Author Topic: Lynching Cain  (Read 21353 times)

Offline BMG

• Established Member
Re: Lynching Cain
« Reply #260 on: November 11, 2011, 10:20:35 AM »
http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-503544_162-57322894-503544/poll-cain-tops-3-way-race-with-romney-gingrich/

Yeah I know - it's just a poll (and a CBS one at that!) and the only poll that matters is the one at the voting booth. Still, just because polls aren't reliable doesn't mean that they should just be dismissed out-of-hand. They still have some value. The value I see in this one: CBS shows Cain still ahead in the Republican field...if CBS can't fudge the numbers enough to make him look really bad then that's saying something!

In the Republican race for the presidential nomination, Newt Gingrich's support continues to slowly grow, and he is now tied with Mitt Romney for second place, while Herman Cain just edges both of them out for the top spot. Both Cain and Romney have lost support since late October.
“The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government.” 
- Patrick Henry

"The more corrupt the state, the more it legislates."
- Tacitus

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
  • Alea iacta est! Libertatem aut mori!
« Reply #261 on: November 11, 2011, 10:43:00 AM »
The lies aren't working.  And that's a good thing.
We are now where The Founders were when they faced despotism.

Offline BigAlSouth

• Established Member
  • Who won't 'co-exist?'
« Reply #262 on: November 12, 2011, 12:41:56 PM »
The southern accent has to be one of the finest pieces of human camouflage known to man, causing opponents to misunderestimate the intellect behind it.  ::dueling::

Only a Southerner can successfully use the phrase, with all due respect, with such charming condescension that the object of the point thinks he has received the highest of complements.
The problems we face today are there because the people who work for a living
are outnumbered by those who vote for a living.
--------------
The enemy of my enemy is my friend; the friend of my enemy is, well, he is just a dumbass.

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I iz also makin a list. U on it pal.
« Reply #263 on: November 12, 2011, 12:59:46 PM »
The southern accent has to be one of the finest pieces of human camouflage known to man, causing opponents to misunderestimate the intellect behind it.  ::dueling::

Only a Southerner can successfully use the phrase, with all due respect, with such charming condescension that the object of the point thinks he has received the highest of complements.

Just so.

Now, if you would do me the service of instructing on "well, bless yore heart", I'd be appreciative.  One Southerner informs me this is never meant well, similar to "with all due respect", when said to a non-Southerner.  Another contradicts the first and avers it is not said when it is not heartfelt.  I'm cornfused.
"Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer." - Mark Twain

"Let us assume for the moment everything you say about me is true. That just makes your problem bigger, doesn't it?"

Offline Alphabet Soup

• Conservative Superhero
  • Hier standt ich. Ich kann nicht anders
« Reply #264 on: November 12, 2011, 03:49:01 PM »

Just so.

Now, if you would do me the service of instructing on "well, bless yore heart", I'd be appreciative.  One Southerner informs me this is never meant well, similar to "with all due respect", when said to a non-Southerner.  Another contradicts the first and avers it is not said when it is not heartfelt.  I'm cornfused.

On some forums where the only indication of my background is what state I live in, I've been told that (usually by females). I'm not supposed to know that I'm being insulted and have gotten some very interesting reactions when I play it back on them ("Hmmm, does he mean "bless yore heart" sincerely or does he mean "bless yore heart" facetiously?)  ;D

Offline Glock32

• Conservative Superhero
  • Get some!
« Reply #265 on: November 16, 2011, 01:08:52 AM »
It can be a sincere expression of empathy with another person's travails, or it can be a demure form of sarcasm, i.e. "I'm going to be optimistic here and give you the benefit of the doubt that just maybe you were born mildly retarded". It's all in the context. I've usually only heard the expression from older women and in those cases it was used affectionately.

The first key to understanding the Southern accent/vernacular is to recognize that there is no the Southern accent. It's like the British accent in that it has innumerable local and regional variations. Linguists have long been fascinated with it because the Southern speech pattern preserved many elements of 17th-18th Century English.
"The Fourth Estate is less honorable than the First Profession."

- Yours Truly

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
  • Alea iacta est! Libertatem aut mori!
« Reply #266 on: November 16, 2011, 08:09:37 AM »
Damn Yankee's, now they done messed up our language!

;D
We are now where The Founders were when they faced despotism.

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #267 on: November 16, 2011, 10:53:56 AM »
It can be a sincere expression of empathy with another person's travails, or it can be a demure form of sarcasm, i.e. "I'm going to be optimistic here and give you the benefit of the doubt that just maybe you were born mildly retarded". It's all in the context. I've usually only heard the expression from older women and in those cases it was used affectionately.

The first key to understanding the Southern accent/vernacular is to recognize that there is no the Southern accent. It's like the British accent in that it has innumerable local and regional variations. Linguists have long been fascinated with it because the Southern speech pattern preserved many elements of 17th-18th Century English.

Thank you for the information.

One thing I AM clear on is there is no THE Southern accent.  I had a man tell me just yesterday that folks here in NC think he's from Texas (because of his accent) when he's from West Virginia.
"Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer." - Mark Twain

"Let us assume for the moment everything you say about me is true. That just makes your problem bigger, doesn't it?"

Offline AlanS

• Conservative Superhero
  • Proud Infidel
« Reply #268 on: November 16, 2011, 11:43:56 AM »
Where does coon-ass fit into the picture? ::unknowncomic::
"Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem."

Thomas Jefferson

charlesoakwood

« Reply #269 on: November 16, 2011, 12:00:25 PM »

A coon-ass fits in a pirogue.  ::rockethrow::

Offline BigAlSouth

• Established Member
  • Who won't 'co-exist?'
« Reply #270 on: November 16, 2011, 05:13:24 PM »
From the BAS "Southern Fried Dictionary":

Well, bless your heart! Meaning: "Well now, you really are an effin moron, aren't you?"
The problems we face today are there because the people who work for a living
are outnumbered by those who vote for a living.
--------------
The enemy of my enemy is my friend; the friend of my enemy is, well, he is just a dumbass.

Offline Predator Don

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #271 on: November 16, 2011, 05:26:07 PM »
When my moma says "Well bless your heart" to a family whose kids went off to git there schoolin and come back inundated with the liberal gene...It is a form of sympathy.....When she says it to the kids, it is in the form of you are a stupid dumbass.

Btw, there is no southern accent.
I'm not always engulfed in scandals, but when I am, I make sure I blame others.

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #272 on: November 16, 2011, 05:30:41 PM »
From the BAS "Southern Fried Dictionary":

Well, bless your heart! Meaning: "Well now, you really are an effin moron, aren't you?"

That's about the size of it.

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #273 on: November 16, 2011, 05:32:04 PM »
When my moma says "Well bless your heart" to a family whose kids went off to git there schoolin and come back inundated with the liberal gene...It is a form of sympathy.....When she says it to the kids, it is in the form of you are a stupid dumbass.

No, 'course not.  No nawthun accent either, cawfeecawfeecawfee.

I'm just waiting for the chance, next time I'm up north, to ask someone to "mash" the elevator button.  Just tickles 'em to dayuth.

Offline Predator Don

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #274 on: November 16, 2011, 05:59:22 PM »

I'm just waiting for the chance, next time I'm up north, to ask someone to "mash" the elevator button.  Just tickles 'em to dayuth.

And I can't wait to hear the next northerner ask for a "pop"........ Or when they get cornbread with thier meal, they say " oh, I didn't know this came with pancakes, I need some syrup.

Offline John Florida

• Conservative Superhero
  • IT'S MY FONT AND I'LL USE IT IF I WANT TO!!
« Reply #275 on: November 16, 2011, 06:52:30 PM »

And I can't wait to hear the next northerner ask for a "pop"........ Or when they get cornbread with thier meal, they say " oh, I didn't know this came with pancakes, I need some syrup.

Some of us call it soda.
All men are created equal"
 Filippo Mazzie

Offline Predator Don

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #276 on: November 16, 2011, 06:56:27 PM »

Some of us call it soda.

Soda? So what does the Mcdonalds employee hand you out the drive thru?

Offline AlanS

• Conservative Superhero
  • Proud Infidel
« Reply #277 on: November 16, 2011, 06:57:49 PM »

A coon-ass fits in a pirogue.  ::rockethrow::

Good call. You do know you stick out in a crowd now just for knowing the word pirogue? ::whoohoo::
"Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem."

Thomas Jefferson

charlesoakwood

« Reply #278 on: November 16, 2011, 07:11:38 PM »

Aw Alan, I feel a song comin' on:

Hank Williams - Jambalaya (on the Bayou)

At the end,  check out that babe.

Offline John Florida

• Conservative Superhero
  • IT'S MY FONT AND I'LL USE IT IF I WANT TO!!
« Reply #279 on: November 16, 2011, 08:12:06 PM »

Some of us call it soda.

Soda? So what does the Mcdonalds employee hand you out the drive thru?

Root Beer@! ::mooning::
All men are created equal"
 Filippo Mazzie