Author Topic: What Did the Founders Say About Federal Money for Roads and Infrastructure?  (Read 637 times)

Offline LadyVirginia

• Conservative Superhero
  • Mt. Vernon painting by Francis Jukes
It's worth reading this whole short commentary by Burt Folsom

The Constitution does not grant Congress the right to appropriate funds for infrastructure. Therefore, the Founders usually argued that states or private companies should do the work; neither good government nor just results occurred when the people in Georgia could be taxed to pave a road or build a canal in New York. The problem was, of course, that some congressmen, then as now, wanted to bring federal funds to their state. The congressmen from New York, for example, had incentives in 1817 to attract federal dollars to their state to build the ambitious Erie Canal—the longest proposed canal in the world. That canal would indeed prove to be a success and a money-maker, but President James Madison vetoed the 1817 bill to spend federal money to build the Erie Canal, and other improvements. He knew the roads were needed, but he wanted New York to build its own canal, and Georgia to pave its own roads. Article 1, Section 8 of the Constitution did not make road building a federal function, and Madison wanted to go with the Constitution. “I am constrained,” Madison said, “by the insuperable difficulty I feel in reconciling the bill with the Constitution.” Hence the veto.

I think most people assume that the federal government has to be the entity that takes care of infrastructure.
"And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor."

charlesoakwood

A "Pawn Stars" customer brought in a verified lottery ticket issued by George Washington. 
He was building a bridge.

Offline LadyVirginia

• Conservative Superhero
  • Mt. Vernon painting by Francis Jukes

A "Pawn Stars" customer brought in a verified lottery ticket issued by George Washington. 

Peopel are so short-sighted.  They assume the ways things are done now is the only way things can be done.
"And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor."

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
  • Alea iacta est! Libertatem aut mori!
In another era the constitution reigned supreme, even political foes placed the constitution into the forefront of their thinking.  BY the time the progressive era took root much of that concern began to wane and damn near disappear alltogether...

IMO I was born far far too late in the game!!!
We are now where The Founders were when they faced despotism.

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I iz also makin a list. U on it pal.

Lou Monte - What did Washington say
"Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer." - Mark Twain

"Let us assume for the moment everything you say about me is true. That just makes your problem bigger, doesn't it?"