Author Topic: Time to hoard peanut butter  (Read 1313 times)

Online IronDioPriest

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I refuse to accept my civil servants as my rulers
Time to hoard peanut butter
« on: November 03, 2011, 02:08:54 PM »
I put this in TEOTWAWKI because A) peanut butter is a staple source of protein, and B) because if peanut butter becomes scarce or unavailable, it will be the end of my world as I know it. Looooooove me some peanut butter.

Article says to buy stock in Smuckers, ConAgra, Snyder & Lance, and Kraft. I'd rather have the peanut butter.

Hoard Peanut Butter as Prices Soar: 4 Stocks to Benefit

Peanut butter lovers will soon face the brunt of soaring prices as scorching heat and a drought in southern U.S. have ravaged the crop, resulting in zero yield in key producing states this year. On average, Americans spend almost $800 million a year on peanut butter products every year. The average American consumes more than six pounds of peanuts and peanut butter products each year, according to the National Peanut Board.

Prices for a ton of runner peanuts, used to make peanut butter, touched $1,200 mid-October, compared to $450 per ton in the same month a year ago, according to the U.S. Department of Agriculture. Peanut production stood at 3.63 billion pounds in 2011, down 13% from last year's 4.16 billion pounds, the Department of Agriculture reveals.

"A strict observance of the written laws is doubtless one of the high duties of a good citizen, but it is not the highest. The laws of necessity, of self-preservation, of saving our country when in danger, are of higher obligation. To lose our country by a scrupulous adherence to written law, would be to lose the law itself, with life, liberty, property and all those who are enjoying them with us; thus absurdly sacrificing the end to the means."

- Thomas Jefferson

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I iz also makin a list. U on it pal.
Re: Time to hoard peanut butter
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2011, 02:12:03 PM »
Beck's been saying for a week that prices for peanut butter will increase 40% next week.  So.  Get moving y'all.

eta:  Just wondering if California WAS a producing state before the water was shut off.

Gotta think they might be trying to starve us.   ::foilhathelicopter::
"Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer." - Mark Twain

"Let us assume for the moment everything you say about me is true. That just makes your problem bigger, doesn't it?"

charlesoakwood

« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2011, 02:28:31 PM »

Been trying to hoard it but I keep eating it so fast... ;D

Offline BMG

• Established Member
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2011, 07:11:32 PM »
Yeah, the trouble with hoarding PB is that it disappears to fast!
“The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government.” 
- Patrick Henry

"The more corrupt the state, the more it legislates."
- Tacitus

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I iz also makin a list. U on it pal.
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2011, 07:37:52 PM »
It's clear you peanut butter junkies do not know the first thing about hoarding.  Tsk.  To maintain a hoard, one must increase one's acquisitions past one's tendency to consume by doubling or trebling the replacement rate.

"Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer." - Mark Twain

"Let us assume for the moment everything you say about me is true. That just makes your problem bigger, doesn't it?"

Offline AlanS

• Conservative Superhero
  • Proud Infidel
« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2011, 10:33:56 PM »
I had to inform the wife today that the boys and I will starve with no peanut butter. She didn't find it amusing.
"Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem."

Thomas Jefferson

RickZ

« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2011, 04:13:49 AM »
May I suggest {scribbles note to self} that if you're going to stock up on peanut butter and you like chunky, buy some smooth or creamy, too.  Creamy peanut butter can be used in cooking.

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
  • Alea iacta est! Libertatem aut mori!
« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2011, 06:38:33 AM »
I'll have to check the inventory, I thought we had a fair amount on hand, but a second check can't hurt.

We are now where The Founders were when they faced despotism.