

That's why the ghetto trash stands in the middle of the street all the time.
They're not allowed on the sidewalks.  All those government pigs sucking off the government teet...

Holy cow.. never put the pieces together on this before.

Offline BMG

• Established Member
« Reply #15 on: October 19, 2011, 08:31:33 AM »
Funny thread Warp! Kudos!  ::rolllaughing:: Some of those laws are pretty hilarious...

You make a great point - we do have a HUGE amount of laws in this country that should never be on the books. I read somewhere that the average person in America is breaking at least one law every day and doesn't even know it. Nationwide the number of laws we have is staggering; 4,000+ crimes that the federal government recognizes and many times that for the various state laws and punishable regulations.
“The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government.” 
- Patrick Henry

"The more corrupt the state, the more it legislates."
- Tacitus

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #16 on: October 19, 2011, 09:19:02 AM »
An interesting website that discusses the problem >>  http://overcriminalized.com/

“Overcriminalization” describes the trend in America – and particularly in Congress – to use the criminal law to “solve” every problem, punish every mistake (instead of making proper use of civil penalties), and coerce Americans into conforming their behavior to satisfy social engineering objectives. Criminal law is supposed to be used to redress only that conduct which society thinks deserving of the greatest punishment and moral sanction.

But as a result of rampant overcriminalization, trivial conduct is now often punished as a crime.  Many criminal laws make it possible for the government to convict a person even if he acted without criminal intent (i.e., mens rea). Sentences have skyrocketed, particularly at the federal level.

This case, decided by the USSC in May of this year is an egregious example of overcriminalization:

Willful blindness is not knowledge; and judges should not broaden a legislative proscription by analogy.

—Justice Anthony Kennedy, May 31, 2011[1]

A recent decision of the Supreme Court of the United States in a patent lawsuit may, somewhat surprisingly, have a major and destructive impact on federal criminal law. In Global-Tech Appliances v. SEB, the high court held that the “willful blindness” doctrine, which relieves a plaintiff of proving that the defendant actually knew that its actions were infringing, applies to certain patent infringement claims. The Court also implied that the doctrine properly applies in federal criminal cases, which would undermine traditional criminal-intent, or mens rea, protections against unjust criminal punishment. The result may be that more innocent Americans will face criminal conviction.

In other words, prosecutors no longer have to prove an intent to break the law, they just have to convince the jury that the defendant should have known he was engaging in criminal conduct.

Online IronDioPriest

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I refuse to accept my civil servants as my rulers
« Reply #17 on: October 19, 2011, 09:21:22 AM »

Bwaha! That's a Grandpa joke, isn't it?!

Dang straight it is Lady! Grandpa George is smiling down upon us.

::saywhat::

^^ (That's the look he always gave me)
"A strict observance of the written laws is doubtless one of the high duties of a good citizen, but it is not the highest. The laws of necessity, of self-preservation, of saving our country when in danger, are of higher obligation. To lose our country by a scrupulous adherence to written law, would be to lose the law itself, with life, liberty, property and all those who are enjoying them with us; thus absurdly sacrificing the end to the means."

- Thomas Jefferson

Offline LadyVirginia

• Conservative Superhero
  • Mt. Vernon painting by Francis Jukes
« Reply #18 on: October 19, 2011, 09:31:38 AM »
An interesting website that discusses the problem >>  http://overcriminalized.com/

<snip>

In other words, prosecutors no longer have to prove an intent to break the law, they just have to convince the jury that the defendant should have known he was engaging in criminal conduct.

This goes hand-in-hand with the propensity to sue for every last civil grievance.
  PLUS:
Because we no longer hold officials accountable at the ballot box, citizens have to sue to enforce a law or stop an unjust one.  Because we are afraid to enforce decency and community standards we're forced to sue our neighbors.  Because so-called licensing boards don't really police themselves we have to sue.

And on and on...

"And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor."

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #19 on: October 19, 2011, 09:34:24 AM »
Funny thread Warp! Kudos!  ::rolllaughing:: Some of those laws are pretty hilarious...

You make a great point - we do have a HUGE amount of laws in this country that should never be on the books. I read somewhere that the average person in America is breaking at least one law every day and doesn't even know it. Nationwide the number of laws we have is staggering; 4,000+ crimes that the federal government recognizes and many times that for the various state laws and punishable regulations.

There's a DMV law in NC that avers if your car tires even touch the middle yellow line, you've broken the law.