Author Topic: Christmas Movies, Songs and Specials  (Read 570 times)

Offline LadyVirginia

• Conservative Superhero
  • Mt. Vernon painting by Francis Jukes
Christmas Movies, Songs and Specials
« on: November 30, 2011, 07:37:24 PM »
Of course, when you turn on the tv today you might be hard pressed to know it's Christmas time.  But I do remember as a kid that once Thanksgiving was over it was time for the old movies, tv specials and cartoons to appear.

We don't usually watch tv while eating dinner but for a treat the other night I popped in the Charlie Brown Christmas for the kids.  Hadn't seen it in years.  I explained to them that if you wanted to see an old favorite back in the day you had to watch because you only had that one chance every year.

I'm pretty sure we watched every Christmas special that was on.  I, of course, remember the Bing/Bowie moment in 1977.

My mom never played records except at Christmas.  I'm still partial to the Bing/Martin/Sinatra versions of the Christmas songs (though I never get tired of Josh Groban's album Noel).
« Last Edit: November 30, 2011, 08:06:06 PM by LadyVirginia »
"And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor."

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I iz also makin a list. U on it pal.
Re: Christmas Movies, Songs and Specials
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2011, 07:51:34 PM »
I'm still partial to the Bing/Martin/Sinatra versions of the Christmas songs (though I never get tired of Gosh Groban's album Noel).

Dean Martin Christmas Album; from when I was fifteen and in love for the first time.  It was the most ..... magical Christmas of my life.

I've got an old vinyl record *dinosaur* with the originals on it sung by older dinosaurs than I, dead now; never fails to imbue the Christmas spirit for me.

There's a Christmas album by a group that The WarRoom has been playing lately, "The Interior Castle";  chorals.  Beautiful.
"Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer." - Mark Twain

"Let us assume for the moment everything you say about me is true. That just makes your problem bigger, doesn't it?"